Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one.

Author’s Note: RL is still so keeping me from everything and I suck majorly for not finding the time to update; I suck even more for not being happy with this story any longer and seriously reconsidering the sequel I had in mind. *sighs* so not all is good. Anyway, here’s chapter 14 now.

~~~~~~~

The Past Always Catches Up Part 14

Step by step



Parker carefully poked her head through the door, finding both Jarod and Jay asleep. Jarod was lying on his side with his back facing towards the door and Jay was pressed as close to Jarod as his battered body would allow.

She smiled sadly, knowing it must have been a very rough night for them. She had only found Jay huddled that close to Jarod twice before and on both occasions it had been a terrible night.

The first time had been before the Major, Emily and Ethan had joined them. They had received a message from Angelo, telling them that the rest of their family was in great danger and Lyle was on his way to capture them.

They had just barely evaded the capture, thanks to a hastily made call.

Jay had been greatly distressed, even though he had been able to speak them on the telephone. Memories of his liberation had returned, combined with repressed memories from his past in the Centre.

Jarod had gone to help Jay calm down but he hadn’t returned to their bedroom. At first she hadn’t thought anything of it. Just as with Jarod, it always took a while to get Jay to re-emerge from a nightmare and calm down. But when she had awoken to an empty bed two or three hours later she had gone investigating and found Jay huddled close to Jarod. Jarod had been awake and gestured for her to go back to bed and that everything was fine.

The other occasion had been after Jay had watched the news and learned that one of his simulations had been used to make a successful assassination on an ambassador’s life.

Jay had been upset but had seemed to be ok after both she and Jarod had talked to him for a long time. It was only during the night that his screams had echoed through the house - the news report had forced memories from simulations and sessions with Raines re-emerge.

She had tried to help Jarod calm Jay down but had soon realized that this was one of the occasions where she couldn’t help.

After sharing a glance with Jarod she had gone back to bed, getting only little sleep afterwards.

Again she had found Jarod still in Jay’s room at morning.

Parker breathed deeply to get her composure back, walked into the room, and sat down on the vacant chair next to the bed.

She had barely sat down when Jarod’s head turned and he looked at her. There were dark circles under his eyes.

“Hey,” he mumbled tiredly.

“Hey yourself,” she whispered back and stretched to give him a kiss.

Jarod slowly and carefully extracted himself from Jay’s embrace to get up. He motioned for her to follow him to a corner of the room so that they could talk without disturbing Jay.

“I take that it was a rough night,” Parker said, touching Jarod’s cheek.

Jarod briefly leaned into her touch and then rubbed a hand over his burning eyes. “Rough is a mild word for it. We both didn’t get a lot of sleep. I think I only managed to get him to calm down about an hour and a half ago.”

Parker grimaced and then embraced him firmly, trying to give him some strength through the firm but gentle embrace. She knew he was bone tired but she also feared that he wouldn’t get out of the hospital any time soon. Jarod would probably sleep on the bed that stood in the far corner of the room the next time, if he was able to sleep at all.

“Get yourself some breakfast,” she whispered and withdrew slightly.

Jarod nodded and then quietly walked out of the room after dropping a kiss on her nose.

Parker followed him with her eyes until the door closed. Only then did she turn and walk over to the bed where Jay was still sleeping.

~~~~~~~

Jarod leaned with his back against the door in the hospital corridor. He closed his eyes.

Three pairs of feet were approaching, making him look up. As soon as he recognized them, his eyes narrowed and he straightened.

“Jarod,” one of the three men greeted.

“Agent Malone, agent Fitzgerald, agent Taylor,” Jarod replied tensely.

“How’s your son?” agent Fitzgerald asked.

“Certainly not good enough to be questioned,” he stated firmly, leaving no room for discussion. He still stood with his back directly to the door, building a wall the agents would have to break to get to Jay.

Agent Malone shook his head, “That’s not why we are here.”

Jarod’s eyebrow rose. “No? Why are you here then?” his tone of voice was coloured with suspicion, caution and a hint of warning.

“Our investigation here is finished and we came to see how your son was before we head back to New York,” Martin stated calmly.

Jarod looked at them and then relaxed slightly. “Physically he’s on his way to recovery but psychologically…” he trailed off. “We just had a rough night that was interrupted by more nightmares than I want to remember.”

“Unfortunately, that’s nothing uncommon for abduction victims,” Agent Malone spoke up.

“I know, but I don’t really think this is comparable,” Jarod replied icily.

Malone shook his head sadly. “Yes and no. Basically the fears and nightmares are similar in every case, but your son certainly endured cruel torture during the hours he had to spent in that building.”

Jarod sighed. “When do I have to expect the other agents who will come to try and question him, Parker and I about what happened?”

“They’re still busy with their investigation and sweeping the building, but I guess you have no more than a few hours to a day at the most,” Fitzgerald said sympathetically.

Jarod nodded. “Only to be expected. I’m sorry I gave you such a hard time with your investigation.”

“No harm done, and after what you experienced I can’t even say I blame you,” Malone waved a dismissive hand.

Jarod held out his hand. “Thank you, agent Malone,” he said earnestly.

The agent shook the offered hand firmly and when Jarod turned to the younger agents and did the same.

“And thank you, agent Fitzgerald and Taylor just as well. Oh, do you have any information about what happened to the key-players? Parker already told me about Mr. Lyle and Mr. Cox but what about Mr. Raines?” Jarod asked, looking at both agents.

Agent Malone nodded. “Mr. Raines was found dead in his office. He obviously shot himself through the head before our men could get to him.”

Jarod raised a suspicious eyebrow. “He’s dead?”

“That’s our information, yes,” Danny affirmed.

“Forgive me my scepticism but that man has come back from the dead again more times than I can recount. Where is his corpse being held?”

“He has been transported to Dover as far as I know. You’ll have to speak about that with the agents that you know will come here sooner or later,” Malone said.

“Yes, I’ll do that,” Jarod stated firmly. Before he could do anything else, a scream reached his ears through the closed door to his son’s room, making him spin on his heel and burst into the hospital room.

Parker was trying to calm the young man down and Jay’s eyes were wide with fear as they darted around the room.

Once the door opened, Parker briefly turned towards it and saw Jarod standing in the door frame.

With three big strides Jarod was at her side.

Jay’s eyes flew over to him and he flinched, drawing up his hands to protect himself before recognition flickered into the deep brown eyes. When he identified his father he let his arms sink and whimpered, his eyes filling with tears once more.

The agents that stood in the door frame watched the scene unfold itself in front of them and shared a sad glance at what the family would have to go through in the near future.

Jay caught the movement and his eyes flew over to the men that stood in the doorway. Taking in their appearance, he whimpered and stretched out a hand as if he wanted to shield them off with it. He was trying to get as far away from them as possible, shivering in Jarod’s arms and mumbling the word ‘no’ over and over again.

The agents shared another glance, this time frowning. “Why is he afraid of us?” Agent Fitzgerald asked.

Parker was about to answer that Jay was afraid of every stranger at the moment but then Jarod looked up at them and tried to see the men through the eyes of the frightened boy that clung to him. “Dark suits,” he said, “Sweepers’ attire.”

“Excuse me?” Agent Malone asked.

Parker drew in a shaky breath, looking at the agents again, knowing what Jarod and therefore Jay meant. “He thinks you are Sweepers.”

The three agents shared another glance and turned around to leave the family alone.

“No, stay please,” Jarod’s voice followed them, making them halt, but before they could question his request he had his attention already focussed back on Jay. They retook their positions in the doorframe and shot Parker a questioning glance, but she just told them to stay where they were with a gesture of her hand.

“Jay,” Jarod called softly. “Jay, I want you to look up at the three men again,” Jarod said evenly but Jay shook his head, his face still buried in Jarod’s chest. “Jay, come on,” Jarod’s voice was stern but yet gently. “I want you to look at them; to look real good.”

Jay didn’t reply.

“Jarod, I think it’s ok. You shouldn’t ask that of him,” agent Fitzgerald said.

Jarod’s head whipped around and his eyes bore into the agents. “Just stay there, please,” the tone of his voice nearly betrayed the ‘please’. The agents nodded slowly and Jarod turned back to Jay.

“Come on, Jay. I want you to look up now,” Jarod ordered firmly but gently. “I want you to look at them closely and then I want you to tell me if they really look like Sweepers.”

It took a few minutes for Jay to work up the courage to do as Jarod had asked him. Jarod stayed silent, not wanting to apply more pressure on the boy. He was certain that because he was still sitting there calmly next to him, Jay would register that the situation couldn’t be that dangerous. He knew that Jay would eventually look up.

And he did.

Fear was still written all over his face when Jay looked at the agents. He looked them over but didn’t look into their eyes.

Jarod felt him trembling slightly and he increased his hold on him, giving him strength and reassurance through the grip.

Jay looked away again after the silent observation and Jarod gave him a few moments before he spoke up once more.

“And?” he asked gently. “Are they Sweepers?”

“No.”

“No,” Jarod affirmed. “They’re FBI agents and they were responsible for your case.”

Jay looked up at the men again and this time he let his gaze wander up to their faces and he briefly met their gazes.

“Agent Taylor,” Jarod spoke without turning. “Would you mind coming here for a second?” he asked and added “slowly.” He purposefully chose one of the younger agents because he didn’t show any similarities to a ‘normal’ burly Sweeper and he was wearing a lighter suit.

The agent didn’t question the father’s command. The man seemed to know exactly what he was doing and so he slowly stepped into the room.

Jay’s head whipped around again and he tensed.

“Stop,” Jarod said calmly and the young agent halted in his movements. “Jay. I’m here and your mom is here. We wouldn’t let anyone we didn’t trust come close to you and you know that.”

Jay nodded slowly and swallowed.

“Ok, Danny,” Jarod consciously used the agent’s forename to further disarm the situation.

Agent Taylor took another careful step and another one until he was standing directly in front of the bed.

Jay’s eyes were never leaving the agent but he seemed to relax slowly. His father soothingly stroked his back.

“Hey, kiddo,” Danny said gently, a softer version of his trademark smirk on his face. It usually worked to make a suspect comfortable so he gathered it would do in this situation as well.

The boy swallowed but didn’t reply.

“You know, I heard a lot about you when we were working on your case. It’s nice to finally meet you in person,” Danny went on. “We wanted to know how you were before we went back to New York with our team and that’s why we came here today.”

Jay tilted his head slightly and relaxed further.

“See,” Jarod spoke to Jay in soft tunes. “I told you that they were harmless. They came here to see you.”

Jay looked up at his father and then he nodded and turned back to the agent that stood in front of him. “Thank you,” he mumbled quietly. Though his voice was quivering and Danny could tell that he was still not entirely comfortable with the situation, his eyes were clear and he now met the agent’s gaze bravely.

Danny smirked again and winked at him. “It’s our job but… you’re very welcome.”

“Jay, I want agent Fitzgerald and Malone to come here as well so that you can say hello to them just as you did to their fellow agent,” Jarod said and motioned for agent Malone and Fitzgerald to enter the room.

Jay’s eyes moved over to the slowly approaching agents but he stayed calm this time.

Jarod shot Parker a look and she nodded, a smile playing at her lips.

“Hello Jay,” Martin said softly when he stood next to his partner.

“Hello,” Jay replied shyly, his eyes moving from Fitzgerald to Malone and back to Danny.

“Agent Malone there is Danny and Martin’s superior. He’s leading the team that is entirely focussed on finding missing persons,” Jarod explained.

Jay surprised the agents when he extended a slightly shaking hand towards them.

Agent Malone was the first to shake it very gently and Danny and Martin followed suite.

Jarod slowly released his grip on Jay and got up from the bed nonchalantly. He observed Jay’s body language and happily noted that he didn’t tense up or withdraw now that he was sitting alone on the bed without the reassurance of either Parker or him directly next to the boy.

A proud grin lingered on his face when he watched the young man working through one of the problems he would be encountering in the future.

They would have to work hard but eventually Jay would set the trauma the Centre had made him go through behind him. A huge mountain of problems still lay in front of them but Jarod was determined to restore Jay’s self-confidence and to work hard to make the personality that had been destroyed so brutally whole again.

He silently vowed that he wouldn’t stop before he had succeeded, no matter how long it took.


To be continued…