Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaim: I do not own The Pretender, NBC does.

The Love of the Chase
Part 3
Sydney

by Andrea




My mind isn’t on the paperwork on my desk. Instead, it is on Jarod. The escapee I am assigned to find.

Although, I must say, I am certainly not helping my colleagues find Jarod. I’m more interested in helping him escape the Centre forever. I do everything I can to help him.

I suspect that Miss Parker knows my motives.

But do I really care, I ask myself. And the answer is NO. For I helped hold Jarod captive in this place for over thirty years.

I feel like a father to him, although I shouldn’t. I told Jarod over and over that our relationship was a business one…but we grew close. Now, he turns to me whenever he needs help, or if he doesn’t understand something about the world, or if he just wants to talk.

I am happy that he escaped. That he left this hellish place.

And I want him to stay out of the Centre.

This wish is made harder by the fact that I am assigned to recapture Jarod, along with Miss Parker and Broots. Broots is a great guy; he wouldn’t hurt a flea. But Miss Parker is a different matter. She is determined to capture Jarod, so that she can leave the Centre.

My thoughts turn away from Jarod to Miss Parker.

She is like a daughter to me.

I cannot believe all the things the Centre has done to her. Like Jarod once said, it’s a miracle she’s still alive.

When she first started coming to the Centre with her mother, she was the sweetest little girl. Then her mother died, and everything changed.

Her father, who wanted his daughter to be just like him, sent her to boarding school. He succeeded in his quest. When Parker came back, years later, she was different. Just like her father, cold and ruthless.

She started working for the Centre, something I hoped that would never happen. She was determined to make her way to Corporate, and she did. After a few years as a Sweeper, then she spent 3 years as Head of Security.

A few months after she made Corporate, Jarod escaped. Parker was called back into the field to find him, something she wasn’t happy about.

At first, she was determined to catch him. Then, Jarod started opening her eyes to the lies around her, with the truth buried beneath them. Then, she didn’t care about catching Jarod as much.

Parker doesn’t give as much energy and time to finding Jarod as she did before. Something I am grateful for. For I know that she has the Pretender gene, and if she really wanted to catch Jarod, she could.

When I think of Jarod and Parker, I always think of the SIM that helped them meet. They fell in love at the first sight of each other, and they were inseparable. Then, Catherine died, and everything changed.

"Syd?" It is Broots, awaking me from my reverie of memories. I leave the thoughts behind, and start a new day of chasing.