Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: NBC/MTM and TNT own them , I don't. This is written for amusement only so please don't sue. I don't have much money anyway...

Title: In the cards
By: Chris
Spoilers: absolutely none
Rated: G

CARD 2

The plane landed on a small airport on the southern island of Japan. The only airport that had given them permission to land. Another one of Jarod's jokes she supposed. But the only way to ensure she got her next postcard. The moment they left the plane a man approached them and bowed low before them.
"Miss Pa'ke'? Miste' B'oots? Sydney?"
"Yes, that's us. How can we help you?" Sydney asked.
"I have a message fo' you f'om Miste' Ja'od. He is such a wise man!"
He handed Miss Parker a postcard. She turned it around and read the few lines he had scribbled onto it.
"Hello Parker. I never thought you'd really follow me as far as Japan. Well, just a test. If you read this I'll already be back in the US. I just had a few things to do here and I hope Shig Tam doesn't do too much to the plane. There aren't many technicians around who know how to fix a broken wing. Shig loves American things. Love Jarod."
She handed Sydney the postcard and then looked around. Shig Tam had disappeared. The plane was still standing where they had left it and she couldn't see anything that was wrong. What had he meant with broken wings? Suddenly smoke rose from one of the wing. Parker screamed. Shig Tam re-appeared from a small hut.
"You called?" he asked and smiled. Parker just pointed towards the plane.
"Fix it."
"What is you paying?"
"WHAT?"
"Paying? Money? Dolla'? Gold? Info'mation? Anything else?"
"Nothing. You'll get out of it alive."
"So'y, no paying, no wo'k. You take a jeep to the next town. The'e you find a telephone and a mechanist."
"How far is it to the next town and where do we get a jeep?" Sydney asked in a very low voice.
"84 miles to next town. I can b'ing you the'e but you have to pay. You can as well pay me fo' fixing you' plane."
Sydney looked at Parker and nodded.
"Just do it," she said through clenched teeth. She took the postcard from Sydney and watched Shig Tam walking towards the plane with a broad smile on his face. The postcard showed the skyline of Chicago. He hadn't said where he was planning to go next but Parker knew that he had to be in Chicago. "Once this idiot is finished we're going to Chicago."
"Why Chicago, Miss Parker?" Broots asked.
"Because labrat gave us a card from Chicago and I want you to check for any clues on where to find him on this card."
Broots nodded and took the card from Parker. He examined it closely and found a little cross on top of the Hancock Tower.
"We should go to see the John Hancock Tower," he said to Miss Parker.
"We're not going to Chicago for sightseeing, Broots. We want to catch Jarod."
"Yes, Miss Parker, but he has marked the tower with a little cross. I think we will find some evidence there. Or maybe we will find him there."
"What's the monkey doing up there?" Parker asked and pointed at Shig Tam who was walking on the plane's wings. Sydney had to grin. He could easily see why Jarod had chosen the Japanese as their "opponent". He was like Jarod had been when he had been small. Exploring whenever he thought he was left alone. But Jarod had always been under surveillance and he knew that now. Shig Tam jumped down from the plane and came marching towards them.
"Damage fixed. You pay and you get fuel as well. It's empty. You won't come back to Ame'ica like this."
Parker scowled and handed him a bundle of dollar notes. Shig Tam smiled and bowed low before them.
"Now fill it up and then we're gone again."
"Don't you want to ask him about Jarod or what he's done?" Broots whispered from behind.
"I don't care. We came all the way to Japan and he's not here. That's all that counts. You and Sydney ask him. I need a cigarette."
"You started smoking again?" Sydney asked and cocked an eyebrow.
"How can I do without drugs when I have to work on a case like this?" she asked back and took the cigarettes from her pocket. Sydney and Broots walked towards the Japanese and watched him filling up their jet. The huge Centre jet looked out of place on this small airport but Shig Tam seemed used to this kind of planes. He smiled when he saw the two men approach.
"Ja'od said that Miss Pa'ke' wouldn't be very happy with the way things we'e going to be. He was right. He is such a wise man! He helped me ve'y much! But I'm not telling you anything about it. It's a sec'et. You' plane is 'eady. Don't tell Miss Pa'ke' that this was too much money she gave me. Have a safe t'ip home and visit Chicago fo' me."
"How do you know about Chicago?" Broots asked.
"Ja'od told me he was going to Chicago and he told me about you sea'ching for him. And the postca'd's from Chicago too. Am I w'ong?"
"No, Mr. Tam, you're right. Thank you for your help." He turned around and called for Miss Parker. She was still scowling and entered the plane without another word. Broots wanted to protest when she took her cigarette with her but Broots held him back and shook his head.
"Let her have her will," he whispered, "It's a long way back."