Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own Jarod, Miss Parker, or "Pretender." Thanx for not suing!
_____


When The Past Comes Back To Haunt You
(5/5)
by Oriana Lemke



He was coming to. At first all he could make out were blurry red spots in the black, but as his eyes focused he realized they were images of the same red light bulb, dangling from the ceiling. Only one clear thought was able to stick in his mind: These blows to the head were getting old, and damn annoying.

"So, you've finally decided to wake up, hmm?" The voice was deep, hoarse. Jarod wasn't sure where it was coming from; it seemed to be echoing from everywhere. "I must admit I was getting impatient, having to wait so long. And it wasn't as if you were originally going to be invited to this blessed occasion as it was." Blessed occasion? What the hell was he talking about? Jarod tried to move, only to find that he was constrained. He tilted his head up, and saw that he was handcuffed to the headboard of the bed he was lying on.

"Oh, please, don't get up. Rest."

"Where's Parker?" Jarod growled. "What have you done with her?"

"Nothing. Not yet, anyhow. But tonight...well, let's just say I'll be one satisfied man."

"Where is she, you son of a bitch?"

"It's my job to keep tabs on her," the voice shouted. "A job I've done well. So you just stop worrying about her. If I were you, I'd start worrying about myself."

"Don't you get it? I don't care what happens to me. Parker is all that matters."

"Finally, something we agree on." Footsteps echoed, and Jarod heard the squeak of a door opening. The door closed, and he was alone.

~~~~~~~~~

Three hours later, the stalker was finished with his preparations. He walked out of a room, carrying a single white rose with him, and carefully locked the door behind him. Everything inside was perfect, and he couldn't have anyone messing anything up.

He moved down the dimly lit hallway to a door, different than the others in that it was painted a beautiful blue, the color of her eyes. He opened the door -the only one unlocked in this place, because why would Parker run?- and stepped inside. He looked over at his beloved, and smiled. She was so beautiful, so perfect. And his. All his.

Parker was still asleep. He'd injected her with a rather heavy sedative, a much gentler method than the rough one he'd used on Jarod. He had to admit, he liked hitting the arrogant pretender.

He had brought her to this room especially. He wanted her to get a feel of it, before tonight. It was a fine decorating job he had done in here, if he did say so himself. Perhaps even better than that of the room he'd just left.

He walked over to where Parker lie, and brushed the rose across her face. She took a deep breath, and gave the light groan of someone waking up when they're still exhausted. As her eyes slowly fluttered open, he took a step back into the shadows, wanting to see her reaction to the room before showing himself.

Her first reaction, once her mind was clear enough to develop one, was to get up and run. She didn't get very far, however. Parker felt a soft, but solid, pull on her wrists, and she looked up to see that both wrists were tied to the wrought-iron bed with deep red silk scarves. She gave a few more pulls, but the scarves didn't give. Parker, realizing she wouldn't be going anywhere, decided to check out the room she was in, for possible exits and weapons.

She was lying on an iron bed, with a canopy and pulled-back curtains of light, see-through black fabric. The sheets underneath her were deep red satin. Scattered everywhere, on the bed and the floor, were red rose petals. And her outfit...it took Parker a moment to realize she was wearing the very dress that she'd bought in town, especially for her dinner with Jarod. Scattered on the floor, and filling various shelves on the walls, were hundreds of white lit candles. And the air stank of her perfume, her mother's perfume, a scent she normally liked, but not this strong and certainly not in an environment like this.

One corner of the room caught her eye, and Parker gasped in shock and disgust. Dozens of blue candles surrounded a shrine, decorated with black-and-white photos of her. Someone had taken a red marker and drawn hearts all over them. Dead roses were strewn everywhere. In the very center, among the chaos of photos, was a large framed picture. It had probably been a real wedding picture originally, or perhaps a full page from a bridal magazine, but the heads had been replaced. The bride's face was her own, evidently cut from some photograph, and the groom's new face was...Parker peered closer. She didn't recognize the man at all, but it was probably her stalker.

"I knew you'd like it," a deep voice said happily at her side, from the dark shadows. She jerked her head in the direction of the voice, and froze as a man appeared. He walked towards her, at a steady, assured pace. His smile was one of ecstasy and pride, but Parker found his hazel eyes cold and calculating, enough so to send a chill down her back. He was wearing a tuxedo, and his dark hair was styled just like Jarod's.

He towered over her -a good six feet tall, she thought, if not better- in such a way that she almost shrank back.

"I put such work, and such detail into this room," he continued. "But it was all worth it. I knew if anyone would appreciate my hard work, it would be you." Parker didn't say anything. She couldn't. It was as if she had frozen completely. She could only look up at him, confused with everything that was happening, and this stranger acting like she knew him. He noticed, and hesitated, momentarily unsure.

"Darling, you recognize me, of course." It was more of a question that a statement. "My love, what's wrong?" He reached a hand out to her tied one. Parker jerked out of his grasp.

"Don't touch me!" He pulled back, shocked by her words. What was wrong with her? Surely she thought he was someone else, to be acting like this.

"Everything's fine," he tried to assure her, sitting on the edge of the bed. She sat up, and scooted a bit away, as much as her restraints would allow. "It's me, darling. It's Ethan. Everything is going to be okay now." He reached out, intending to stroke her cheek with the back of his hand. Parker finally managed to move by will, and kicked his hand away with angry force and no hesitation.

"Don't come near me," she warned. "I don't even know anybody named Ethan. Where's Jarod?" That certainly hit a sore spot with him. His eyes narrowed, and his mouth twisted in fury.

"Jarod?! I do all of this, go through everything to bring you here, and you ask about Jarod?!" His screams were echoing through the room, and his face had turned red, with veins on his forehead bulging out. Maybe he'll do us all a favor, Parker thought, and drop dead with a stroke. He stopped yelling, and turned his back to her. He stood for a moment, with his head in his hands, trying to calm his nerves. When he turned back to her, he was completely calm again, no signs of his sudden fit of rage. Jeckyl and Hyde, she thought with a shudder.

"I'm sorry, my love," he said soothingly. "Really, I know I should be patient. After spending so much time with a man like Jarod, I should have expected this. He's brainwashed you against me, I can understand that. But it doesn't matter what he does. You're mine, and he was a fool for trying to take you. True love always wins out in the end."

"Why am I here?" she asked, barely able to keep her voice steady.

"I've planned everything. Right down to the smallest detail. Granted, Jarod was an unexpected addition, but that's a problem easily solved." He smiled down at her. "Soon my love. Soon, everything will be as it's meant to be." Well, Parker thought, that really answered my question. Ethan reached over, and Parker tried to scoot back, but he simply smiled reassurance and took hold of the silk scarves, undoing the knots. She looked at him in surprise. He was letting her loose?

"Come," he said, gesturing for her to follow. "I think it's time for a little walk down memory lane, before we get too caught up in the excitement." Excitement of what? she wondered. Parker followed him to the door. He opened it and stepped back, but shot an arm out to block the doorway before she could walk out.

"Just in case you decided to do something besides what you're told, it's probably best to warn you, I've locked all the doors. There's no way of getting out, without me by your side." He lowered his arm, and she walked out into the hallway. It was lit by a single hanging light, a red bulb that hurt her eyes after the bright glow of the candles back in the room. Ethan took the lead, beckoning for her to follow him. They stopped at the end, before a door decorated with paper doves and confetti. He unlocked the door, opened it, and gestured her in. Parker entered, uneasy with the fact that he was behind her, where she couldn't see. Then, she took one glance at the room before her, and nearly fainted. Her mind was spinning, and her stomach twisted into knots.

The room looked like a chapel before a wedding.

The carpeting and walls were a deep red. At the other end of the room, facing her, was an altar, an old wooden one covered in red lace. There were short wooden pews, six altogether, in two rows, decorated with white streamers, bows and flowers. Candles were everywhere, in the pews, along the aisle, and in a large semi-circle around the altar. Glass doves hung from the ceiling, reflecting the candlelight in strange ways and making Parker dizzy when she attempted to look up. Classical music played softly in the background.

Something warm pressed against her foot, and Parker jumped before she looked down. It was the two white rabbits, she realized, that had been left at her front door. Something caught her eye, and she bent down, picking up one of the rabbits. Looking closer, she saw that white ribbon had been tied around it's neck, and under the pet's chin, hooked to the ribbon, was a gold ring. A wedding ring, she realized. That thought reminded her of something else, and she glanced down at her hands. The square silver ring was still on her right hand, but her left hand was missing one very significant piece of jewelry. It was gone, she saw with sadness. Her promise ring, that wonderful gift from Jarod, had been taken by Ethan. God only knew what he had done with it.

"I had something engraved on yours," he said, breaking into her thoughts. "You know, to make it even more romantic." Ethan picked up the other rabbit, and yanked a second ring loose. "Here, look." That was the last thing she wanted to do, but for now, playing into his delusion was the only thing that Parker could think of. So she took the ring from him, and read the engraving: Mine forever.

"A special reminder," he said proudly, "of the bond we share." It was so close to the sweet, wonderful thing that Jarod had done, and yet so sick and twisted a version of it, that Parker truly felt like she would collapse at any moment. She felt ill, plain and simple. Ethan saw her reaction, and decided that she was just overwhelmed with all the excitement of today's impending events. He took the ring, which she let go of with all willingness, and placed it in his pocket for safe keeping.

"Come on," he said softly, taking her hand. She wanted to yank it away, but her mind felt so fuzzy and far away from all of this, that anything Ethan did really didn't feel as if it was real anymore. "We still have a little time before the ceremony. Why not spend it going down memory lane, eh, honey?" They walked down to the front left pew, the only one without candles everywhere, and sat.

From his side, Ethan took hold of a photo album, the lacey white kind used for wedding memories, and handed it to Parker. She took it obediently, and opened it up to the first page. Despite her state of shock, the picture did catch her attention.

It was a black and white photograph, clearly taken from one of the Centre's security cameras. In the picture, two children were kneeling next to a mess of odds and ends on the floor. The girl, she could tell, was herself, and from the similar appearance, she'd bet anything that the boy was Ethan.

"The first time we met," he murmured lovingly. "Wasn't that a great day?" He turned the page, and the same type of picture appeared, only this one showed the two of them -same age as in the first, and in the same room- hugging. "But this, this was the day I truly fell in love with you." Ethan's voice grew deeper, as if it were trying to control some fury. "Even when others caused you to stray, I remained loyal." The things he was telling her were beginning to come together, like pieces of a puzzle. Still, there were things she didn't understand. Much as she detested the thought of pretending to like this guy, she knew that it was the only option.

"Tell me," she said in a sweet, dreamy voice, "about it. How we met, the first time and the second time, all of it. I do enjoy looking back over our love story." Ethan's smile spread into a satisfied grin, as he saw her more eager to talk about the two of them.

"Of course," he said, settling down in the pew. "I suppose we have enough time before the ceremony...I can almost see you now, as you were,back then. As pretty as an angel, almost as beautiful as you are today. I can remember walking through that room, so carefully, so I wouldn't drop the model I'd been working on all morning. Of course I always made little mistakes, stupid things like forgetting stuff...but I was concentrating so hard on carrying that model, that when I tripped and it fell out of my hands, well, of course you understand why I was so upset. There I was, on the floor, trying to pick the pieces up, when you walked in. You must've heard the noise. Anyhow, you got right down on the floor and helped me clear up the mess. The first nice thing anybody had ever done for me...When we finished clearing things up, you patted me on the back and told me, 'We all make mistakes once and awhile. Don't worry, everything will be fine.' Then you walked away. I was so happy...I couldn't get you out of my mind. I'd heard that your father called you 'Angel,' and now I knew why...It was such a great honor, seeing you a second time...a week later, when I'd just been chewed out by that asshole Raines...I remember standing there, crying, when you came in and gave me hug...It was the best feeling I'd ever felt...It was at that very moment that I'd known I loved you. And it didn't seem to matter what happened to me in that place, because in the end we would be together." Ethan's eyes narrowed. "Then, Jarod had to come and ruin everything. Tried to steal you away, make you forget." A thought hit Parker, and she glanced down at the date on the security camera photo. Sure enough, it was taken only a week or so before she and Jarod had exchanged that memorable childhood kiss.

Ethan continued. "He tried to take what was mine...but I showed him, didn't I? Once they sent me to that hospital, the one with the really cushy room,--" A mental hospital, Parker realized right away, and no wonder. "--I knew it wouldn't take me long to get out, to you...soon, I knew, we'd be together again. Only this time, people like Jarod could never come between us." His eyes became a little glazed, as if he were seeing something else entirely. "At first, I was afraid that he had gotten to you, with those ridiculous gifts of his and those phone calls to tease you...But I saw how you behaved, in front of the cameras, doing everything I loved to see you do, and I knew everything would be fine." That really caught Parker's attention.

"The cameras?" she murmured, trying not to seem too interested.

"Yeah...It was great, watching you. You knew, and you played with me all the time...brushing your soft hair in front of the mirror at night, those long bubbles baths after rough trips, sleeping in those amazing nightgowns...and those men that you brought home. I knew, when you were making love to them, that you were really thinking of me." That nauseous feeling was returning. Parker grew weak as she thought of him watching her, believing that every little thing she did was for him. She couldn't hold it in anymore. Parker had to speak the thoughts she had, hoping it could help to clarify things for at least one of them.

"You sad, weak person," she whispered, staring at him in disbelief.

"What?" Ethan was surprised to see her behavior change so quickly. What had he done?

"Two times. That's what this is about? All of the panic, and the pain, and the trouble you've caused, all of this because of two damn run-ins we had as children?!" He stared at her blankly, obviously not getting the point of any of this. "You based a lifetime obsession on something that happened when we were just children!" She stood, towering above him with clenched fists and a furious fist, and glared at him in spite. "I don't even remember this happening, you half-wit! And that's because, it meant nothing! Absolutely nothing! And as for those cameras--if I had known that you were watching me, I would have had that house demolished in minutes." Ethan was shaking his head, not wanting to hear what she said, but Parker had no intention of stopping. "Now get this straight. I never loved you, and I never will. I don't love you, you sick bastard!" Ethan's head shot up, and Parker knew that she had hit a nerve. The thing was, she didn't care. She had been scared, terrorized and stalked. She was god-only-knew where, and worst, she had absolutely no idea where Jarod was. And all because of yet another bad product of the Centre. She'd had enough.

Ethan stood up, one quick, fluid motion that Parker hadn't expected. Before she could back up, his hand shot out and grabbed her by the elbow. His grip was hurting her. Parker gasped in pain, and she felt her eyes tearing at the thought of not knowing where Jarod was, but she refused to stand down. As he stared at her with hurt, angry eyes, she glared right back.

"I want you to stop telling me these lies!" Ethan shouted. He threw her down onto the pew, but didn't let go of her.

"They're not lies, they're the truth!" she shot right back. Ethan looked down at his hand, holding her reddening arm, as if only now seeing her painful situation for the first time. He dropped her arm, and took a step back, a look of guilt flashing across his place before being replaced with anger once again.

"I'm sorry. I have no right to take this out on you." His voice was calm, accepting. But Parker wasn't about to fall for the mood switch; she knew he'd be pissed again in a moment. Sure enough, his face began to redden and his eyes narrowed. "This is all Jarod's fault," he angrily realized. "He's the one making you tell these lies, trying to turn you against me!" He reached inside his tux, and withdrew a gun. "I'll take care of that meddling fool once and for all." Parker jumped from her seat.

"No!" She tried to reach for the gun, but he held it out of her reach. "Damn it, no! I will not let you hurt him!"

"Enough!" he screamed. With a sudden surge of anger, he swung his arm at her, sending Parker flying into the wall. She landed with a sickening thud. Concern surfacing, and mixing with the fury written so clearly on his face, Ethan ran over to her. Parker was unconscious, but probably wouldn't have anything worse than one hell of a headache when she woke up. Certain that she would be fine, Ethan straightened and moved to the aisle.

"Now see what you made me do?" he muttered as he swiftly made his way down the aisle and through the door, leaving Parker behind.

~~~~~~~~~

A stinging slap to the face woke Jarod up, which he had to admit he didn't appreciate. Given the choice between his dismal surroundings, and dreams filled with Parker and PEZ, he couldn't help but desire the latter.

"You know," Jarod muttered as he opened his eyes, "you and I really need to talk. I mean, even you have to admit, this hitting thing is getting really old."

"I agree," snarled the same deep voice.

"Oh, well then, lovely," he replied. "Just get these cuffs off, lead me to Parker, point the way out, and we'll call it even."

"I was thinking of something a bit more...permanent." The click of a cartridge being loaded echoed through the dark room.

"That can't be good," Jarod remarked to himself.

"Not really. At least, not for you. Parker and I, on the other hand, will be able to go on with our life together, without pathetic interferences like you."

"I'm sorry, but did you just call me pathetic? Man, someone's in big time denial."

"Oh, shut up, smart ass. I could make this much, much worse, you know. I chose a gun because it would be quick and painless. No need upsetting the fiancée with gruesome details of your death."

"Fiancée? Wow, you're in a deeper delusion than I thought." Out of nowhere, a hand came flying at his face, it's strike immediately turning Jarod's cheek red.

"That'll leave a mark. But seriously, what ever made you even dream that Parker could possibly give a damn about you, Mr. Lunatic Extraordinaire?" Another slap to the cheek.

"Would you shut up?" Ethan demanded.

"And while we're on the topic of wishful thinking," Jarod continued, "that's exactly what believing this to be a good interior decorating job is--wishful thinking."

"You think you can just mock me? I don't take crap from anybody! I'm better than you in every way imaginable."

"Prove it," Jarod laughed with mocking disbelief.

"Your life," Ethan shrugged. He reached over, about to unlock the cuffs.

"Now, that would be your first mistake," Jarod pointed out, punching him in the nose before jumping to the other side of the bed. Ethan rubbed his nose to make sure it wasn't broken, then stared in shock down at the already-undone handcuffs. How the hell had this guy gotten loose?

"Please," Jarod laughed. "That wasn't even challenging. I've broken out of, and snuck back into, the Centre more times than you can count." Already, he was feeling a bit weary. He felt a little woozy, but he'd be fine. He had to be. This guy seemed to be in great shape, and it's difficult to fight a muscle man when you're about faint.

"A nice parlor trick," Ethan muttered, raising the gun, "but I'm willing to guess even you get hurt by bullets." Jarod grinned knowingly, and suddenly dropped from view. Cursing, Ethan made his way around the bed. Nothing. He peered under the bed expectantly. Again, nothing. Irritated, and becoming a little intimidated, Ethan peered into the darkness around him, for the first time damning his dim choice in atmosphere.

"Come on, Jarod," he called into the shadows. "This game is quickly growing dull. Face it, I've got the gun. I win."

"I wouldn't be sure," came a voice from his right. Ethan swung his gun over to aim, only to have it kicked out of his hand. The weapon went flying through the air, landing with a loud clatter near the open door.

"Well that's just great," Ethan called into the dark. "What, it gives you some pleasure, knowing that I'll have to kick your ass at hand-to-hand, instead of a simple bullet to the brain?" He sighed, and headed to the center of the room, where a red light illuminated him. "Come on, come on, let's get this over with."

"Fine by me," Jarod muttered from behind him. Ethan spun around, and grinned evilly.

There was a moment where the tension hung thick in the room, and neither moved a muscle. Then, at the same moment, they both sprung forward, moving immediately into a flurry of fighting moves. Jarod and Ethan were both good fighters, but each had a weakness: Jarod was quickly using up what little energy he'd managed to conjure up, and Ethan's anger was blurring his judgement, causing stupid mistakes.

"You know," Jarod managed in a hoarse voice as he avoided a swing, "this is really pointless. Even if you do kill me -which, by the way, there's no chance in hell of-, you still have to deal with--," he dodged another blow, "--the fact that Parker actually has a brain. She's too damn smart to stay put. And she's definitely too smart to actually marry a psychopath like you." With a growl of anger, Ethan swung hard, the momentum tripping him a bit. The fight continued.

"You know nothing!" Ethan yelled.

"I know Parker," Jarod answered honestly, delivering a swift kick to his chest that threw the man a few feet. "And Parker would never let some heartless man without a conscience like you into her life. That's what her father's for." Ethan jumped up, and moved in for another attack. Unlike Jarod, he seemed to have plenty of energy, mostly drawn from adrenaline.

~~~~~~~~~

In Ethan's makeshift chapel, Parker was coming to. She didn't see Ethan anywhere, but as much as she would have liked to get the hell out of this disturbing room, her head was pounding and the floor was spinning. She'd decided to just sit, much as she hated the thought, and wait until the roller coaster in her mind stopped, when she heard grunts and yelling in the distance.

Just the thought that Jarod could may be be part of whatever commotion was going on, gave her the energy to move, if not slowly. Parker wasn't even going to attempt standing. She opted to crawl, worry for Jarod erasing any cringing at ruining a new, $1300 dress. Besides, it wasn't like she was going to ever wear it again. Nope, after this whole ordeal, burning it seemed appropriate.

Parker finally made it to the door, and willed her eyes to focus long enough to determine which door she needed. She just wanted to find Jarod and get the hell out of here. She remembered Ethan warning her that all the doors were locked, but she didn't give a damn. She'd just find the energy, somehow, to break down any doors in their way.

"Bingo," she whispered. There, at the end of the hall, was the only open door, and it was from there that the sounds were coming. "Well, I know where to go. Now, it's just the matter of getting there." She sighed, and continued to weakly crawl.

Something caught her eye, on the edge of an air vent on the floor. Looking closer, her eyes widened in happy surprise. It was her ring. Ethan had probably been aiming for the vent, and missed. Barely, but the ring was still there and that was all that mattered. Parker reached over and picked it up, careful not to knock it down the vent. Smiling, she slipped it on her wedding ring finger before moving on.

~~~~~~~~~

Jarod couldn't hold up much longer. He was just too exhausted. His own energy had drained long ago; at this point, he was going on sheer will power. Ethan didn't know it, but he was helping--every time he opened his mouth, the man managed to say something about Parker that ticked Jarod off even more, helping to keep his adrenaline up.

And so they fought on, each getting in a few direct hits and both bleeding. Of the two, Ethan was the worse for wear; his nose and lip were wet with blood, and his arms and legs -hidden underneath the tuxedo- were covered in large painful red areas, the result of Jarod's swift blows to his limbs.

"Why are you still fighting?" Ethan demanded. "Surely you know by now just how futile it all is. You're defending a girl that doesn't need to be protected." He swung hard, and heard the satisfying sound of his fist meeting Jarod's stomach. The pretender doubled over in pain, the wind blown out of him.

"As long as you're after her," Jarod gasped, "she'll need my protection." Ethan shook his head at this man's stupidity.

"Why would I hurt her?" Ethan laughed. "Parker is mine. I wouldn't let anything happen to her."

"Parker isn't yours," Jarod said in disgust. "She's a human being, not some inanimate object. You can't own her."

"Parker is mine," Ethan shouted in anger, delivering another blow to Jarod's stomach. He groaned as he collapsed on the floor, the latest blow too much for him to take. Jarod couldn't handle anymore; he was seeing in triples, and there wasn't a muscle that didn't scream in pain. He wanted to fight against this monster hurting Parker, wanted to fight with every fiber in his being, but he was simply too tired.

"I told you I'd win," Ethan cackled, slowly circling him like a vulture moving in on its prey. He kicked Jarod directly on the chest, but was disappointed not to hear any ribs crack. Jarod groaned, but made no move to fight back. Ethan saw it as submission, Jarod knew it was exhaustion. He continued to circle the weakened pretender.

"Parker is mine, Jarod!" Ethan shouted in pleasure. "She always was--," he knelt down and picked Jarod's head up by the hair, forcing them to look eye to eye, "--and she always will be." With a wicked grin of victory, Ethan grasped Jarod's neck with his other hand, slowly clenching it tighter and tighter. Jarod gasped as he struggled to breathe.

"I've won the game, my friend," Ethan sneered. "This over."

"You're right." Startled, Ethan looked up, seeing Parker on the floor, leaning against the doorframe and trying to aim his dropped gun. "It is." A gunshot echoed through the room. He looked down in shock, at the deep red blood quickly staining his shirt. His heart. She had shot him in the heart. Ethan stared at her, in fear and shock and betrayal, before toppling over, dead.

Unlike Jarod, Parker had actually gained a little strength on her way here. She stood, weakly, and made her way over to where Jarod lie on the floor. She sat down on the ground beside him, and for a moment just sat there, silently running her fingers through his hair and allowing them both a little bit of peace. Jarod's eyelids felt like they were held down with metal weights, but he managed to open them, to look up at her. She was all right, he realized, and smiled.

"Come on," Parker finally whispered. "Let's go." She helped Jarod to his feet, and he winced at the effort. Parker wasn't even sure how he was managing to stay conscious. She wrapped one arm around his waist, and used the other to help brace his back. They moved out the door and down the hall, Parker helping Jarod every step of the way.

Neither mentioned Ethan. Parker knew she'd tell Jarod the whole story behind that lunatic eventually. Someday. Maybe.

~~~~~~~~~

Refuge.

One simple word. And yet, every time she read the ring's engraving, Parker's heart would pull and her mind spun through every doubt and what-if once again. She would sigh, knowing her decision was the right one, and slide the silver band back onto her right ring finger. Then, of course, she'd look over at Jarod, sleeping peacefully on the bed next to her, and mindlessly play with the ring. Soon, before she even realized it, she'd be staring at the engraving again, thus beginning the unhappy cycle once more.

"You're going back," came a sad, tired voice, "aren't you?" Parker's head jerked up, as her mind finally processed the thought that Jarod was speaking to her.

"What are you doing up?" She glanced over at the clock. "It's late, and you need to rest."

"Forget that." Jarod insisted as he sat up. "I can sleep anytime. This needs to be resolved right now."

"Nothing to resolve."

"The hell there isn't," he said bluntly. He cocked his head to once side as he tried to see her face in the moonlight, hoping to get some idea of what was going on in her mind. "You've obviously made a decision, but did you really think I'd not bother to fight for you?"

"And what makes you so sure I'm going, Wonderboy?" Parker smiled.

"I know you, Parker. Just as well as you know me." Her smile faltered. She didn't say anything for a moment, but finally got up with a sigh and walked over to the bed, sliding under the covers next to Jarod. She rested her head on his shoulder. He took her hand, and their fingers laced together.

"If that's true, then you know arguing about it is a waste of time," she pointed out.

"Yes, but that's never stopped me before." They both chuckled at the reality of that remark, but eventually grew quiet. It was too perfect, in the cover of night, being close and safe like this. They reveled in the sensation, knowing it wouldn't last.

"I don't want to go back," Parker confessed after awhile. "And yet, at the same time, I need to. It's the right thing to do."

"Us staying together is the right thing to do," Jarod argued.

"Yeah, it is. But not right now. It couldn't hurt for you to have a real ally in the Centre for a few years. And there are still some answers I need, we both need, that can only be found at the Centre."

"It's going to be hard," he whispered. "It took us too long to get this far. I don't want to wait anymore."

"Me neither." She turned, wrapping her arms around his middle and cuddling close. "But not for too long. I promise. In a couple of years, we'll pick up right from here." Parker tilted her head to look up into his eyes. "That is, if the offer that came along with this ring is still good."

"It'll last for as long as you need it to," Jarod guaranteed her. She smiled, and gently kissed him.

"Good. Then we won't say goodbye. Just...see you soon." Jarod kissed her back, and they both moved closer as the kiss grew deeper.

"I'd say we've earned the right to use appropriate 'see you soon' behavior, wouldn't you?"

"At this rate," she laughed as he began kissing her neck, "I'll only make it back at the Centre a year." Jarod made his way back up to her mouth, and delivered a passionate kiss. She sighed contentedly and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Or...maybe six months. Tops."


The End