Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

The Past Always Catches Up Part 9

Shocking revelations




“That’s not possible. It was destroyed,” Jarod gasped and got up from his chair in the interrogation room to start pacing.

“It seems they’ve been renovating it for some time now.”

“Why didn’t I know that?” Jarod asked briskly, talking to himself more than Sydney.

“I don’t know, Jarod. I didn’t know about it either,” Sydney replied, trying to soothe the younger man.

“When did they bring him in?”

“From what Broots has been able to find, about seven and a half hours ago,” Sydney recounted.

Jarod nodded, already starting to analyse the situation and the time frame. “Who’s in charge?”

“It seems to be a group project,” Sydney’s voice displayed the disgust Jarod’s old mentor felt. “Raines, Lyle and Cox are in it together.”

“Shit,” Jarod swore and drew a hand through his hair. He drew a deep breath to calm down and then concentrated back on the task at hand. “Do you know where on that level?”

There were hushed voices in the background.

“Broots says that he must be somewhere in the west wing. The renovations are finished there and there seems to be a tight surveillance and security system.”

“Thank you,” Jarod said and terminated the connection.

He leaned his back against the wall and let his head fall against it, closing his eyes briefly and trying to calm down and gather his strength. Concentrating, his mind instantly started formulating a plan of action, a plan that would help him free his son.

“Jarod?” Malone spoke up and roused him out of the phase of concentration.

He gritted his teeth and his gaze drilled into Malone. “What?”

“What did your informant say?”

Jarod balled his hands into fists. “It wasn’t good news. If you would excuse me now, my wife and I are leaving.” Jarod had pushed away from the wall and was out of the room, past the other three agents who had watched the interview through the one-way mirror, before anyone could stop him. He strode through the corridor to where he knew Parker was and barrelled through the door.

Parker looked up at him, her eyes quickly taking in his stance and judging his emotional state.

“We’re leaving.”

“No, you’re not,” Malone said from behind him, blocking the door.

Jarod turned on his heel and came face to face with the agent, their faces only inches apart. “Agent Malone, what part was hard to grasp? This is too big for you. You can’t help us. This isn’t your war so just stay out of it,” he growled.

Without turning away from the man, he stretched out his hand to Parker. “We’ll go now, Parker.” She got up and put her hand in his and together they stalked past the agents.

“We’ll just follow you.”

Jarod stopped, making Parker come to a halt next to him. “Agent, don’t bother to try. I can shake you off in a matter of minutes,” Jarod said, shooting a look over his shoulder.

“You didn’t lose us earlier today when you pulled your stunt at the airport,” Danny reasoned smugly.

Now Jarod turned around. “No, I didn’t because I didn’t see the need in it. You were far enough away from me so that you couldn’t interfere with my plans. Everything else wasn’t of importance. I didn’t care if you saw what I was doing.”

“What makes you think that you could lose us that easily?”

“I have a lot of experience in that area and I’m a pretender, agent Taylor,” he looked at the man. “I can become anyone I want to be and I can achieve anything I set my mind to.”

The agents looked at him doubtfully.

“See, that’s what I meant when I said that you wouldn’t believe me.” Jarod turned back and started walking again, Parker falling in stride next to him.

“I think he’s telling the truth. I mean, we all saw the articles. Maybe that’s the solution to it,” Danny said and Martin nodded next to him.

Jarod shook his head. “It’s the truth, but it’s no longer important because you won’t see us again. I’ll do this my way. Stay out of it.”

“Jarod,” Parker turned to him and put a hand on his arm. “Maybe they can help.”

“And just how do you think they could?” he asked incredulously, turning towards her.

“Maybe they’ll be able to shut that place down.”

“Parker, I’m not predominantly interested in destroying the Centre. At the moment my interest lies in keeping them from destroying Jay.”

“I know that but maybe this is the chance to accomplish both,” she reasoned.

The agents watched the communication silently, waiting for whatever it was the parents of the missing boy decided.

“I don’t think that they’ll be able to help and the problem is we don’t have the time to find out if they can. Jay was brought to SL-27 nearly eight hours ago. I don’t need to tell you what eight hours mean. It would take too much time to get them into the picture and then hope that they might be able to help; time that we don’t have, time in which Jay might be lost,” he shook his head. “I won’t risk that.”

“How are you going to get him out of SL-27 if he’s in bad shape, Jarod? He might be badly hurt or unconscious. He wouldn’t be able to walk, let along crawl all the way up to the surface.”

“See, that’s exactly what I still have to find out and what this discussion, and their investigation, is keeping me from. Had we been able to leave at once I might already have answers or it might have never gotten that far because I would already have him back out of there before they could do that much harm,” he said explosively.

“Yes, but we weren’t able to leave at once and maybe now we have to take what we get; maybe they’ll be the key to our problems,” she reasoned, pointing at the agents.

“Or the key to a completely different lock that won’t help us one little bit.”

“We don’t have much of a choice. We won’t be able to get Jay out of there alone,” she shook her head, looking him straight into the eye.

Jarod swallowed and leaned his back against the wall. Suddenly, his resistance and strength was gone. He slowly slid down the wall and buried his head in his hands. The words Parker had just spoken out loud had been exactly what he had feared all the time and what he slowly realized was coming true. They wouldn’t be able to liberate Jay alone.

Parker crouched down in front of him. “Jarod, we don’t have a choice. Maybe they’re our only option; one the Centre doesn’t count on. We can’t do this on our own. We need them.”

He nodded slowly, trying to get his composure back and then grabbed her outstretched hand. She drew him up and he straightened. When he looked up, he was back in control of his feelings, leaving the agents again to wonder how he could switch between those personas. One moment he was highly distressed and the next moment he was cold as ice and calmly assessing the situation.

“Ok, agents. I guess you’re in then. You wanted it that way so don’t complain,” Jarod looked at the agents and shook his head. “Five people are not nearly enough if you want to get that corporation swept. You better get a small army together. We’ll be barely able to give you the basic facts before acting. You’ll have to take my word. Once I get the impression you’re not following me or you might be deciding against trusting me and helping us, I’ll leave and do this myself, is that clear?”

~~~~~~~

There were a lot of things that had to be organized very quickly.

It took Jarod and Parker about an hour to lay out the general facts. Everything would have toppled except one agent heard from an FBI investigation that was running against a corporation called “The Centre”.

Getting those in charge of the project had taken a while but they had supplied some more useful information and that had brought the breakthrough so that there was no doubt any longer that Jarod and Parker were telling the truth.

The ones in charge of the “Centre”-project had been thrilled about the appearance of Jarod and Parker. Despite their efforts, they had never been able to get enough incriminating evidence and information against the Centre to start a raid. But with what Jarod and Parker could provide, taking legal action was no longer a problem.

Within a little more over two hours Jarod and Parker were out of the FBI headquarters and flying towards the Centre via helicopter, making up the time they had lost due to the explanations.

Jarod had insisted upon going into the Centre himself and the FBI had grudgingly agreed to wait for him to reach the boy before they would start the raid.

They had agreed when Jarod had argued that Jay was not safe as long as no one was there to protect him, which the agents definitely weren’t able to as long as they were on the ground level or one of the upper sublevels.

Jarod feared that the Centre would try to silence as many inmates of the Centre as possible once they realized that the war against the official authorities could only be lost.

No one had argued with him about that point after what they had heard over the course of the last sixty minutes. So Jarod was granted a head start in which he would be able to make his travel to the Centre and down into the deepest hole, SL-27. And while they were already travelling to the Centre, the FBI agents were starting to brief every available agent for the raid.

Once Jarod was down on SL-27 and he gave the signal, the raid would be started, no going back possible.

And while Jarod would travel through the Centre’s air vents, Parker had set her mind to placing a call to either of her former co-workers and make them pack a few belongings together and leave the city to travel as far away from the Centre and the raid the FBI would start in no more than six or seven hours.

She shook her head, trying to shake off the images and dark thoughts. Sitting next to Jarod in the helicopter, she reached for his hand, trying to instil some confidence in holding it.

“It’ll work out,” she said, trying to convince both of them.

“I really hope so,” he whispered. “I really hope so, because I’m gambling with Jay’s life.”



To be continued…