Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Hunter, Chapter 5



@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@

I have come to an epiphany on today, this day of days. A Thursday. A day where I did absolutely nothing for anyone else. This is something I love about the world. A normal, boring, run of the mill day can turn out to be a great turning point in life. Back in my cell, everyday was the same, and my
epiphanies, which were few and far between, were always given at the whim ofmy captors, never naturally occurring.

However, I now am blessed with the luxury of being able to form my own life and experience my own revelations. And so, exercising this newly allowed human right, I have come to a very important conclusion about my life and myself.

Cherry PEZ are my favorite. My phone is pressing against my chest from its resting place in my left pocket, and I feel a sudden urge to alert someone as to my newest charactertrait. Hmm, who shall it be tonight, I wonder to myself as I pull it out and look at the speed dial buttons.

1-Miss Parker's Home
2-Miss Parker's Cell
3-Miss Parker's Car Phone
4-Miss Parker's Office
5-Sydney

Such a wide variety to chose from, I reflect with a smile, and look down at the Bugs Bunny watch on my wrist. 10pm. Better make it her office. I press the number and wait for the connection, taking one of the little sweets that have triggered my urge to call her between my lips and sitting back with a smile of anticipation.

The ringing stops as someone picks up, and a decidedly exhausted voice answers, with more than a hint of longing for bed.

"What?"

"Still haven't mastered the simple science of the word 'hello' I see." She gives a groan and a heavy sigh.

"Jarod, I'm really not in the mood."

"Mood? Well, at least you get to chose what mood to be in. Unlike some of us, who are adjusting to having a choice in the matter for the first time in year-"

"Listen PEZ head, today is quite possibly the worst day you could have chosen to call me."

"Aw, is my Huntress feeling a bit over worked? Odd, considering I'm the one who does all the run-"

"Jarod, I have something to tell you."

My heart leaps and she continues, oblivious to my pounding pulse.

"Now, what I am going to say is very important and very crucial to your future. Are you listening?"

"Yes, go ahead Parker."

Information on my family, at last! What had changed her mind about telling me about my past? What had caused her to come to an epiphany much like my own, about what she needed to do for me to even up the score-

"Jarod...There is a labrat in the next room, there is no alcohol in my system, and I am experiencing a severe case of shock. At this point in time, you are a minor to do thing on my list, so back off and wait your turn, you twisted little man."

And with that, my huntress ends the call, and I heard a resounding click in my ear that reverberated through my skull.

She hung up on me... Me! Her prey! Her quarry! Her sole reason for going to work in the morning! Miss Parker disconnected a call with ME. She could miss important clues as to where I am, or hints as to my next pretend, or
something about her mother...

Well if THAT'S the way she wants to be, then she won't be hearing from me for a good week! So there Parker!

...Why do I feel so empty all of a sudden?