Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They are used without permission.
Note: This, in case you can’t tell, is Emily’s thoughts about the chase. Not the best fic I’ve written, though. Try to enjoy it.


The Love of the Chase
Part 4
Emily

by Andrea



I’ve been on the run my entire life.

Ever since my brother, Jarod, was captured by the Centre, my family has been on the run. Seperately.

My mother and I are together, and my father and the clone are together. My other brother, Kyle, was also kidnapped by the Centre.

I never knew Jarod, except through pictures and stories. I haven’t seen my father or my younger brother either. I only know that he exhists because my father managed to contact us once. I knew Kyle, for a few short years, then he too was taken.

My mother and I never tried to look for Jarod because it was too dangerous. If they had known that we were still alive, they would have been after us. For that matter, they are now after me.

I left Mom, because I wanted to find Jarod myself. I was tired of not knowing him.

I messed up. Big time. Somehow, some Sweepers found me. Now, they are on my trail too.

But they’ll never find me.

I have been on the run my entire life. I’m used to it. Used to the shabby motels, the roach infested rooms. Used to a life on the run. Used to not attracting attention.

As I think about myself, my thoughts turn to my brother.

He has been on the run longer than me. For four years, he has evaded the Centre. I have learned a lot about him, just by reading the newspapers. But I can never catch him, it seems. He stays in one place just long enough to help somebody, then he’s gone.

I also have learned that the Centre has sent three people to capture Jarod. I’ve even seen them, once. I was staying at a hotel where Jarod had been days ago, and they had come to look for clues.

Miss Parker, Sydney, and Broots. The two guys seemed pretty nice, but Parker didn’t. What a b*tch. Believe me, that is the approiate word. Syd and Broots seemed like they wouldn’t hurt a fly, but she…she, I knew, would do anything to capture Jarod.

Mom taught me a lot about the Centre, so I would be aware. She told me about the Parkers, the heirarchy of the Centre. What the Centre does, how they do it…I was horrified.

So, I knew about her. I knew her history. That, Mom had known too. Mom had had a friend on the inside, who sometimes told her bits and pieces of what was happening. That’s how she learned Jarod escaped, finally, after 30 years of captivity. But, she didn’t learn anymore. Her friend was killed.

Soon after that, I left to try and find Jarod. I almost succeded once. Almost. I ran into some Sweepers, and I had to leave. I had tracked Jarod to a small town. But, the Centre had found him too. A few hours after I arrived, they came.

I think that Jarod knows about me now. I know he never knew he had a sister. Once, I had forgotten something at a motel. I had had to leave in a hurry, and I ended up coming back to get it. The manager told me that a man had come around looking for me. The man he described was a perfect picture of Jarod.

Now that Jarod knows, I have to believe that he will come looking for me, instead of the other way around.