Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: „The Pretender" and all it’s characters don’t belong to me, but to some wonderful people at NBC, who deserve promotions. Please don’t sue me, I am making no money from this. I just really enjoy the show. Also, the song is owned by its respective artist, I don’t take credit for it.

Note: This is the continuation of „To Honor" (you should start with part one). I have chosen to turn it into a series, so look for more stories soon.



To Honor
part 2
„To Love: Double Trouble"
By Dede






On the walk up to the sixth floor, every step seemed to take forever and the two weary travelers thought they might never get to the top, but at last, down the hall and to the door. Stopping at the threshold, suddenly it seemed impossible they had climbed the stairs so fast. After a quick knocking, time simply stopped and like a pause button had been hit, nothing moved with the anticipation of an answer. Then a lock was clicked and a beautiful elderly woman cautiously opened the door to see her visitors.

„Mom!" Emily embraced her mother as soon as the door swung open. Jarod was a step or two behind her and stood gazing at his mother, remembering her face and her voice as she spoke,

„Emily! I’m so glad you made it here safely." Margaret hugged her daughter tight. As they released each other, Jarod slid into the doorway.

„Mom…" he whispered, feeling his emotions about to overload. She looked at him with watery eyes, and wrapped her arms around his sides to make sure he was real.

„Jarod… Jarod, oh son." She wept as he buried his face into her shoulder. For a long moment no one said anything. The emotion, the lose and the pain, the happiness and the shock, all coming to this. Finally, she pulled back and touched his face with her fingertips removing the tears that still fell from his eyes.

„After we spoke on the phone, I kept thinking I had imagined it. I was so worried I’d finally gone crazy. But look at you… so handsome with that smile which I remember very well after all these years," she whispered to him. His expression immediately became undefinable.

„I remember your smile too…" Jarod replied while bringing his hands to hers. The older woman’s eyes sparkled and she held his hands, leading her son finally into the apartment… home.
-------------
Miss Parker gripped both handles and flung open the doors to Lyle’s office. She couldn’t believe his gall calling her to his office. When did he get power over her? He was the one who messed up.

„Parker, you nearly gave me a heart attack!" Lyle shouted after landing for his leap. He hated being surprised…. hated it.

„Well, then I’ll come in again," Parker answered wickedly. ‘That’ll teach you to tell me what to do.’ She came to stand beside her brother, who was organizing files on his desk.

„Have you located any places where Jarod and Emma…" Lyle said without thought and then paused with some pain, „…Emily might be?" He was hoping for a ‘yes’. He wasn’t at all prepared to see her again, but she wouldn’t get out of his head. Lyle heard her voice in his ears, saw her figure in his mind, and felt her presence in his lonely apartment.

„No," Parker reported, now slightly remorseful of her actions. Lyle looked up at her, as if to be positive she had really spoken, then opened his file drawer to put some papers on the ordeal away.

„In that case, perhaps you should look for anywhere Jarod could have stashed the DSAs. Our father didn’t see them on the plane and it is presumed Jarod was hedging his bet." He handed her the remaining files, including Mr. Parker’s recollection of his kidnapping. Miss Parker sighed.

„Always was a planner," she muttered and secured the paperwork in her left hand.

„Yeah well, we’re hoping he hasn’t retrieved them yet," Lyle remarked. Suddenly, they both felt like they were in the same lousy, leaky boat.

„And who is we?" she asked withholding the venom. Just then, Brigitte was entering the room.

„Why all of us, Miss Parker," she greeted them. Lately, if and when, Brigitte daned to speak a word to Lyle, it was because it would inconvenience her not to.

„Brigitte. Shouldn’t you be off eating odd combinations of food or something?" Parker offered a diseased olive branch. Brigitte leaned against one of the doors, not wanting to venture into the mud pit this particular afternoon. She drummed her fingers playfully on the door handle. Then she addressed Lyle.

„Actually, I just dropped in to tell you that the Tower wants Emily as well. She could be a perfect pretender, maybe better than Jarod…. After all, she pretended to love you." She giggled that little evil laugh which raised the hair on the back of Miss Parker’s neck.

„Good luck." Brigitte smirked. Lyle glared at her, but stayed silent as she slithered out of the office. The commotion in Lyle’s brain caused an involuntary throwing of his hands to the sky. His voice brewing with conflicting emotions was loud enough for Brigitte to hear as she stepped onto the elevator.

„Great, that give us twice the problem!" Parker knew this was a cue to get to work or get shot again. She had a bit of an argument in her own mind anyway; secretly she hoped they NEVER found Emily.
-----------
The night was beginning to cloak the streets in darkness, as a family rested in the livingroom of a mid-size apartment drinking hot chocolate. Margaret seated herself on the couch, Jarod stayed comfortably in an armchair, and Emily stood against a wall. After hearing about her children’s daring escape and the house they had stopped at to throw off the Centre, Margaret grew quiet for a moment.

„Mom, are you okay?" Jarod sensed the change in her demeanor almost immediately. Her eyes connected with her son’s.

„Just thinking… how is your father, really?" Margaret asked whimsically.

„He misses you both…" Jarod replied looking up at his sister as she moved behind his chair, „and Kyle." Margaret sighed as the memory of her lost son cut through her joy.

„You’re a good brother," Emily proclaimed and squeezed his shoulder gently. He gave her a weak, but grateful smile.

„I made my peace with it, but I don’t know what I’d do if I ever saw Lyle again." A dark cloud passed over Jarod’s features.

„You’d probably tear his head off," Margaret replied a bit in jest. Emily put a hand on her hip.

„Mother?" she scolded. Jarod mused over how they complimented each other’s moods. It was probably a result of running together so long. They certainly were a few strides ahead of most mothers and daughters. There would have been little time for fights and rebellion between them, Jarod reasoned.

„Give it up, dear. I may be old, but I learned long ago being Donna Reed doesn’t pay in this world," she defended with a playful tone in her voice.

„Mom….?" Jarod began but almost lost his nerve.

„Yes, Jarod?" she prompted him to continue.

„Where does our family come from?" he asked so timidly, it seemed like he feared getting hit.

„Germany, originally…" Margaret replied off-handedly and took a sip of her hot chocolate, before the meaning behind the question sunk in, „My, Jarod, you must have a million questions."

„And she will sit here all night and answer them," Emily kissed her brother on the top of the head and walked into the kitchen for more cocoa. Jarod was right; it was better with two of the mix pouches instead of one.

„Let’s see, what would you like to know?" Margaret became very attentive. She was determined to give him the answers he had been looking for all his life. ‘You’re not lost anymore, Jarod.’ Unfortunately, he had never been offered such complete knowledge and almost all the time in the world to learn before.

„My name?" he finally decided to question. It was such a simple thing with an easy explanation but Jarod considered it the best place to start. Margaret understood the weight of his request.

„Well, your full name is Jarod Jeffrey Riter. I chose Jarod because it’s Hebrew for… ‘one who rules’ and I was sure my son would become a great leader one day, as you have." She toasted him with her cup.

„Jeffrey means ‘gift of peace’ and I considered you a true gift after all your father and I went through," Margaret continued, „Hmm… You were born in Albany General Hospital on July 16, 1961."

„That’s my birthday?" Jarod leaned forward in his chair. The whole situation was too good to be true.

„Yes. At the time, we had just moved, because your father had been transferred to the base up there," Margaret told the story and soon became immersed in its memory, „We had a two story in the suburbs with a nice backyard and a stockade fence that I had Charles paint white that August…."

„I always did like New York," he commented.

„May I ask you something Jarod?" She looked at him as if she saw right through him to the answer she wanted.

„You’re my mother, of course you can." Just then, Emily walked back in and paused near the couch to listen to her mother’s question.

„Did you know Catherine Parker? I understand you’re close to her daughter, but did you ever meet her?" Margaret asked softly.

„Yeah, she… she came to see me a few times. She was everything I thought a mother was supposed to be… kind, gentle… she had a way of making you smile," Jarod remembered.

„A very special woman….. she contacted your father and they planned to rescue you. Emily and I were in the get-away car waiting on the side of the building. Your father entered through the shipping dock, then suddenly I heard the alarms and I knew…. Catherine talked to me once or twice and she was just as you described, but the second the sound pierced the air, I knew she was dead," she explained. Jarod shook as he replayed the murder in his mind’s eye, but someone else was more affected.

„Good night, Mother. Jarod," Emily proclaimed and fled into one of the bedrooms. She shut the door so hard the walls quaked. Margaret took a long drink of her cocoa and met Jarod’s worried eyes.

„I’ll go speak with her," she offered, but her son rose and set his cup down on the coffee table.

„That’s okay. Let me." Within a few seconds he had knocked and receiving no answer, entered the room. Once inside, Jarod pressed his back against the closed door, sighing. He could feel the pain and anger radiating from her through his body, but wasn’t sure how to cure it.

„Did I do something? Say something to upset you?" Jarod opened himself up for attack. He preferred his sister’s wrath to her silence.

„No," Emily muttered. She was flopped width ways on the bed and seemed tired.

„Then what’s wrong?" He came next to the bed and she rolled over to face him.

„Look, Jarod, I was born into this life. My whole existence has been about survival and finding two brothers I never met," she said with regret in her voice.

„I’m sorry," Jarod apologized dropping his eyes.

„Don’t say that…" Her voice quivered.

„I don’t know what else to say," he admitted. She sat up and felt her own pain hiding in his face. Jarod really could get inside a person’s head. Since Emily was his sister it was even easier to understand her.

„This isn’t your fault….." She stood and began making the bed. Only glancing at him occasionally as she spoke. „I admit when I was younger I hated you. I thought you were the reason I lost my father and we had to move all the time. But Jarod, I grew up and I know now that you didn’t have any control over what happened. It’s just hard to listen to."

„I never seem to cause anything but pain to those closest to me." He was numb and depressed. Jarod’s dream of reuniting with his family was beginning to crumble. Emily wouldn’t let him do that to himself. She put her hands on his arms.

„I’m your sister and I love you, Jarod. Not because I have to, but because I met so many of the people you’ve helped. You are a wonderful person and you have absolutely no reason to be that way. With how you grew up, you had every right to become a killer or a head case or worse…" She tilted his head up with her hands, so his eyes met hers. „But you didn’t. You are Jarod… hero and defender, avenger and savior, but most importantly you’re Jarod, my brother." They exchanged the animated expressions of siblings at those rare moments when a secret is shared or an adventure has begun.

„I love you, too, Emily. I wish I could give it all back to you. There were nights, I wondered what it would be like to have a sister. I’m just grateful we’re together now."

„So am I…" she said with a heavy sigh, „Hey, enough of this serious stuff, let’s go see which
X-Files it is." Jarod’s features filled with confusion.

„X files?" he echoed. She pulled at his hand on her way to the door.

„Oh, Jarod," Emily giggled, „I have so much to tell you."
-----------
Miss Parker sat at her desk, pressing key after key on her computer in determination and frustration. She had looked through all the information and put together what she could about where Jarod might be. Anywhere. She was hitting dead ends, however, what was really annoying was Parker knew a good clue might be in that picture Emily sent Lyle. Mysteriously, it had been omitted from the files… oversight, no doubt.

„Miss Parker, I found it!" Broots rushed in, followed by the always-demure Sydney. Miss Parker’s thoughts were shattered by the interruption.

„Lewis, Clark, what have you discovered?" She folded her arms and watched them as Sydney closed the door.

„It took a little digging and a bunch of MCI minutes, but I located the warehouse that a certain Jarod Major has what could be the DSAs stored," Broots stated. Miss Parker slid back in her chair and stood.

„Thanks Broots, I knew you’d be good for something one day." She patted his back and grabbed the print out from his hands.

„Thanks, Miss Parker," he replied a bit sarcastically.

„Well, time to go get your research back, Syd," she commented on her way toward the hall. She didn’t really notice he remained where he was, until he spoke.

„Parker, maybe we should slow down." Sydney’s voice was low and thoughtful.

„Why?" She flustered back to face him. Broots placed himself against a wall and tried to become part of the decor.

„It’s likely Jarod will be nearby and unlikely that he would want to give up such a large part of his life," Sydney seemed to be considering it in his head and much as he was saying it out loud.

„He has a new life, Sydney and we have yet to be in it." Sydney tried to hide the hurt, Parker had zeroed in on. Miss Parker knew the truth was painful, but she was dealing with it too. Maybe once she proclaimed it out loud, it wouldn’t suffocate her so much.

„Jarod’s found his REAL family," she said softly and rested her hand on his shoulder, „What would he want with Centre recorded nightmares?"
-----------
Jarod began to murmur and thrash about the covers in his sleep. The bed was comfortable and for once someone else watched over his safety, but his mind remained consumed with the pain of the past and worry of the future. Finally he yelled out as his dream came to its horrid climax. Fortunately, hands came onto his shoulders and shock him from the depths of sleep.

„Jarod! Jarod…" she called. Waking with a panicked start, he sat up in bed, shaking slightly. Jarod realized almost immediately that his mother was sitting next to him. She searched in his sweet brown eyes and stroked his hair with the gentle touch of a concerned mother.

„It was just a nightmare," he informed her and himself. Margaret somberly marveled at his self-consoling abilities and decided he didn’t have to deal with it alone anymore.

„Tell me what happened… If you talk about the dream, it’ll make you feel better." He smiled and she kissed his forehead before pulling him into a comforting hug. Jarod didn’t want to speak of the demons in his mind; he just wanted to rest his aching head against his mother’s shoulder.

Emily stood in the doorway, her soft pink robe half on and brown hair a bit eschew. She folded her arms across her chest and watched her mother’s healing powers work their magic. Brushing a stray lock from her forehead, she entered the scene. Emily chose the foot of the bed to rest on, so when Jarod opened his eyes he saw her studying him.

As he relaxed back against his pillow, Jarod reached for Emily’s hand. She quickly accepted the thought and held his fingers in her palm.

„I’ll be okay. I’m just sorry to have woken you both."

„Oh, Jarod… do you have those dreams every night?" Emily asked. His only answer was a slow nod.

„Well, you know what mom does when I have a nightmare?" This caused Jarod to give her an unsure look of interest.

„She feeds me ice cream," she exclaimed. At this news, Jarod sat up and the three chuckled lightly at his enthusiasm. Suddenly, all the fear, all the pain seemed to float away with a gentle laugh.
-----------
Miss Parker was on her way home. She needed some rest, especially since she just found out the Tower had schedule her to testify about Raines’ activities in three days. She would have preferred to shot a bullet into that bald head of his, but no such luck. Parker could still hope, though, the Tower was never known for its forgiveness. Suddenly, Lyle grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into his office before she could get out an argument.

„We’ve got him," Lyle stated. Shrugging him off, she growled,

„Gee, Lyle I’m not doing anything. What’s with you?" Lyle smiled smugly and opened the file in hand.

„Come now, Cruella, I know where the 101st puppy’s going to be in the next day or two." Parker sighed at the comparison and then got an image that just plain bothered her.

„Where?" she sleepily asked.

„A warehouse in our own state of Delaware," he replied, obviously proud of himself.

„How do you know it’s Jarod?" Miss Parker decided fighting him would delay her exit and subsequent arrival at home.

„The storage space was rented by a Jarod Major and the item is listed as a small suitcase. Besides the dates match. He was clever though, this place doesn’t have an online service, so I had to call to find out," he informed her. Ignoring the fact that Broots found the place three hours ago, she turned to leave.

„Well, I’ll see you in a few days," Parker tossed him, but Lyle was not letting her get away.

„No, you’re coming with me," he ordered. Parker looked back at him and decided next time she was taking the back way out of the Centre.

„And why would that be, precisely?" He acted as if it was clear to any simpleton.

„Because we have to deal with double trouble and I would like at least fair odds."
-----------
Jarod set the last bag (his) in the trunk of the Ford Spirit and slammed the lid. He glanced at Emily and his mother as they stood on the steps of the apartment building.

„I guess that’s everything," he informed them and brushed his gloves together before opening the driver’s side door for his mother.

„I don’t like this Jarod," Margaret protested as Emily all but threw her in the car. Jarod shut the door for her and kiss his mother through the open window.

„I know, but I need those DSAs," he persisted.

„Besides, Mom, I’ll be there to protect him," Emily teased. Jarod was quickly figuring out why so many people complained about their siblings, however, he still wouldn’t trade this family for the world.

„I’ll call as soon as we’re on the road. We should be to the house by seven," he assured.

„Okay," Margaret replied and kissed her daughter, „Bye, darling."

„Bye, Mom," Emily returned and stepped away from the car. Margaret started up the motor, then looked back at her children.

„I love you, both. Stay safe." She waved and began to pull out.

„We will," Jarod promised.
----------
Miss Parker and Lyle stayed observant of their surrounding even as they listened to the guy, who ran the warehouse.

„They walked down there to get his suitcase." The man pointed toward a particular aisle of the crisscrossed rows. The place was full of shelves wherever they could be put and on them was whatever people needed stored, most in boxes with numbers on them in bright red paint.

„Thanks," Parker replied coldly. Aside to Lyle, „I can’t believe this is the place." They started down one of the halls, guns in hand.

„Jarod has always been a friend of the ‘less fortunate’ remember?" Lyle commented on the overhaul wearing, high school drop out they had just talked to. Suddenly, Parker stopped and listened a moment.

„Shh! I think I hear them," she whispered.
---------
Jarod watched his sister, fearlessly perched at the top of one of the shelves full of crates, searching for his suitcase. Emily was allowing her left leg to dangle over the side as she crouched down trying to read numbers on the side of the boxes.

„Which crate is it?" she shouted down.

„E3152." Emily maneuvered it out and retrieved the suitcase. She was just about to throw it down to Jarod when she glanced over to see Parker walking down an aisle about three rows to the right. Jarod saw her expression change and felt his nerves go into alarm mode.

„What’s wrong?" he called up to her, which only alerted the party crashers in what direction they were. It was because of this, Emily decided the heck with it.

„Hey, Jarod! We got company!" she screamed and jumped like a cat, suitcase in hand.

„Damn it! We’ve been made," Parker cursed and began to run. Lyle decided to turn around and try to trap them.

„Stop!" Miss Parker screamed as she caught sight of Jarod through the crates.

„Funny, Parker!" Jarod scaled the shelves in seconds. Emily took off around into another row and figured Jarod had both pursuers’ attention. They were rats in a maze of hid and seek.

„Jarod! Where are you? You’re not getting out of here!" Parker continued to bait him. She thought his voice would lead the way; however, he understood exactly what she was doing.

„Oh, I beg to differ," he throw his voice across the room, causing her to spin and become confused.

„I’d love to hear you beg. Just show yourself," Miss Parker growled. Lyle hunted Emily a bit half-heartedly… actually even that was a conflict. He ached to see her again and yet knew if he caught her, Emily would become Triumvirate property. Lyle wanted her to be his property.

„Lyle? Aren’t you a little over your head?" mocked Emily as she threw a crate that barely missed him.

„Emily." He sighed and framed his mind into indifference, even cruelty. „Did you know the Tower’s very impressed with you?" Emily leaped across the rows and slipped, but managed to climb up and throw her voice behind Lyle before he could find her.

„Really? Remind me to send them a ‘Thank You’ card." Lyle whipped his body around so fast he stunned himself.

„Oh, yes, in fact they want you to come play games too, now," he spit out. Emily stopped at this, had Lyle just warned her. He didn’t need to tell her the Tower was after her. Her heart burned and Emily had to shack her head clear to keep evading him.

„Sorry, Lyle but neither of us are going back…. EVER!" Jarod yelled as he moved closer to his target.

„Can’t run forever, Boy Genius!" Parker called to him. She was wandering now aimlessly, pointing her gun at any sound near her.

„And here I was thinking I could…" he mocked his favorite playmate.

„God, shut up! Just shut up!" Emily screeched. This whole situation felt so dumb and Lyle was throwing her off guard. She was sick of this mess and it was time to get a few things straight!

„Don’t bet on it, Emily! No one tells me what to do," Parker hissed. She never really liked this girl and no future lab rat was instructing her.

„Except the Tower! Come on, Parker, the Centre ruined your life, just like it destroyed Jarod’s. They killed your mother and turned you into a hired gun. Then they tried to take away your father." Emily’s words came from a pitying heart, which struck a cord so loud all three listeners stood still.

„That was Raines!" Parker responded weakly. She knew this wasn’t a great argument.

„What does it matter?" Emily defended her opinion.

„Don’t listen to her, Parker," Lyle yelled across the rows to his sister. ‘Please stop, Emily,’ he thought.

„Oh and you’re indebted to the place how? Lyle, just like me, you were cursed at birth. Raines took you away from a mother who loved you, didn’t he? Didn’t he leave you with a father who beat and tortured you? Then you grew up and came to work for the same people that wrecked your childhood. At least, Jarod and Parker have the sense to hate it. He runs and she complains. Okay, so he has more guts… but Jarod had a great deal more to be angry over." The silence was deafening. They became lost in their pasts; the maze was now composed of painful memories in their minds.

„Then there’s me. I was born into this stupid game of survival. Taught since I was old enough to speak to running from Centre sweepers. It’s in my blood. I had no choice," she spoke as if in a trance, that only one voice could break.

„Your point?" Lyle timidly asked.

„Why are we running around in circles after each other, when they did this to us… all of us?" The question was similar to a punch in the stomach or a shot through the back (in Parker’s mind anyway). At that moment each realized how the Centre had ruined them. And suddenly they didn’t blame each other as much. The purpose of everything came up for conjecture.

„Okay, that’s enough speeches for now." Parker spotted Emily’s movements and began to pursue. Then she was able to tackle Emily as she jumped down at the wrong instance.

„Parker, what an interesting situation, wouldn’t you agree?" she inquired casually as Parker tried desperately to hold her to the metal floor.

„Your kitty-cat moves won’t save you," Miss Parker hissed in Emily’s face.

„I don’t know about that." Emily remained calm long enough to find a push off point on a couch that hadn’t been boxed yet and kicked herself out from under Parker’s grip.

Meanwhile, Jarod had been hunting a predator and almost laughed, watching Lyle hitting a dead end, but decided to make his move instead. The sneaker’s impact was just below Lyle’s shoulders, while the hands came around his raised arms, stealing the gun. Lyle hit the floor and lost his breath in a forced yelp.

Emily and Miss Parker stopped struggling at the cry.

„Lyle?" Emily called out. The room was silent except for the faint sound of a safety being clicked off.

„Jarod?" Miss Parker hoped he would answer her. Had Lyle knocked him out? What if Lyle was planning to execute Jarod right now? No response came, so forgetting their feline fight, the ladies hurried to the last place either had seen Lyle.

The scene they found stole the air from their lungs. Jarod stood in the middle of an aisle with his arms rigid and his fingers wrapped around Lyle’s gun. He stared down the barrel at Lyle’s head, which was leaning against the shelves. Lyle sat on the floor looking into Jarod’s eyes like he was gazing into a mirror. His hands were tight on a box behind him as if he was searching for a hold on reality. Neither moved nor recognized that the girls existed.

„Oh…. Jarod, Jarod give me the gun," Emily edged carefully toward him. Nothing seemed to penetrate his concentration.

„Jarod?" Parker asked. He glanced at them briefly.

„Shot him, Parker," Lyle finally spoke, however, his eyes were still locked on the face beyond the gun. Miss Parker lifted her weapon, even aimed a bit. Then Jarod looked over just enough for her to see his expression. Lyle was staring into a mirror of himself… Jarod was pretending to be him.

„No," she whispered, trying to fight back tears. She wouldn’t shot Jarod, so Lyle could haul him back. It was this realization that almost put her on the floor. Emily felt the emotions in her tone and scared Parker by intertwining her fingers with Parker’s.

„Jarod, please. We can leave… walk out of here." Emily picked up the suitcase and showed her brother, „See, I’ve got the DSAs." Jarod flinched, but refused to let Lyle out of this place. If that meant he wasn’t going home either, maybe it was worth it. ‘Kyle… Kyle…’ he continued to think about his brother, then suddenly, ‘Emily…Emily… Kyle... Emily…"

„You can walk, Jarod," Parker promised, putting her gun in its holster.

„I don’t want to leave, Parker. I want to kill him. I want to fire a bullet into his brain and watch him bleed," Jarod growled low and gritted his teeth. He had a taste for Lyle’s mind now, he understood… oh, did he ever understand.

„No, Jarod! You can’t do this. Not because he doesn’t deserve it, but because you’re not like him," Emily pleaded as she inched closer. She had to talk to the pretender in him; his skills and training had control now. Parker worked on his humanity, hoping to get through to the Jarod she knew.

„Jarod, he shot your bother, please don’t shot mine," she beseeched him.

„Is that you begging, Parker?" Jarod asked with a laugh that caught in his throat. No warning was issued, before Jarod squeezed the trigger. Emily leapt with shock. Miss Parker shut her eyes and leaned back toward Emily.

When the frightful sound was lost on the wind, Lyle lay quivering slightly on the floor. Jarod aimed just above Lyle’s head. He wanted to kill and the feeling was intoxicating. There was so much power, so much control in it. Yes, he now saw Lyle for all he was, however, he wasn’t Lyle and never wanted to become him. Jarod slowly walked toward Parker as if to slide right passed her; instead he stopped next to her.

„Don’t follow us," Jarod warned as he handed Miss Parker the gun. She nodded and quickly came to Lyle’s side. Lyle considered trying to convince her otherwise, but didn’t have it in him. He just watched dumbly as Emily’s silhouette disappeared around a corner of crates. Miss Parker looked up in time to see Jarod glance back at her as he escorted his sister out.
-------------
The road was dark and the sky black. Their ride back to the Centre was quiet, so somber in fact that finally Miss Parker couldn’t take it. She turned the car stereo on and put in the first CD she found.

(„Fly Away" by Poe)

„It makes sense that it should happen this way
That the sky should break
And the earth should shake
As if to say:
Sure it all matters but in such an unimportant way
As if to say, hey
Fly away
Sweet bird of prey
Fly, fly away
Nothing can stand in your way
Sweet bird
If you knew the words
I know that you'd say fly
Fly away

It makes sense that it should hurt in this way
That my heart should break
And my hands should shake
As if to say:
Sure it don't matter except in the most important way
As if to say:
Hey, fly away
Sweet bird of prey
Fly, fly away
I won't stand in your way
Sweet bird
If you knew the words I know that you'd say
Fly, fly away

It makes sense that it should feel this way
That you slowly fade
And yet still remain
As if to say:
Everything matters in such an invisible way
As if to say:
It's ok
Fly Away…."


The End


E-mail: Please send me feedback, good or bad; just write a little note if you don’t want to write a lot.