Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: As always, I don’t own them and so on and so on… no money-making intended... don’t sue.

~~~~~~~

The Past Always Catches Up Part 6

Phoning for help


Walking towards the agents’ car, a thought shot through Jarod’s mind, making him stop directly in front of the vehicle. “I have to make a phone call first,” Jarod announced and made a step backwards.

“You don’t need to call your attorney. You’re not under arrest, at least not yet,” Malone replied calmly, making eye contact.

“I don’t want to call my attorney. I don’t need to because I haven’t done anything,” in his thoughts Jarod added a ‘yet’ to the sentence but he didn’t say it aloud.

Malone looked at him doubtfully, contemplating if he should try to hinder the man in making the call.

“You said it yourself: we’re not under arrest,” Jarod pointed out and then stepped away from the group. He wasn’t hindered in getting his cell phone out. He stepped further away from the group, making sure they wouldn’t overhear his conversation. Dialling a number he hadn’t called in over a year, he waited with his back on the group, shooting them wary glances over his shoulder every few seconds.

Before the call was picked up, he made eye contact with Parker. She was frowning, not knowing what he was trying to do. Then the call was answered and he turned his back on the group of people and concentrated on the conversation.

“This is Sydney,” his old mentor answered. The familiarity of the words installed a strange kind of reassurance in Jarod.

“Where is he?”

“Jarod?” Sydney breathed, surprised that his former protégé would call after such a long silence.

“Where is he, Sydney?” Jarod repeated, his voice even harsher than before.

“Who?”

“Jay.”

“Jay?” Sydney asked, confusion clear in his voice.

“Yes, Jay,” Jarod confirmed in a hard voice and then remembered that the name wouldn’t be familiar to Sydney. He didn’t know the young man under that name. “Gemini.”

“I don’t know, Jarod.”

Jarod started pacing, his eyes cast downward on the ground. “Come on, Sydney. Where is he?”

“I really don’t know but I’ll try to find out,” Sydney replied.

Jarod kept silent for a few moments, trying to swallow the anger that welled up in him again.

“What happened?” Sydney asked when Jarod didn’t say anything.

“The Centre happened,” Jarod snapped. He rubbed a hand over his eyes.

“I’ll see what I can do for you, Jarod.”

Jarod nodded. “I call you again in two hours,” he was about to terminate the connection when he heard Sydney’s voice.

“No, Jarod.”

“What?” Jarod asked, bringing the phone back to his ear.

“Give me your number. I’ll call you the moment I have anything. There’s no need to wait for your call. If I get anything earlier then I’ll call you, but it might take me longer than two hours.”

Jarod contemplated his mentor’s remark and then he nodded. “Ok. I’ll give you the number. But, Sydney, know this: the number won’t exist for more than,” he paused and looked at his watch. ‘Damn, already more than four hours since this started’, he thought. “More than eight hours, tops. After that, I won’t be able to pick up your call.”

“What are you up to?” Sydney asked worriedly.

“At the moment nothing, but I won’t take the cell with me once I’m near the Centre. It’s too dangerous. Should they get their hands on it, the rest of my family is in danger,” he said shortly.

“Ok, give me the number.”

After giving Sydney the number and terminating the connection, Jarod put his cell away and walked back to the group of people waiting for him. He ignored the curious glances and merely took his place next to Parker. “We should leave.”

And with that the group started their travel to the headquarters of the FBI.

The agents didn’t try to get anything out of the parents during the travel. They needed to know what Vivian and Sam had found out before they could start with detailed questionings.

As for Jarod and Parker, they were quite fine with the silence that enveloped the group in the car. They were quietly contemplating possible ways out of this mess.

Jarod was already running simulations about possible scenarios to get Jay out of the Centre but he would need to know where they were keeping him for that.

This FBI investigation was just what he didn’t need at the moment. It was stealing valuable time from them; time that would be needed for a well planned operation that stood a chance of succeeding. If they didn’t move soon he would have to hurry to get to the Centre and then walk in there unprepared; not knowing what was awaiting him.

He could only hope that Sydney would find out where Jay was being held or, if not, that Angelo would meet up with him sometime during the crawl through the Centre’s vents and guide him. Otherwise he would stand no better a chance of succeeding than an ice crystal surviving the fires of hell.

Jarod trembled and he felt Parker’s hand come to rest on his thigh. He looked up briefly, his eyes full of emotion for a split second.

Parker cupped his hand in hers and their fingers entwined instantly. Both could feel the other’s pain.

Jarod wanted nothing more than get Jay out of the Centre’s grasp, but that was exactly what wasn’t possible due to the FBI investigation.

Somehow it was ironic. These people wanted to help. It was their job to find missing people, to help liberate abducted people, but in this case they were only making things worse and putting Jay in worse danger than he was without them.

Hopefully they would hurry so Parker and he would have the chance to save Jay before it was too late.


To be continued…