Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Hunter

Chapter 7


She's coming again. Mom. Mom is coming to see me-- I can feel it inside. With her long walk and her pretty eyes, she's coming for me.

Yay!

I wonder if she'll bring me something-- she always does, but I wonder if she will every time. Maybe, one day, she'll forget. Or maybe, one night, she won't come at all.

*sob*
The woman rises from her chair at the sound of my cries, looking quite annoyed. She picks me up, more roughly than I want her to, and looks me up and down. I give a protest when she pulls my pants down to see if I need a change, but she ignores it and looks at me with confusion.

"What do you want..."

Duh!

I. Want. My. MOM!

"Listen kid, you have to stop crying-- there's nothing wrong with you! You just ate, I burped you, there's nothing in your diapper-"

"Maybe he just wants you to be more gentle with him."

Mom! She's heeeeere! The woman grumbles something, and I open my eyes to see Mom coming over, her dark hair shinning in the light and her eyes determined.

She picks me out of the nurse's arms, and I instantly stop crying. Woman looks sourly at us, muttering something about unauthorized visits.

"Well then, let's just keep in mind who's paying for your kid's braces," my Mommie says, and the woman walks away in a huff.

I don't care-- Mom's here, and she always makes life better.

Turning her full attention towards me, she smiles and kisses my forehead.

"How's my boy?" I giggle in responce.

"Mommie!" She sighs and shakes her head.

"No, Dameon-- Sister. I'm not mommie."

See, this happens some times. Mommie gets confused. As if she can't feel that I'm her son and she's my Mommie. This always makes me laugh-- it's just so obvious that she's my Mom, I can feel it in my skin and in my tummy. I guess her tummy must not be as all knowing as mine. It's a tiny tummy, so I guess that hurts her chances of feeling how I'm her son, but it's a fun tummy to sleep on, and I think that she does feel that feeling whenever I make my tummy touch hers. Like, maybe I can send her whatever I'm feeling.

I think too much. My head hurts.

Mom smiles at me and repeats that she's my sister and not my mommie. I just laugh and shake my head.

"Mommie came!" I cry and cling to the front of her shirt. She sighs and rubs my back with a smile.

"Okay, we'll work on that latter."

Mommie pulls me away with a smile, and I suddenly realize she didn't come alone. She motions for a man to come out of the shadows, and I look up at him, hearing the voice in the back of my head give this man a name.

"'ack!"

Both Mommie and Jack look at each other in shock.

"How did he..."

"I have no idea," she replies in a awed voice.

"Dameon, how did you know his name was Jack?"

"Voice 'old me. Can Mommie play?"

She swallows and nods slowly.

"Uh, sure Dameon, I'll play..."

"Mommie?"

"Yeah?"

"Bring me 'n'thin'?"

The tension breaks. Both Mommie and Jack burst into laughter, and Mommie hands me over to Jack so she can search through her bag. I love that bag-- it always brings me something soft and loads of fun. Jack and I look at each other, and I reach up a hand (I hate that my hands are so tiny and chubby-- they're too small to do anything cool), and touch his cheek. He seems shocked, but I like the way it feels-- all rough and spiky.

"'ack."

"Yeah, little guy. That's me."

"Not 'ittle." He laughs and shakes his head.

"Of course not-- whose son is he?"

She continues her search through the bag, and I watch eagerly.

"Daddy's and Brigette's-- the wife I mentioned. A cleaner who had a thing for lollypops, power, and guys twice her age."

"Had?"

"Kicked after I delivered Dameon."

"You delivered him? Doesn't sound like you liked her much-- why'd you help her?"

"I didn't plan it. I went there to kill her-- ah ha!"

She pulls a large black teddy bear out of her bag, and I cry out in joy. She grins and hands it over to me, watching in amusement as I try to wrap my arms around it. Stupid arms-- way too small. One day I'll be big, even bigger than Mom and Jack, and I'll be able to wrap my arms and hands around all kinds of stuff...

But until then, I'm still small.

Mom picks me out of Jack's arms and carries me and my new friend over to the soft play mat, laying me down and stroking my back a few times before walking back over to Jack. I stroke my bear's nose and play with his arms, barely hearing what they're sayings. I hate this sometimes-- I always seem to wanna hear and understand and explore everything. I get in trouble, and I don't like getting in trouble. It's not fun.

"This is what you need to stay here for?"

"I can't let him grow up like my generation of Centre children did. I have to make sure they stay away from him."

"You can't take him away from all this?"

"I could try. They'd hunt us until we were both dead or captured. Constantly on the run, hiding from an ever-present enemy... that's no life for a child."

"I agree," he says with a sigh, and Mom gives him a weak smile before looking down at her watch.

"So now what?"

He gives me a smile before sitting down beside me and handing me the right peg for the hole that bear and I are trying to fit something into.

"Now I want to sit here and have some fun with this fine example of all that's right with the world. Have a seat 'Anna."

She laughs and sits down beside me. *sigh*

I looooooooove attention!