Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

[ LIMBO : SALVATION ]
By Andrea



Disclaimer:: NBC owns the Pretender, I own the words




Jarod woke slowly, his senses floating above him on a fluffy cloud. Wondering what was going on, and where he was, he tried to sit up. Just as another thought flew into his mind. Where was Parker?

If he was here, was she here too? Was that why Jarod was in this place? To somehow help Parker?

The overgrown bushes to his side moved, and Jarod turned immediately at the noise, only to see Angelo crawl out of the foliage. "Help Sister," was all Jarod needed to hear, and he was off in an instant, following the Empath on hands and knees.

-~-~-~-~-

Willie the cruel shoved Miss Parker into a chair situated in Raines' Lab. The doctor himself was grinning eagerly, happy to have another victim to experiment on. And who better than Miss Parker? The witch had scorned him for years, and here was his chance for revenge.

Carefully selecting a medium-size syringe from a table filled with vials and bottles, Raines cleared the air bubbles and injected the contents of the tube into Parker's left arm before she could blink. She looked at him; still weak from the beating Raines had allowed Willie to administer. "What was that?"

Should he indulge her? Why not, the warped doctor decided. "Just something that will make it easier on everyone."

Parker cried, "Make what easier?"

They didn't answer this question, and only waited for the drug to take effect. When the malicious doctor thought enough time had passed, he began his ruthless tirade.

-~-~-~-~-

Jarod had been trailing Angelo's route for a day, and his crazy path didn't make any sense. Angelo would often backtrack, and go around tiny lakes the two could have splashed through.

He finally stopped the endless walking when darkness fell, and settled down in a minute clearing. "Angelo, what is going on?" Jarod asked, finally.

In response, the Empath pressed Jarod's hand to his, filling Jarod with the information he had, the memories, the pain.

When Jarod had all the data, he tried to assimilate it. Somehow, Parker was at the Centre, and Lyle had captured her. He'd held a 'trial,' and had given Miss Parker over to Raines. The Pretender knew he had to rescue Parker, somehow.

Wait a second...how is this possible? How is the Centre here? How am I here?

-~-~-~-~-

It didn't take Raines long to erase or alter every happy memory that Parker had, and replaced them with the memories he thought she should have instead. He was systematically going through her brain, effectively molding her into a perfect tool for the Centre.

She had the brains and genetic code of a Pretender, even though she had never been trained. Her mother's 'inner sense' didn't hurt either, undisciplined as it was.

She had experienced Simulations; knew how the exercises worked.

She'd worked for the Centre for years, knew the inside politics.

She had experience in both the real and the Centre universe.

She'd the attitude, the aptitude, and the body to be a wonderful assassin.

And above all Parker had killed for the Centre before.

-~-~-~-~-

Drifting out of the heavenly abyss of blackness, the woman regained consciousness slowly. Where am I? She knew the answer instantly; she was asleep, in Raines' Lab.

"What am I doing here?" She asked quickly.

Raines thought fast and replied, "You were walking in the hall and fainted. You need to eat more, or you'll have more of these spells."

"Well, can I go now? I have work to do," Parker asked impatiently.

Raines nodded his assent. "Yes, you may. Don't forget, though," Raines started, laying his plans in motion. "You have a job to do tonight."

-~-~-~-~-

Angelo appeared out of thin air, startling Jarod, who was gazing at the large corporation set into the grassy plains. He was surprised to see it here, wherever here was. "Angelo found a way."

Jarod whistled excitedly. "How?"

"Later," Angelo replied, and lay on the soft grass. Jarod didn't protest further, he too was tired after a long tromp through the thick woods.

-~-~-~-~-

Late in the black night a single operative left the Centre. She glided swiftly through the silent night; clad in a dark full-length body suit.

Quickly and easily, she slid into the Tower's security system, and disabled the programs, looping the cameras in certain areas. Making her way quietly up to the very top floor of the building, she entered the office of the Sub-Director.

A quick slash to the throat and wrists made the job look like an apparent suicide, prints on the silver-bladed knife further supported the crime.

-~-~-~-~-

On her short walk back to the Centre, she took the fastest way, cutting through the woods. A beam of moonlight filtered through the guardian pines, bouncing off the silver square ring on her first finger...

-~-~-~-~-~-

...A glint that shinned right into Jarod's half-open eyes. Up and running instantly, he spotted the tall, slim figure racing over the emerald-green ground.

"PAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRKKEEERR!" He screamed, trying to catch up to her with every long stride he took.

-~-~-~-~-

The word hit her, she knew that voice! Pausing for a second in her hurried frenzy, she stopped and turned towards the voice...running to her was a vision from the past...

-~-~-~-~-~-

When he saw her halt, Jarod once again shouted her name.

Ironic, isn't it...you chasing her, when it should be the other way around

Putting on an extra burst of speed, Jarod reached Parker before she could flee again.

He grabbed out for her hand...