Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: „The Pretender" and all it’s characters don’t belong to me, but to some wonderful people at NBC, who deserve promotions. Please don’t sue me, I am making no money from this. I just really enjoy the show. Also, the songs are owned by their respective artists, I don’t take credit for them.

Note: This is the continuation of „To Honor" (you should start with part one). This is the last story of this series, friends, thank you for all your support. Oh, and enjoy the epilogue…




To Honor
part 6
"To Protect"
By Dede




The phone was ringing otherwise she wouldn’t have moved from the comfortable position she was lying in.

„What?" Miss Parker answered her cell-phone while pushing herself up on a pillow.

„Yes… Lyle and I got a lead last night……. No, nothing…… Ok, I’ll tell him….. I’m not surprised he isn’t answering… He’s in the shower by the sounds of it….. Yeah, we’ll be there in five hours…. We’re on the edge of the state…… Fine!" she ended the call. Setting down the phone, she turned around to look at the other side of the bed.

„Get up. They want Lyle and I back to base," she instructed and shoved at Jarod’s shoulder. He understood perfectly, because the ringing had woken the light-sleeper, however he couldn’t resist wrapping his strong arms around her waist as she sat on the bed while telling her to forget the Centre and lie back down. Miss Parker seriously considered succumbing to his desire, but after rubbing his hands a moment, pulled them from her nightgown and stood up. He loved the way the fabric clung to her body and shook his head as he slid off the other side.

Lazily, she walked to the connecting door, which was so rare in those types of houses. Carefully cracking it, so her voice could be heard, but her eyes could not see within, she spoke,

„Lyle, the office called; they want us in by eleven. We have a meeting with Dad."

A female head raised from under the sheets for the sixth time that night and regarded the clock. It was 5: 37 AM.

„He’ll be up," Emily responded and then whispered in Lyle’s ear, „Baby, time for you to go back to battle." She nuzzled his neck and his eyes opened dreamily.

„I could stay," he whispered and reached around her to pull the warm body closer.

„No, you’ve been in the infirmary way too long. The war needs you," Emily scolded but didn’t move away.

„Ok, you win, Miss Nightingale," Lyle resigned himself and staggered out of his side of the bed.

----------

Margaret had been wake since the babies last feeding at about five, so she heard the rumbling of restless souls upstairs. She sat down in the kitchen with her toast and milk to watch the morning news, while listening to showers go on and floor boards creak.

A short while later, Parker and Jarod made their entrance into the room. He had thrown on a pair of black jeans and a blue button-up hung over his white undershirt. She wore a short evergreen skirt with a sleeveless turtleneck to match and knee-high boots.

„Morning, Mom," Jarod greeted and gave her a kiss on his way to the cupboard for Pop-Tarts.

„Good morning. Sleep well?" she asked Parker, who dropped into the chair next to her.

„As best as can be expected with twins down the hall," Parker answered; she was a bit groggy.

„Coffee’s on," Margaret announced as the timer rang.

„What’s the story?" Lyle asked, brushing his hand through his hair as he breezed in minutes later.

„First meeting with Dad about Raines," Parker explained while she sipped her coffee.

„These’ll go on all week." Lyle sighed.

„I know," Parker said with a sharp annoyance.

„Anybody for breakfast?" Margaret offered. Emily passed through the kitchen just then to get the twins’ bottles. She was still in her navy robe, but her hair was pulled back into a braid, Lyle’s work no doubt.

„Oh, that sounds great," she replied sleepily and left to attend to her children.

„Next time, I’m kidnapping you. That way I can have you as long as I want," Jarod whispered, gently squeezing his love’s shoulders.

„You just want to chain me up," Parker teased.

„Would be a switch," Lyle commented.

„Well, time to go back to the asylum. Thanks, Mrs. Riter, but we’ll grab something on the way." Miss Parker finished her coffee and put the cup in the sink. Jarod and Lyle both followed her into the livingroom.

„No problem, dear," Margaret responded as she started making the pancake batter for Emily’s breakfast.

When Lyle entered the livingroom, Emily was holding Kyle while Catherine sat in the green baby crib.

„There’s my girl." Lyle strolled over.

„Lyle, you don’t own me yet you know," Emily feigned offense.

„I believe that was a cue to either get down on one knee or run out the front door," Parker joked as she put her coat on.

„No way. I’m gun-shy, after last time."

„That’s a first," Jarod interrupted him.

„Besides, I was talking about this little one." Lyle picked Catherine up and kissed the top of her head.

„You sure you have to leave, you could stay and work on having a few of our own," Jarod seduced Parker as they watched ‘daddy and mommy’ tending to their babies.

„As good a father as you’d make, I held Emily’s hair when she was dealing with morning sickness…NO." Miss Parker stepped away from Jarod. Emily smirked.

„So did I," Jarod defended. Parker turned to gaze at him.

„You really want me moodier than I already am?" she challenged.

„I love your moods," Jarod insisted while trying not to appear panicked, „but I suppose you should leave."

„Kiss me, Kate," Lyle commanded Emily, who had just set Kyle back in the playpen.

„I must have really messed you up with that name thing. Now, you can’t remember it for the life of you," Emily laughed and obeyed, while taking Catherine into her arms.

„Bye, Sexy," Parker whispered in Jarod’s ear, then kissed him softly.

„Later." Jarod’s eyebrows rose and fell along with a content grin. Lyle grabbed his briefcase from off the couch.

„Good-bye, my darling take care of our angels," he said stealing another kiss to Emily’s delight.

„Bye. Try not to kill too many people today," Emily called after them as she sat down on the couch.

„Funny," both Parker and Lyle echoed, exiting the front door.

„I thought it was." Jarod smirked.

--------------

„I know we’ve had several of these meetings in the last few days, however, despite the capture of Raines’ group and the continuing reeducation of the man himself. We still have no idea where the missing data is," Mr. Parker stood behind his desk and addressed his operatives.

„Well, I don’t think Mr. Raines had it. I believe the leak at the Centre must have accelerated their plans," Brigitte explained while carefully observing the other people in the room for signs of agitation. Lyle and Parker glanced at each other and knew she was digging.

„What leak?" Mr. Parker asked. He sounded shocked. Sydney tried to stay still; he also sensed Brigitte meant to bury someone. She probably assumed if she cut down enough people, the Centre would be hers. It was times like this, Lyle wished Emily could be Emma again, so Parker would have better reinforcements.

„The one we can’t find," Miss Parker muttered coolly.

„Great… The Centre has been under computer siege for the last few months, and our best operatives don’t have a clue," Mr. Parker growled. Lyle eyed Sydney, but the older man had that passive, complacent look molded onto his face, hiding any emotions.

„We’ll see what we can find, Daddy," Miss Parker remarked as she stood, motioning to Sydney, who followed faithfully. Mr. Parker shook his head and dismissed the meeting. Lyle headed for his own office only to be chased down by Brigitte.

„I suspect Sydney," she stated when Lyle stopped short in front of his secretary’s desk, because the girl was missing from her chair.

„I don’t care, Brigitte. I have more important things to do, then search for your mysterious leak."

„There IS a leak and it is making us vulnerable." She leaned closer into him, but he backed away.

„Besides the one in your head?" he mocked. Just then, the phone rang to his secretary’s desk. Brigitte bit her tongue.

„Where’s my secretary?" Lyle looked around a bit jumpy. Brigitte shook her head as he huffed and answered the call.

„Hello……. Ummm… Yes, hold on." She turned to him. „Lyle, some woman says you left your belt at her place last night." Lyle’s eyes flicked of confusion a second too long.

„I’ll take it in my office." Walking in and shutting the door, he picked up the phone.

„Hey…I have it, Brigitte," Lyle said impatiently. Taking his annoyance as offensive, she pressed the cradle button and then continued to listen. Sure the troll had hung up, Emily began talking normally.

„I hate that accent," she grumbled.

„As long as it works, we have to be careful when you call me around here." Lyle was starting to feel anxious and warm, but he didn’t understand why.

„I know. I just wanted to tell you that we’re swinging by town, if you wanted to see me." She was being playful; however, Lyle ignored it as he loosened his tie and collar.

„How are the twins?" he asked, sitting down.

„Good as gold. Jarod and my mother have been a big help… Oh, the children started trying to speak this afternoon. Just gurgles and vowels, but mom says if Jarod and I are any indication, they’ll be saying their first words in a month or two… perfect sentences in a year," Emily relayed excitedly.

„Yeah, I remember reading the data on the clone," Lyle mused, shuffling papers on his desk.

„Any news about my Dad and J.C.?" Emily inquired.

„J.C.?" Lyle became lost a moment.

„You know, Jarod’s clone, Broots thought it was humanizing," Emily explained. She liked Broots for many reasons. He seemed the tag-along in this twisted little group and though accepted, she still felt like the new girl, so they clicked in that way. Not to mention, her love for computers matched his.

„Oh. No, nothing, but I’ve been keeping an eye out," Lyle reassured her.

„That helps." Emily sighed.

„Listen, why don’t you come over to my place, bring the twins. I really want to see them," Lyle suggested.

„All right, how’s seven tomorrow?" Emily brightened up.

„Good… and maybe Aunty Parker can come and take the kids for a few hours, so you and I can get reacquainted?" Anything to please his girl.

„Maybe…" Emily seductively answered, then someone, probably Jarod, called her in the background, „Whoops, gotta go. Bye, Lyle."

„Bye, love you."

„Love you too." Emily hung up. Lyle sat back and tried to relax, thinking about the evening they would have.

‘Don’t worry Emily, Aunty Parker will be there.’ Brigitte left the secretary’s desk to call a certain friend in Africa.

-------------

Lyle stood in the bathroom, putting cologne on, when the doorbell rang. He wiped his hands against a towel as he passed through the kitchen and checked his appearance one last time in the hall mirror before undoing the latches.

„Hi," Emily greeted him. She was carrying Catherine on her hip and Kyle slept in a hand-held baby seat.

„Hi," Lyle replied lifting Kyle out of his chair carefully. They moved into the apartment barely remembering to shut the door.

„How’s everything?" Lyle whispered while they entered the bedroom.

„Well, Catherine’s been out since we left the interstate and Kyle drifted off a few minutes ago," she explained. Setting Kyle down on the bed, Lyle rummaged around in the back of the walk-in closet.

„You mean we have time to ourselves?" he asked when he reappeared with two cribs. They were just like regular cribs, except without the height, so they could be easily stored and hidden.

„Yes and I have a surprise for you," Emily teased him, as they made the beds and placed the still sleeping children in them.

„What?" Lyle was enthralled; he had been convinced the honeymoon was over. Emily turned the baby monitor on and put it between the two cribs.

„Shh…shh…" she charmed, breathing in his ear, „Come in here." Lyle was on his feet and out the door after her, with one last look at the twins.

„Stand right there. I want to dance with you," Emily commanded and deposited a tape in his livingroom stereo.

„Dance? To what?" he asked suspiciously.

„That’s the surprise…" Emily turned to gaze at him and began to sing the song as she edged toward him,

„When people ask of me,
What would you like to be
Now that you’re not a kid anymore?

(You're not a kid anymore)

I know just what to say,
I answer right away,
There’s just one thing I've been wishing for…
I want to be Bobby's girl
I want to be Bobby's girl."

Lyle laughed and took her hands in his as they waltzed around the coffeetable.

„That's the most important thing to me...
And if I was Bobby's girl,
If I was Bobby's girl,
What a faithful thankful girl I'd be.

Each night I sit at home,
Hoping that he will phone,
But I know Bobby has someone else.

Still in my heart I pray
There soon will come the day
That I will have him all to myself...
I want to be Bobby's girl
I want to be Bobby's girl.

That's the most important thing to me...
And if I was Bobby's girl,
If I was Bobby's girl,
What a faithful thankful girl I'd be.
What a faithful thankful girl I'd be."
(BOBBY'S GIRL by Marcie Blane)

They danced close and as the song ended, Lyle lifted her up with his strong arms and spun her in a joyous hug. She giggled, clinging tightly to him.

„Thank you, darling," he said still chuckling. Emily pulled back to see his face. He had a boyish quality to his features that was irresistible to her.

„I thought you’d get a kick out of it." Lyle ran his fingers up and down her back, almost thinking about removing his glove.

„Where did you find the song?" he asked slightly absorbed in her touch.

„Jarod was listening to some old audio tapes while we were working and it happened to be on one," Emily replied as she walked to the stereo to change the music.

„Jarod… I should have known," Lyle said, but his tone was impish. The radio filled the room with a jazz instrumental.

„Are you two really okay with all this?" she inquired suspiciously.

„Jarod and I came to an understanding. We had two choices: kill each other or deal with it. Since although, we would like to take a shot at each other, we would lose our girls, we chose the dealing option," he explained simply. Emily came to embrace him again.

„Smart decision." Lyle leaned down to kiss her sweetly.

The door wrenched open at this untimely moment, as Brigitte and seven sweepers including Willie rushed through it. All, but two guards at the door, made it into the livingroom in less than a minute. Lyle froze, however, Emily’s reflexes were better than that and she jumped from his hold before Brigitte managed a step into the room. She hoped the children wouldn’t wake up, if Brigitte didn’t find them…

„Excellent job, Lyle. First, you breed us a couple of pretender-Parkers, then you plan the perfect sting. The Triumvirate is going to give you a raise for this," Brigitte congratulated Lyle who made no sudden moves. He just watched her and eyed Emily with brief glances.

„What!?" Emily yelled enraged as she struggled with the two sweepers at her sides.

„Oh, that’s right you already gave him one," Brigitte commented pointing her gun at Emily, while keeping herself aware of Lyle’s movements. The other two sweepers walked into the bedroom and carried the crying twins out of the apartment. Emily tried her best to stop them, but was restrained.

„Stay away from my babies, you filthy…" Brigitte smacked her across the face. Lyle came to Brigitte’s side but realized she was waiting for him to do something. This was her revenge, if he wanted to keep in control, he had to pretend this really was his plan. Pretend! Oh, well, where was Jarod when he needed him?

„Don’t worry, doll, we will take good care of these little experiments. Wouldn’t want them ending up like their uncle, would we Lyle?" Brigitte challenged him to end the charade.

„No," he whispered and straightened his jacket. He didn’t want to look at Emily, he didn’t want to hear her cries, but as Willie led her out, she cursed him until he glanced up.

Choking back the gasp, Lyle locked eyes only for a moment. All the hatred, the betrayal, the fear of all his victims over his entire life was summed up in those brown eyes.

---------

Lyle finally clawed his way into his office at the Centre. He locked the door with a bit of difficulty, because his hands were trembling. He felt like throwing up and crying, which he couldn’t understand. He usually did well in stressful situations, but this was different. He took out his cell-phone, not wanting the call tapped. For some reason, he hesitated then. Laying his head on the desk, closing his eyes and listening to the sound of his own breath. His blood pulsed through him causing his hands to ache with the vibration. After a short moment, he straightened up in the chair and shook his head. Dialing was hard and the wait for an answer was torture, but finally someone picked up.

„Yes." Lyle could hear the relaxation in Jarod’s mood and the shower water running in the background. He was resting against the pillows of Parker’s bed.

„It’s Lyle. Jarod, they took her! They took the twins!" Lyle blurted out. He couldn’t contain his emotions anymore.

„Who?" Jarod jerked up, nearly falling over.

„Brigitte! She made it look like I was in on it. Jarod, I had to play along. There were too many of them! I swear, I didn’t do this, Jarod!" Lyle fumbled through his explanation. Jarod could hear the fear in Lyle. It was a fear, a feeling, he hadn’t imagined the man possessed.

„Lyle calm down. When did they take them?" Jarod was now getting dressed with the phone catch between his cheek and shoulder.

„About two hours ago."

„Where are they being held?" he asked, while motioning to the figure standing in the doorway to come over and throw something on.

„They’re already on a jet to Africa. I tried to delay it, but…"

„Brigitte had this planned, so you were going to have to let it happened. She figured I wouldn’t believe you and she could have you on her leash again," Jarod simmed the situation in seconds. It had been awhile since he had done that, yet it was still easy.

„You believe me?" Lyle was genuinely stunned. Jarod ignored the question.

„Call Sydney and Broots. I’m going to need everyone’s help on this one. Tell them to pack an overnight bag with black clothes and quiet shoes. I’ll phone Sydney in an hour with a meeting place…." Jarod’s mind was off and running, „Oh and Lyle.."

„Yes?" Lyle waited impatiently to move.

„If you’re lying, I’m going to rip your heart out..." Jarod threatened.

„For her, nothing else would be fitting. Just save her, Jarod," Lyle begged him.

„I promise," he vowed. The call ended and Lyle took off down the halls to see if Sydney was in his office. He must have been a zombie striding toward his destination, because all the time he was remembering when the twins were born.

Only a few months ago, he had been in a hospital waiting room with Parker. Pacing back and forth, a picturesque cliché of the expectant father. Father… that had terrified him beyond words. Then finally Margaret had stepped in and said it was time. Lyle walked awkwardly into the delivery room. Jarod was there, telling Emily to start pushing. Lyle had moved to her side and held her hand through the rest of the contractions.

When the babies were handed to Emily and Lyle, he had been so afraid to drop his baby boy, he had gingerly sat down in a chair to hold him. Margaret, Parker, and Jarod stood around admiring them for a few minutes, then the question had come up. Names? What do you wish to name your twins?

Emily had left the issue of first names up to Lyle, because she already had middle names chosen. He had looked at Parker and Jarod, then back down at the child in his care.

„Let’s call our girl, Catherine. And the boy…. Kyle, if that’s all right with our doctor?" Lyle suggested. Jarod had flinched, yet his smile remained, so it was done. Lyle was a parent and in taking on that role, he became a certified lunatic when it came to anything about his children from safety to shopping. Now, the Triumvirate had his kids. This fact lit something inside Lyle, more intense than his other more psychopathic reactions.

Lyle found Sydney near his desk with Broots at the computer. They were working on, or supposedly working on, finding Jarod.

„Sydney," Lyle howled as he secured the door, „Brigitte…"

„We know. The aircraft took off less than an hour ago," Sydney informed the distraught intruder.

„I called Jarod, he’s… going to contact you…. I didn’t know… I lost … her." He began to hyperventilate. Sydney came to his side as he collapsed onto the couch.

„Calm down, Lyle. Jarod will take care of this," Sydney tried to reassure the young man before him.

„I can’t… calm down! They have her…. and my children! You don’t understand what it’s like there…The Centre is nothing compared to Africa!" he shouted.

„She’s tough, Lyle. She’ll be ok," Broots stepped away from the desk attempting to help.

„They’ll hurt her. And Kyle… Cathy…" Lyle ran his hand over his face.

„We’re going to save them," Sydney promised and Lyle saw some of Jarod in the old man.

---------

The group arrived at Parker’s house within four minutes of each other. First, Sydney with Lyle, then Broots, followed by Margaret, pulled into the driveway. Miss Parker came out the front door to greet them and ushered everyone into the dining room where Jarod had set up shop. He had blue prints and maps laying out on the table with guides to Africa. His bag was packed and sitting next to Parker’s on the floor of the livingroom.

„Jarod, what do we need to do?" Lyle asked barely getting to the pretender’s side.

„First thing, everyone needs immunization shots. Did you bring them Sydney?" he inquired as the doctor walked in.

„Right here." Sydney held up a medical bag. Broots and Margaret moved into the room right after him.

„Good. Then we need to get a plane rented. I have friends that can take care of that by the morning, early, which will put us at the complex during the evening tomorrow, probably five or six," Jarod estimated.

„What happens when we get there?" Margaret looked at the blue prints.

„This mission has four parts. Broots and I are going to sneak in first and go for the security systems. Then Sydney and Miss Parker go after the twins and Lyle finds Emily. Mom, I need you outside," he explained and pointed to where on the map, „Here in a van ready to get us to the airstrip where the plane will be waiting."

Margaret agreed reluctantly. She had played get-away before and was slightly weary of it.

„We’ll discuss it in more detail soon, but right now, the immunizations need to be done and I have to call those friends," Jarod instructed.

---------

It had been several agonizing hours of planning, however, as Jarod watched the bluish gray ocean so very far below pass underneath them, he was confident or maybe just determined.

„Are you all right?" Sydney’s concerned voice asked from behind Jarod. He turned to see his teacher step into the cockpit and sit in the copilot’s seat.

„Yeah. I’m just concerned for Emily and the twins," he lied. The dark areas under his eyes and the presence around him gave Jarod away.

„You’re tired," Sydney observed.

„That too," he admitted.

„I’m amazed how well you and Lyle are getting along," Sydney’s version of small talk.

„He and I have a good understanding now. Besides we’ve always managed civility," Jarod defended.

„You were wrestling each other," Sydney replied sarcastically.

„Sydney, if we’d had foam rubber bats in our hands, you would’ve called it anger management."

„Ha, ha… haven’t lost your sense of humor yet," Sydney commented. Jarod nodded with a sly smirk on his face.

„I’m afraid that’s a permanent condition."

„Mind if I keep you company?" Sydney inquired gently.

„I’ve never minded…" Jarod’s tone had a sentimental serious edge to it, that Sydney took to heart.

---------

„Don’t move," Broots said with a gun in his shaky hands as he burst through the security station entrance. Jarod was busy hiding the door’s guard, whom had just been knocked out. One of the men bolted past Broots and was a foot from the door when Jarod opened it. Jarod stared down at the unconscious man, then up at the other two men.

„He told you not to move." Brandishing his gun, Jarod directed the controllers.

„Drag him into the closet and leave your cell-phones here." The men glanced at each other and decided not to argue with this one, if he could get in their office, he was probably a professional.

„All right, let’s see how they fly this thing," Jarod suggested. Broots smiled and slid into the seat next to him. Switching on his headset, Jarod spoke to his operatives.

„You’re outside the north delivery entrance. There are two guards just inside the door, but no one else down that first hallway, so if you take them out, you’re good to move in," he relayed.

„Right, we know where the twins are, but Lyle needs to know where Emily is," she told him. Broots searched and came up with nothing.

„We don’t know. They must not have her in a viewed room or the cameras are off. My information from the computer records, place her on SL 4 in one of the cells. I’m not sure which one." This situation panicked Jarod and Lyle both.

„I’ll find her," Lyle ended the conversation.

„Good luck," Jarod whispered.

--------

Where was she? No one was suspicious of him yet, but what if that was to trap him. Lyle walked down the hallway past mostly empty rooms. Then he stopped at number 12. In the darkened cell, Lyle saw a glimmer, like something was reflecting the light from the hallway overheads.

„Anyone in there?" he whispered. A soft hysterical sigh was the only response. He came closer and recognized the shimmer of a diamond in the dim corner.

„Emily?" His eyes struggled to adjust to the absence of light.

„Em…" his voice broke off as he saw her. She was huddled in the corner, her back to the wall, her head down sobbing. The gloden chain holding his ring around her neck came in and out of view with each breath she took. He approached her cautiously, but he need not fear her. Emily was in so much pain and so confused, she found a familiar presence of slight comfort.. even his.

„Oh God, Emily. I’m so sorry…. I’m just so sorry." He carefully touched the side of her face as he felt the sting of her pain stab him in the heart.

„Lyle?" she questioned, now humble and defenseless before him.

„Yes, it’s me. Come on," Lyle whispered. He tried to help her up, but she couldn’t stand.

„Lyle, I can’t… I can’t walk," she cried. Lyle held her closer as a tremor attacked her body.

„It’s ok." He kissed her tear-stained face, „It’s ok, shh."

„Where are the twins? We have to…" Emily became at once hysterical.

„Parker and Sydney are getting them. Don’t worry." Lyle slid one arm under her knees and the other around her back. Slowly… gently he lifted her up and moved out of the cell, his love burying her head into his neck.

------------

Broots was ready to get out of there, so after setting up some cameras to shut down, he declared,

„I guess, it’s time to go back to the van."

„I have to take care of one last detail before we leave. I want you to find Sydney and make sure everyone get out safely. They’re on SL 2, use this elevator and act normal," Jarod instructed his friend.

„But, Jarod…" Broots started to protest.

„Go on, I have it under control here," Jarod commanded without turning around. The lights went out in the infirmary levels and alarms sounded in the five bottom sublevels. Chaos was necessary, if they were to exit as easily as they entered.

-----------

„Mrs. Parker, there a disturbance in Mutumbo’s office along with all the others on the lower levels. Would you like me to check it out?" Willie asked Brigitte over a walkie-talkie as she stepped out of the stairs onto SL 19. She found it difficult to hear him, because music was coming from everywhere.

„Hold my thoughts I'm at an impasse
Past the place I stopped before
The sweeper's sweeping fragments
Of my head out the door
And the ice it burns upon my forehead
The calmness starts to scream
Must I always hold the upright
When my soul longs to dream

Is it too much to find an answer
Is it too much to hold you close
Is it too much to find a reason
Is it too much to free my soul
From self control"

„No. He’s at a meeting in town, I’ll find out who’s in there. Just get down to SL 20 and see why the alarms are going off in an „Encounters of the Third Kind" pattern."

„I can't get it any better
I always end up killing time
Time for love and time for living
Time to find what's really mine…"

-----------

Lyle turned down a hallway on SL 2 and spotted Sydney and Miss Parker coming out of the nursery, his children safe in their hands. No sweepers were in sight, but he knew that was a momentary luxury.

„Parker, oh good you have them." Lyle sighed in relief. Parker saw him rushing toward them carrying Emily. Unfortunately, on the other end of the hall, Sydney heard voices of guards on their radios. They quickly hid in an empty office.

„Yeah, but this confusion won’t last long," Parker replied after the men had passed by.

„Is she all right?" Sydney asked, gazing at Emily. She seemed to be floating between conscious and unconscious.

„For now, but we need to get her to a doctor." Lyle glanced down at the welt on her cheek and tightened his grip. Suddenly a figure appeared in the doorway, frightening everyone… but only for a second.

„Guys this way," Broots said quietly.

„Broots, where’s Jarod?" Miss Parker realized the puppet master wasn’t on the other end of her headset anymore. As they exited the room and made their way down the corridor, Broots explained,

„Back in the security room still. He said he had something to do."

„The program…" Emily whispered, causing Lyle to be still.

„What?" Parker turned in surprise. Little Catherine wiggled in her arms almost crying.

„The program…."

„She’s not doing well. Sydney deliver her to Margaret. I’ll go see what’s taking Jarod so long." Sydney gave Kyle to a reluctant Broots and carefully removed Emily from Lyle’s hold.

„Don’t worry," Sydney said, looking down at her tenderly.

------------

Lyle used the elevator cables to reach the first floor without detection. Finding the security room was easy enough; he saw it just down three doors across the hall.

„Hey, who are you?" growled a sweeper from behind him.

„I… I happen to be a level four operative," Lyle said taking control with annoyance, „Have you found out what’s causing all these disturbances?" The sweeper took a step backwards.

„No, sir."

„Well, then don’t stand there! We have projects to protect and it would not be good if I had to report that some sweeper was busy accosting me while the jokester behind all this got away. What is your name anyway?" Lyle threatened.

„Robertson…" The man hesitated.

„I suggest you get down to SL 19, Robertson, and find out why the loud speakers are blaring „Fragments" by Vertical Horizon. I don’t care if you have to cut the wires, stop that racket," he ordered.

„Yes, sir." The sweeper nearly flew to the stairway with his new assignment in mind. Lyle shook his head, as he entered the room. Approaching the desk, Lyle watched the video feed change, while fizzing in and out.

„Damn. What are you up to now?" Lyle swore at the screen. Turning on his headset again, Lyle moved the dial to Parker’s frequency.

„Parker, get Sydney and get in here. Jarod’s doing his imitation of Indian Jones."

„Where is he?" She breathed out an exasperated sigh, climbing out of the van.

„Mutumbo’s office."

-------------

Sydney, Lyle and Miss Parker were now forced to use the air vents for transportation or risk getting caught in the sweepers’ lockdown. Jarod meanwhile was sitting comfortably at Mutumbo’s computer. He was working through all the access codes with a modified version of what Emily used to hack into the Centre’s secret files. Jarod had just gotten through when his comrades burst in.

„Jarod, what the hell are you doing?" Parker growled. Jarod didn’t even glance up at his rescue party; he was deeply engrossed in his work. The typing was loud and almost frantic.

„Jarod?" Sydney came closer to his student. Jarod sighed.

„I’m finishing this once and for all. In another minute, I’ll have the virus loaded, that will bring the whole God forsaken corporation to its knees," he explained.

„You what?" Lyle rushed to see the computer. Jarod pushed a wondrously small silver disk into the computer’s CD port.

„What did you think I was doing for the past year? I have my family or most of it. Now, this place and all its outposts are going down. I just have to type in this code," he defended, while continuing to click the keys. Sydney almost smiled at such an amazing possibility. No more Centre? Lyle and Parker were stunned; it had been Jarod stealing information all this time. What annoyed Parker was he hadn’t mentioned it to her. They concentrated so much on the pretender that they didn’t notice Brigitte unlock the door and slip in.

„Traitors!" she roared and fired expertly at Jarod knocking him out of the desk chair. He fell with a grazed left temple. Sydney reacted by shooting his own weapon. Brigitte shrieked and jumped back as the bullet nearly took her hand with her gun. When it landed, Brigitte thought about going after her 9mm, but Sydney fired another warning shot.

„Well, well, well, so twins actually DO things alike," she observed Parker trying to wake Jarod.

„Let’s end the game, Lyle. Stop them now and you get to live," Brigitte offered. Lyle glanced down at the computer. It had a blue box in the center of the screen that read:

VIRUS LOADED AND READY FOR DELIVERY.PRESS ENTER TO BEGIN INTERFACE

The „OK" button blinked in and out of bold font.

„Sorry, Brigitte, but somethings have to end." Lyle’s tone was somewhere between serious and surreal.

He closed his eyes. Remembering all the hatred in Emily’s face, Lyle hit enter. All the Centre and Triumvirate computers went black at once and began to play „It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)" by REM, finally every system, except the outside data record which Jarod had warehoused somewhere safe, crashed.

------------

Mr. Parker stepped outside of his office and watched the confusion build in the darkened hallways of the Centre.

------------

„What’s happening?" Brigitte yelled. The entire station was pitch black and no generators showed signs of starting up. Lyle advanced on her in the dim window light.

„If you weren’t a mother…" he murmured, considering taking her hostage.

„You son of a b…" she cut him off and was in turn cut off by him.

„Ever finish that statement and I’ll pull you apart," Lyle growled. Brigitte realized she was out numbered, so stepping back to the door, she hissed,

„When we get this taken care of, you’re all dead." He turned to Sydney and Parker.

„We have to leave before she finds enough sweepers."

„Air vents again," Sydney suggested. No one answered him, though; it was a silent agreement.

„How is he?" Lyle asked. His attention flowing to the fallen pretender lying on the Asian white carpet, converting it to a bloody red.

„Out cold, but otherwise all right," Parker replied and willed it to be true.

-----------

Jarod slowly became aware of a soft thumping sound beneath him and his senses told him, he was in a vehicle. This idea made him jump,

„What? Where are we?" Jarod tried to get up, but sunk down with a major migraine.

„On our way to the airport." He recognized that voice. Looking up to see Lyle staring down at him, Jarod groaned.

„Oh perfect… all that work to end up in Lyle’s arms." Sydney smirked at Emily who weakly smiled. Parker leaned back her seat, rocking her niece.

„How are we supposed to fly ‘Out of Africa’ in a plane that Jarod was supposed to pilot?" she asked.

„I think the answer to that just drove past us and nearly had a stroke," Margaret calmly observed a vehicle’s occupants. She pulled over to the side of the road, stopped the van and stepped out. Charles almost flipped the truck turning around.

„Always did like to make an entrance!" Margaret yelled at him. Major Charles came to meet her halfway across the street. He couldn’t believe his luck. J.C. had found the information on Emily’s capture and transfer not more than a few hours after it had happened. The Major, refusing to allow the Triumvirate to have his daughter, flew straight to Africa. Then less than an hour ago, he had been in the Mainframe, trying to figure out a strategy, when reports had shot up about malfunctions and possible escape attempts, so he decided to go find out if it was Emily, who had ran away. Now, here he was and there was his wife.

„Yeah, but I was usually following you!"

„Charlie…" Margaret was interrupted by a kiss. Wrapping his arms tightly around her, Charles whispered into his wife’s ear,

„I missed you." She wanted to melt against him and weep, but now wasn’t the time.

„Well, you’ll miss me more if we get caught. Get in and I’ll block the road with your truck."

„Who’s in the van?" he asked, grabbing his bags from the back.

„Your children and grandchildren!" she called as he hurried toward the vehicle.

„Hello, you must be J.C." Margaret greeted the child when she opened the driver’s door. The boy shrugged with a flash of confusion giving way to understanding.

„I guess. Are you Mrs. Riter?" the boy asked.

„You can call me Mom," she offered, climbing in and slamming the door.

„What does J.C. stand for?" The child was so cautious.

„Jarod Charles," she replied as if the other interpretation never existed in her mind.

„I like that," he smiled, „Dad’s just been calling me, Jarod." Margaret nodded.

„Go get in the van, Jarod and Emily need some help."

„Ok!" J.C. moved out of the passenger side and ran toward the van. Margaret turned her attention to parking the truck in the middle of the road.

-----------

„Emily…" Charles caught sight of his daughter, when he opened the sliding van door.

„Daddy!" she greeted him. Getting in, Charles noticed Lyle holding a sweet baby.

„Oh, my! Is this my granddaughter?" he asked. Sydney and Broots shared a thought, translated into their identical smiles.

„Yes, sir. Her name’s Catherine," Lyle explained. Charles held the darling baby like a professional.

„I suppose I should thank you for guarding my little girl?" he said, glancing up at Lyle.

„I love her." It was the only thing, Lyle could think to say. It was the only thing to say.

„You’d better, young man, or I’ll get rid of you military style." Charles’ tone was gruff, but humorous.

„Dad, don’t pick on Lyle, he’s had a tough time lately," Emily scolded. Charles winked at his daughter and handed his grandchild back to her father. Moving toward the couch in the rear of the van, the Major found Jarod resting. He was aware his father was there, but too tired to call his attention.

„Jarod, my God…" The young man’s head tilted up.

„Hi, Dad," he whispered.

„You look like hell," Charles observed. He helped Jarod slowly sit up.

„Rough day at the office," his son grumbled. The van door opened for the second time to reveal J.C.

„Miss Parker!" he exclaimed, happy to find his friend relatively well.

„Hey!" she said, reaching out her hand to pull him in.

„How are you?" Sydney inquired. J.C. realized who Sydney was immediately.

„I’m all right."

„Jarod, what happened?" J.C. asked moving to sit with Major Charles. He was still weary of the others in such close quarters with him.

„What else? I was shot," Jarod replied. J.C. had apparently developed a sense of humor, because his smile mirrored Jarod’s.

„Ha,ha…" Emily chuckled, shaking her head.

„Why are you laughing?" Jarod questioned playfully.

„Because twenty years later, you still have the same boyish grin!" she observed. Miss Parker cracked up at that point.

„You must be Emily," J.C. stated matter-of-factly.

„Should I take that as a compliment or a criticism?" Emily inquired, eyeing her father.

-------------

Margaret made her way into the cockpit of the plane, where Charles was flying. She had forgotten how much she enjoyed being his copilot.

„Well, everyone is finally comfortable. I think our children are going to make it just fine," she announced. Charles looked up, thoughtfully.

„And us? It has been a lot of years, Maggie." She nodded.

„I know and I’d be lying, if I said it wasn’t going to be hard. I’ve changed a great deal, so have you," she agreed. Their eyes met for a nervous moment, but each found the same sanctuary they had lost so many years ago.

„So what do we do about it?" he asked. Charles was never a quitter when he saw something he wanted.

„I don’t know. I guess we take a little vacation from everything, once the kids are settled and figure out who each other is again," Margaret suggested.

„That’s funny, because I already know who you are," he replied coyly.

„Who’s that?" She was intrigued. Charles took her hand in his.

„You’re my strong, sweet wife and I love you." He ended his words by kissing her fingers.

„I love you too, fly boy."

----------

J.C. sat opposite Emily watching her intensely. She opened her eyes sensing his stare and reached out her hand, motioning for him to come closer.

„So what do you think of your big sister and brother, hmm?" she asked, examining the young face. Innocence still hid in his features. Yet one glimpse at his eyes and she could feel his pain threaten to drop her heart out of her chest, the curse of a pretender.

„I don’t know. I love you both, because you’re my family." His response was honest and timid. Lyle walked in from the kitchen area with a cup of water for Emily. He patted the boy’s shoulder comfortingly.

„Spend some time with them and you’ll find more important reasons to care." The statement was simple; still it hid some great concessions behind it.

„I hope I will."

-----------

Beyond a curtain, in the back of the plane, Jarod stretched out in his reclined chair. Parker remained at his side, holding his hand. He was better now and concerned with her worries.

„I don’t know what to tell my father," Parker admitted. She loved Jarod and she loved his family, but her father… her blood. She couldn’t just leave him, could she? Parker thought of her mother and the attempted rescue, maybe she was completing a journey, the journey Catherine had started long ago.

„I think Emily and Lyle are deciding on a date for the wedding," Jarod mused.

„Yeah.." Parker acknowledged, not really sure where he was going, or maybe she simply didn’t accept it was possible.

„So let’s invite him to a double ceremony?" Jarod suggested. Parker was flabbergasted; he had managed to propose without a direct question or ring… and… and she couldn’t believe she was so ready to say yes.

„You are unbelievably confident, outrageously smug, and obscenely clever, aren’t you?" she teased.

„And?" Jarod knew better than to let the knots in his chest affect his speech.

„And I want you healthy for the wedding…" She matched his quiet question with an equally obscure answer.

„Ok," he promised with a soft kiss.

„No adventures until after the Honeymoon," Parker warned. Jarod placed his other hand over his heart.

„No adventures, cross my heart and hope to…"

„…Survive," she finished for him. His mind flickered with the great meaning in her choice.

„Survive," he agreed. Parker brushed her fingers through his hair, down to the sides of his jaw and drew her love into another passionate embrace.

A few pleasurable minutes later, Parker appeared from the curtain to let Jarod rest.

„Miss Parker, how’s my son?" Margaret asked, while washing her hands at the ‘kitchen’ sink. Parker reached into the refrigerator for some wine, but stopped. She decided to pour herself a glass of grape juice.

„He’s… he’ll recover," she said, choosing not to mention her engagement until they landed.

„She would have been proud of you, today," Margaret proclaimed in her ever calm way. Parker nearly dropped the cup.

„What?" She turned to face the comment and its owner.

„Your mother. Catherine and I were friends for a short time. She would be proud of you standing up to the Centre and this whole terrible organization," Margaret restated. Parker leaned against the cold metal counter for support.

„I guess so," she thought and whispered, „Meanwhile, Daddy will be less pleased." Parker had this scary little pain in her that wished to be released in tears or screams. She felt like a child, who had ruined her father’s favorite suit.

„Your father has been poisoned by his own power so long it may be too late, but don’t give up until you’ve tried." Margaret squeezed the young woman’s arm.

„I won’t, Mrs. Riter." She could barely look up at Margaret.

„Mom. Unless you mind?" Parker smiled. She wondered how the older woman knew so much; she would be a clever teacher.

------------

„Hey," Lyle greeted Jarod, as he slid through the curtain. Jarod lifted his eyelids and noting who it was, pulled himself up in the chair.

„Hi."

„Feeling better?" Lyle asked, moving into the seat next to him.

„Yeah, although, now I’m exhausted. How’s Emily?" Jarod shifted in his chair.

„She’s been through a lot, but I think she’ll be fine."

„I’m glad….. for both of you," Jarod said, forcing the last part to sound sincere. Strangely it wasn’t hard, in fact, Jarod began to believe he really meant it.

„Tell me something. This helping people game… you do it in part to make up for what you did at the Centre?" Lyle inquired after a silent moment. Ignoring the choice of the word ‘game,’ Jarod nodded.

„Yes."

„Does it work?" he asked. True fear and hope melded into the words, touching Jarod’s emotions.

„I think so. If nothing else it quiets the demons in my head," Jarod replied. Lyle met his eyes and he sighed.

„Well, that’s a start."
The End

Epilogue:

Jarod had failed to tell his family and friends that in addition to rendering the systems of the Triumvirate useless and placing all computer records in safe accessible areas, he had emptied the bank accounts. Routing them through 3,062 bogus accounts, he was able, by way of acquaintances, to withdraw and replant the money in small banks across the country. This successfully crushed the Centre down to a disorganized, financially bankrupt failure. After finding Angelo, who escaped in the blackout, Sydney, Parker, Lyle, and Broots cleared out their homes. Debbie was picked up from her friend’s house and the caravan headed out of Blue Cove.

Miss Parker called her father a week later to reason with him, but when she declared her love for Jarod, Mr. Parker violently disowned her. His threats were of little concern, because others were threatening him with deadly intensity and he was forced to disappear with Brigitte and their baby.

The wedding was on a glorious summer evening in lovely Cocoa Bench, Florida. The ceremony took place on an intimate edge of the bench covered by rose and tulip petals. The guests were limited to trusted friends.

Jarod and Lyle stood side by side as destiny walked up to each of them, smiling. Their tuxes were traditional black with decidedly English ties. Emily chose a black glove with a white rim around the wrist for Lyle’s hand. Broots was best man for both Jarod and Lyle. Debbie was flower girl with a basket of different colored rose tops, which she expertly tossed about the ground. J.C. held a white silk pillow displaying the four golden rings, shining in the fading sun.

Sydney walked Miss Parker down the aisle followed by Charles who brought Emily to stand beside her. They chose identical A-frame gowns, strapless at the top, dripping in a heart shape, then wrapping around to the back down to the waist. The bottom half was ankle length satin, while their veils hung just below their waists in the back and just above their shoulders in the front.

Not long after the vows, the reception was moved into a little hall. Pulling Parker aside on their way to the main table, Jarod asked,

„ ‘Do you, Jarod Riter, take Angelica Parker to be your lawfully wedded wife?’ Couldn’t use your real name, could you?" She smirked, completely satisfied.

„Not in this lifetime," she whispered.

„Come on, you have a beautiful name," he defended. Parker shook her head.

„Don’t push it, Boy Genius, or you can spend your wedding night alone." With that unnecessary threat, she tugged at him to follow her to their seats. Lyle and Emily didn’t notice their game. They were too busy with each other.

„Happy?" he inquired. Emily tilted her head against his shoulder.

„I have to say this is closer to normal. However, that term is pretty bland. I would like some excitement," she explained. Lyle glanced down at the engagement ring that still dangled around her neck.

„Oh, I don’t believe life with you could ever be dull."

-----------

Just before the first dance, Sydney nudged Jarod, who occupied the seat next to him.

„What is it, Sydney?" he asked.

„Take a look at yourself." Jarod looked over to see J.C. and Debbie talking vigorously and smiling in a corner of the room. He sighed and placed a hand on Parker’s arm. She gazed over at them and then in the direction Jarod nodded his head.

„I have just one question," Parker said obviously amused. Jarod glanced back at her.

„Yeah?"

„Who’s going to tell Broots?" Parker asked. Lyle and Emily, of course, postponed the discussion by getting up to dance. Jarod took his cue, stood and offered his hand to Parker, who accepted. Meeting in the center of the floor, both couples waited for their song to begin…

(„Stand By Me" by Ben E. King)

„When the night has come, and the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we’ll see
No, I won't be afraid, oh, I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
So darlin', darlin' stand by me
Oh stand by me
Oh stand, stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon should tumble and fall
Or the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darlin', darlin' stand by me
Oh stand by me
Whoa stand now, stand by me, stand by me

And darlin', darlin' stand by me
Oh stand by me
Oh stand, stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon should tumble and fall
Or the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no, I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darlin', darlin' stand by me
Oh stand by me
Whoa stand now, stand by me, stand by me
So darlin', darlin' stand by me
Oh stand by me
Oh stand now, stand by me, stand by me
Whenever you're in trouble just stand by me
Oh stand by me
Whoa stand now, oh stand, stand by me…"

The Lovely End




E-mail: Please send me feedback, good or bad; just write a little note if you don’t want to write alot.