Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: The characters and events in this story are fictitious. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author. "The Pretender" is a protected trademark of MTM Television and NBC, and the characters of that series are used here with no mean intent or desire for remuneration. It is a fan tribute to excellent television, for which the author is grateful. The characters of Casey and Stacey Winslow and Damien are my creations.

Notes: The events of this story take place just after the events in Baby Love
Thoughts are indicated by italics

Rating: NC-17 (male/female sexual situations)

Copyright: 1997



Duets
Part One of Seven
JasmineSky



Sydney walked slowly into Mr. Parker's office, dreading what might have caused him to summoned there.

Mr. Parker wasted no time on pleasantries. "You have a new assignment."

"What?" Sydney was incredulous. "Jarod is my priority! I can't take on another assignment."

"You can and you will. You will still be on call if Jarod is located. It's been over a month since we've had a sighting on him and almost a year since he escaped. The Center has work to do. We must move on without Jarod. Your new project may be just what we need."

"How so?" Sydney inquired, just a bit curious.

Parker handed him a newspaper clipping.

"Twins orphaned by a car bombing" Sydney read the caption aloud. He then continued reading about twin girls from Meridian, Maryland who witnessed their parents car explode as the father turned the ignition. The girls were 17 years old and had been home schooled. Authorities could find no record of their birth. They had found no records whatsoever except for some test scores indicating both girls had IQ's in the 240 range. Authorities were searching for relatives to take the girls in.

"The girls are coming here?" Sydney wondered.

"Yes" Parker explained, "The Centre produced documents to indicate that their third cousin on their mother's side lives in Blue Cove and will provide for them."

"Your job, Sydney, is to find out just what they can do. Or what Stacey can do. The article didn't mention that Casey is disturbed."

"Disturbed?"

"Psychotic. We aren't sure in what way. That will be your job also"

"I'll do my best." Sydney replied.

"I know you will. They arrive at noon tomorrow."


* * * *


The black car pulled up in front of the Centre--followed by a large Hertz moving van. Sydney, Broots and Miss Parker peered at the monitor.

"Looks like your new wunderkids are moving in bag and baggage!" Miss Parker quipped.

"Are they supposed to be Pretenders? Are they gonna replace Jarod?" Broots spoke before thinking.

"No one knows what the girls can or can't do. And no one will ever replace Jarod!" Sydney told him, then turned on his heels and headed downstairs to meet his new charges.


* * * *


As Sydney approached, he could see a young lady with long blonde hair gesturing wildly and apparently arguing with one of the sweepers who had brought the twins to the Centre. She was wearing faded blue jeans and a hot pink T-shirt with a collage of endangered animal pictures on the front. As he got a bit closer he could hear them.

"I do what I'm told to do by my boss, Miss" Carlos explained.

"Well, you tell that boss of yours Casey and I aren't taking another step until we have Damien. Right here. Right now!"

Another sweeper, George, came charging up with a large black Doberman on a leash.

"Damien!" Stacey exclaimed, "There you are, boy!" She took the leash. Her sister cautiously got out of the car and began to pet the dog. She too had on faded jeans, but she wore a crop top that looked like it had been ripped at the bottom rather than cut. Her hair was in disarray.

Sydney cleared his throat. "Excuse me. I'm Dr. Sydney Green. I'll show you to your room."

"I'm Stacey. Are you the man who claims to be our cousin?" Stacey spat out.

"Um, no. I ‘ll be helping look after you."

"We don't need looking after. Just show us to our rooms."


* * * *


Sydney led the way to the room assigned to the twins. George, Carlos and a couple of other sweepers tagged along with several suitcases. Stacey still had Damien on the leash.

"Animals aren't allowed in this part of the building." Carlos stated.

"Damien goes where we go. Don't worry! He's well trained and we'll walk him when the need arises." Stacey told him.

The sweepers put down the baggage and exited.

"So--is this Casey's room or my room?" Stacey inquired

"We thought you might want to room together." Sydney informed her.

"You thought wrong. For now it will do, but I expect private accommodations as soon as possible."

"I'll let you get settled in."

"Hey wait--those goons forgot to stop for lunch. How about rustling up some hamburgers and fries?"

"I'll see what I can do."


* * * *


Mr. Parker and Mr. Raines had watched everything from the monitors in Mr.Raines office.

"Demanding little wench, isn't she?" Parker said, amused.

"I just hope Sydney can get her to cooperate." Raines muttered.

"I have faith in Sydney. If anyone can get results with twins he can."

"That remains to be seen."


* * * *


After sending George to the nearest McDonald's (a thirty minute drive, both ways) for the girls' meal, Sydney sat down in his office to reflect on the days events .

Stacey certainly had a mind of her own and wasn't shy about stating her thoughts or needs. Casey, on the other hand, had not uttered a word. She walked slowly with her head down. They were lovely young ladies--long blond hair, ice blue eyes, slim figures, but full and round in all the right places. What am I thinking? Sydney admonished himself. He took down a textbook and began looking for information on Casey's symptoms.


* * * *


An hour later, George came by Sydney's office with the McDonald's food. Carlos was with him.

"They're all yours now, Sydney. You take them their chow. I sure don't envy you your job." George told him.

Carlos chuckled. "You should have been there, Sydney. World War Three almost broke out."

"Tell me about it." Sydney asked, intrigued.

"Parker sent two loads of Sweepers to get them. We didn't know what we would encounter. It's a good thing he did--the Winslow compound is nothing short of a fortress." George began.

Carlos picked up the story," We finally got through all the gates and suddenly we were face to face with a bunch of armed guards. Amos had the documents and he waved them in the air and told them we had official business there."

"They didn't budge. The whole lot of us had guns pulled. It was getting very tense until the door opened and Stacey walked out"

"All those guns pulled and she didn't bat an eye. She walked up to Amos and got the documents, glanced over them, and told Amos and Carlos they could come inside.

Carlos smiled and added," She also told, no ordered everyone to put away their weapons. Once we were in the house she and a lady who had been staying with the girls until other arrangements could be made looked through the paperwork. Stacey stated right away that there were forgeries and she did not have any cousin in Delaware or anywhere else. The lady seemed to think they were real."

"Anyway, Stacey finally said she and her sister would come with us--and asked where the van was. She wouldn't move a muscle until we had the big truck there to put every personal possession they had in." George continued.

"Plus the dog and the horses."

"Horses?" Sydney inquired.

"Two Arabian stallions. Necromancer and Daedulus. We used the Winslow's horse trailer and left them at a stable two hours from the Centre." Carlos explained.

"Yep. That Stacey is one demanding little lady. Just seventeen and I'd bet she could go one on one with Miss Parker!" George commented.

"The poor kid had been through a lot. And you saw how rich they were. Rich people are used to getting what they want."

"Sounds like you want to adopt her yourself" George teased.

A strange look passed over Carlos's face.

"I amend that! I see it isn't paternal interest you have in her. She is a looker!"

Sydney cleared his throat. "I'd better get that food to them before it gets cold."


* * * *


Sydney knocked on the girls' door. He could hear quite a racket going on inside. As Stacey opened the door, the music almost knocked Sydney back. It was acid rock and it was loud. Casey was dancing wildly in the middle of the floor.

"Turn it down." Stacey ordered her sister. She was ignored.

Stacey waked over to Casey and took her sister's face in her hands and looked intensely into her eyes. Casey went to her CD player and turned the volume to low, then followed her twin to the door.

"It's safe to come in now." Stacey told Sydney.

Syd stepped just inside the door. "Here's your lunch."

Stacey took one of the bags and Sydney handed the other toward Casey. She stared at the bag.

"Casey, this is Dr. Sydney Green. I'm going to be working with him."

Casey stared at Sydney for a moment then grabbed the bag and rushed to a nearby desk to eat. Damien lay at her feet. Stacey motioned for Sydney to sit in a chair by another desk and she pulled up a chair for herself. She took the hamburger out of the bag and began to nibble it.

"So, Sydney, what exactly is this place and why is someone claiming to be my cousin?" she blurted out.

Sydney was a bit startled at her pointed questions.

"This is a sort of think tank. The people who run it think you might enjoy working here. And what makes you so sure he isn't your cousin? Maybe your parents just never mentioned him."

"I'm sure there are no Randall Parker's in my family. When do I get to meet this faux cousin?"

"I don't know."

"Then find out. Arrange a meeting if one isn't scheduled."

"I'll see what I can do."

Damien's bark made Sydney jump.

"Oh, he needs to go out. You take him Sydney. I'm not through eating." She got up, put Damien on his leash and handed it to Sydney. The dog looked at the man warily and vice versa. Stacey knelt down to the dog.

"This is Sydney." she said and patted Syd's leg," Good, good." She stood back up and looked at Sydney.

"Are you sure you didn't just tell him my LEG was good--for lunch?" Sydney quipped.

At first she didn't react to the joke, then her face lit up and she laughed out loud.

Sydney hurried down the hall with Damien in tow, trying not to think about the tingle he got down his spine when she laughed. His mind was also on how her eyes sparkled and how her smile lit up the room. He ran right into Broots.

"Whoh! Sydney!" Broots exclaimed.

"Sorry, Broots. I'm taking Damien for a walk."

The dog approached a suddenly nervous Broots.

"Heel, Damien." Sydney commanded and the dog complied.

Well, thought Sydney as he continued toward the courtyard, at least I have one member of the Winslow family cooperating.


* * * *


After seeing to Damien's needs, he sent Carlos (a bit reluctantly) to return the animal to his owners. Sydney headed to Parker's office to set up the meeting Stacey wanted.

Surprisingly, Mr. Parker readily agreed and told him to bring her up as soon as possible.

Sydney and Stacey entered Mr. Parker's large plush office. Mr. Raines was standing by the desk and Parker was seated. He arose and strode toward Stacey with his hand extended.

"Hello, Stacey. I'm your cousin Randall Parker. I was so sorry to hear about your parents."

She ignored the hand. "You're not my cousin." she stated firmly.

"Third cousin once removed on your father's side. I suppose they never mentioned me. I never kept up with distant relatives that much. However, I felt I must step forward when I saw the newspaper article and the Winslow name. I want to help care for you and Casey."

Stacey laughed and clapped. "Good speech, mister. But I know you're lying. You said you recognized the Winslow name? That isn't our real last name. Our parents were in a witness protection program. The Winslow name was made up."

Mr. Parker seemed taken aback. Mr. Raines then spoke for the first time.

"Then what is your last name young lady?" he queried.

"That's for me to know--and you not to find out." she smiled.

Everyone was silent for several seconds.

"Look, it doesn't really matter. We're here now. You obviously want something from me. Maybe we can work out a deal." Stacey finally told Mr. Parker.

"What kind of deal do you have in mind?"

"I'll write down my requirements and you write up a work contract. We'll meet tomorrow at this same time a negotiate."

"That sounds reasonable under the circumstances." Parker agreed.

Parker summoned Carlos to take Stacey back to her room. Sydney started to go with her, but Raines told him to remain.

"I'll check on you later, Stacey." he said as she left.


* * * *


Mr. Raines began to pace.

"She's even smarter than we figured. No wonder Broots couldn't find any records on the family." Parker stated.

"You aren't seriously considering meeting a list of demands and giving her the impression that she's working for us, are you?" Raines asked.

"I intend to make it appear that way." Parker replied. "Sydney?"

" I think your assessment is correct. That may be the only way to get anything from her. She's not a child! She's almost eighteen. I could get a child under six to cooperate using other means, but not Stacey. She has to believe she is an equal that anything she does for the Centre is of her own choosing." Sydney informed them both.

"Then that is how we will make it appear. We will of course be monitoring everything." Mr. Parker concluded.

"Of course." Sydney responded. It was, after all, the Centre.


* * * *


Sydney tapped on the girls' door. Stacey answered quickly and put her finger to her lips and pointed to a sleeping Casey. She motioned for Sydney to follow her into the bathroom. He did so hesitantly.

"I'm glad sis decided to take a nap. I wanted to talk to you without being watched."

"Being watched?"

"Sydney, I know this place has more surveillance that Fort Knox! I can sense that kind of thing. If you and I are going to be working together you are going to have to start telling me the truth."

"What truth is that?"

"I realize telling the truth is a foreign concept around here, but I need to know some things."

"Such as?"

Stacey smiled as she took Sydney's hand. "You could begin by answering four simple questions. First of all, what is the Centre, what is a Pretender, why does the ‘tower' think I might be one, and who the hell is Jarod?"

Sydney sat in stunned silence. "H--how did you know about all that? Who told you?"

"You did. Don't look so shocked. Everyone is so anxious to see what kind of ‘tricks' I can do. So--trick number one. I'm a touch telepath. Actually, I can sometimes read thoughts when I'm in very close proximity to someone."

"Incredible."

"It can be useful at times. Now are you going to answer my questions?"

"I'll try. The Centre really is a kind of think tank. It gets contracts from various agencies and from private corporations and individuals. Sometimes a client wants to find out about a historic event-to see if the world's perception of the event was correct. Others want us to negotiate a peace treaty or set up a peace accord. Others want to know what really happened in a relative's death--was is an accident, and if so what caused it; was is murder, and if so, who did it. The Centre also does scientific research-- chemical and biological. There are probably many other endeavors I know nothing about."

"Thank you Sydney."

Sydney continued. "Pretenders are geniuses that can assume another personality-- to actually become another person for a while. The Tower thinks because of your high IQ and because your parents isolated you, that you and Casey might be pretenders. Jarod was the best pretender the Centre ever had. I worked with him from the time he was four years old. He became very special to me."

"I know he is. He's in your thoughts constantly! You worry about him and are concerned that he hasn't contacted you lately. I thought maybe he was your estranged son."

"Estranged--yes. Son, no. Something like a son, actually. He's the closest to a son that I will ever have. He'll sure never see me as anything like a father." Sydney explained, looking quite sad.

"He might surprise you. You never know what another is feeling. I hate to disappoint everyone but I'm not a pretender. I don't even like acting! Now Casey, she might have had some potential there. She was always, well, pretending to be something or another when we were little. I'd play along at whatever part she assigned me, but I wasn't that good at it and I never enjoyed it."

"When did Casey symptoms first appear?"

"Shortly after our thirteenth birthday. It was like she became another person overnight."

"Did your parents take her to doctors?"

"They had the top medical and psychiatric professionals brought in from all over the Untied States, Europe and Russia! Most of them diagnosed schizophrenia, but not all agreed. Her symptoms are so erratic. None of the treatment worked either, because she's allergic to most of the drug used to combat chemical and psychiatric disorders. Two of them almost killed her and others make her sick. Experimental drugs and therapy was tried.

My sister went through test after test after test, treatment after treatment, for two years. My parents and I finally decided enough was enough. We just let her be. She is rarely destructive and I can always reach her on some level"

"Thank you for sharing that with me. I do hope we can continue to be honest with each other."

"I hope so too, Sydney. I'm going to start working on my conditions for working here. I know the contract with Parker won't be real, but I'll pretend I think it is. Hey-- maybe I have some talent in that area after all."

They were both smiling as they exited the bathroom. Sydney said his good-byes and left for the night. Stacey began writing her demands on a yellow legal pad.


* * * *


The next day, Carlos delivered breakfast to the twins.

"Did they assign you to be our personal servant?" Stacey teased him.

"More like a bodyguard. I'm assigned to you during the day. George is assigned to you at night. Kyland Pierce will guard Casey during the day, with Brigetta Lane doing night shift."

"Gee, I was kidding! I really don't need a guard of any kind. I'm more than capable of taking care of myself and my sister."

Carlos looked down.

"Don't worry, Carlos! I won't complain. You're a nice man and I wouldn't want you to get into trouble with your boss."

"Thanks." he replied, smiling at her.

"Um--do you do dog duty also?" she asked.

Carlos beamed. "Nope. Dalton and Jenkins will share that little job. They're the new guy on the block, so to speak."

"I understand completely." Stacey told him and returned to her room.

The girls spent the rest of the morning listening to quiet music and reading. Casey read a romance novel while Stacey chose a horror story.

A few minutes prior to the time the meeting with Mr. Parker was scheduled, Carlos knocked on the door.

"Stacey, it's time for me to escort you to Mr. Parker's office."

"I thought Sydney would be here."

"I don't know where Sydney is."

"Sydney is right here." said Sydney as he strode toward them.

Stacey smiled at him and took his arm. The yellow pad was under her arm.


* * * *


Stacey wasted no time, handing the pad to Parker immediately. He read the list aloud.

1.Casey and I will have separate rooms furnished with our own belongings, including all our music equipment, our televisions and our VCRs. 2.Casey and I will leave the Centre any time we wish, with whatever escort or escorts we with, for whatever reason we wish. 3. Casey and I will be taken to ride our horses every Saturday. 4. I will work for Sydney only. 5. I will not work on any project that might be used to hurt another living being. 6.There will be no surveillance and no locks on our rooms. 7.The contract will be for four months, renewable in four month increments.

"That's quite a list of demand, little lady." Mr. Parker finally commented.

"Take it or leave it."

"I accept it. I'll have your contract ready to sign within the hour." He extended his hand.

Ignoring his hand for the second time, she turned to Sydney. "Looks like we start work tomorrow morning."

The girls spent the rest of the day relaxing and the Centre spent the rest of the day and part of the next preparing to accommodate Stacey's demands.

Stacey did as she said she would. She signed the contract as soon as it was presented to her and she went with Carlos to Sydney's office first thing the next day.

"Good morning Sydney."

"Good morning, Stacey."

Syd turned toward her and almost gasped out loud. She was wearing a dress--a short, tight dress.

"What is my assignment for today?" she wondered.

"They want you to take some tests--IQ tests, aptitude tests, that sort of thing."

"Oh, how exciting." She said humorlessly. "Been there, done that."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, it's all right. Let's get it over with."

Sydney led her to a testing room and gave her a thick packet.

"You have four hours to complete this."

"Piece of cake."

Sydney, Miss Parker and Broots observed her on one monitor as Mr. Parker and Mr.Raines observed from his office.

In a little under two hours she was finished. She stood and began to stretch. Suddenly, Broots cried, "How'd he get in there?"

Everyone looked back at the monitor. Angelo was standing in front of Stacey.

Sydney started to head for the room, but Miss Parker stopped him.

"Hold on, Syd. Let's see what happens."

Stacey smiled at Angelo and extended her hand." Hello, I'm Stacey Winslow."

Angelo took her hand hesitantly.

"What's your name?" she asked.

Angelo just stared for several seconds. Stacey put both of her hands on his.

"Angelo." he finally said.

"Glad to meet you Angelo. Do you work here?"

Angelo giggled. "Yes. Work here."

"Me too. I just started." she informed him, releasing his hand.

"Hope you like it here." Angelo said very softly then turned to leave.

"Thank you, Angelo. I hope to see more of you. " She couldn't see the huge grin on his face as he exited.


* * * *


"I'm not believing this!" Broots exclaimed.

"Cousin It talks. Amazing." Miss Parker added.

Sydney, too, was quite surprised. Stacey seemed to have a very positive effect on Angelo. He hoped Parker and Raines would see it that way also.


* * * *


Sydney entered the test room and collected Stacey's completed test.

"Do you need a break, or would you like to start on the next stack?"

"Ohh-what a slave driver!" she chided, kidding him.

"We can break as long as you need."

Stacey sat back down and began to shake her shoulders. "Sydney, I've a cramp in my left shoulder. See if you can massage it out." She lifted her long hair.

Sydney began to massage the shoulder in question. His had brushed against a chain, and he noticed her necklace for the first time. It was a flat silver rectangle with colored stones in a circular pattern.

"Interesting necklace." he commented.

"Casey has one just like it. They were put on us a birth. Look at the chain--it's solid. The necklaces can't be removed without cutting them off."

Sydney examined the chain and looked at the stones again.

"Do the stones have any significance?"

"I'm sure they do, but my parents never got around to telling me what it was." She held her head down at mentioning her parents.

Syd put his other hand on her other shoulder and squeezed both shoulders lightly.

"I'm sorry about your parents, Stacey. If you ever want to talk.."

"That won't be necessary. I'm dealing with it. I'm not a little girl."

"I know that. How about Casey?"

"If she needs help she'll turn to me. She reacted very badly at first--she screamed for five straight hours. The sedatives the doctors gave her didn't phase her. I joined her the last hour. Screaming is very cathartic."

"I'll always be ready to listen if either of you change your minds."

"I appreciate your concern, Sydney. The shoulder is fine now, let's get on with the tests."

Stacey finished the aptitude tests in record time. Syd went in to collect them.

"We didn't break for lunch. Let's go the cafeteria and get some." he suggested.

"Sounds great."