Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 60


The case is moving with double speed


Jarod strolled into the hotel room. Parker looked up at him. She had been trying to concentrate on a book but as it turned out, her mind just didn’t focus on the words. It kept moving back to their mission and nearly as often as that, it kept moving to Jarod.

She had stayed in the hotel while Jarod met with his other agency contacts. They had agreed that it would be best if Parker stayed behind for the agents would have a look at the evidence right away and have other people working on getting more. With luck they wouldn’t get the connection between Parker and the Centre’s key players but if not, they might have gotten themselves in problems before everything was started.

Jarod didn’t want that to happen and had asked her to stay away from the agencies.

“Hey, there you are. That took quite a while,” she called out to him and got up from her seat to give him a hug.

Jarod breathed deeply.

“Is everything ok?” She asked.

“Yeah, yeah, everything is fine. It went somewhat better that I anticipated. They are all in the game,” he answered tiredly.

“Not only the FBI?”

He shook his head and then straightened. “We will have to inform the others.”

Parker smiled. “Let me give you a kiss first,” she murmured and stretched up to him.

Jarod grinned and returned the kiss. “Parker, we have to alter the plans,” he said.

She looked up and frowned. “In what way?” she asked suspiciously.

“We won’t head back to Canada now. I know that we planed on going up to wait until the authorities got their troops together,” he stated, tilting his head to the side.

“And what changed the plan?”

“Nothing. We just won’t have the time to head back up and then down again,” he explained and then started grinning.

“You mean…? They will act right away?” Parker’s eyebrows climbed up her forehead. Incredulity coloured her features.

Jarod nodded.

“How soon?” She gasped and put her hands on his chest to steady herself.

“Tomorrow night,” Jarod replied. “The agencies already communicated with each other. I was with Danny and his people when the first call came. The others followed shortly afterwards. Right now they are trying to pursue the troops in the other countries to act at the same time so that we will also be able to shut down the subsidiary companies. Danny said that this won’t be a problem because they already got the first calls from there as well just before I left.”

Parker gasped once more and her hand flew to her mouth. “Then everything will be over tomorrow night?”

“Yes. The end is in sight. Everything will be over soon,” he hugged her when she let out a short whoop of joy.

“Then we better call Canada,” she suggested, her face buried in his chest.

“No, we can only send them an email. You know that we agreed upon telephone communication silence. We are too close to Blue Cove”, Jarod gently reminded her.

Parker nodded, remembering the agreement. “Yeah, you’re right,” she paused and gnawed on her lip. “Jaaar?”

Jarod crooked his head at the tone of her voice and grinned. “What do you want?” He teased, his voice gentle.

“I would like to call someone… to warn him,” she mumbled.

Narrowing his eyes, Jarod asked, “Whom?”

“Sam,” she said silently and evaded his eyes.

“The same Sam that was your personal sweeper?” He asked suspiciously.

Parker only nodded and Jarod observed her quietly. “He is important to you,” he stated.

“Yes, he is. He risked his life for mine several times and he was always loyal to me,” she remembered and looked at Jarod earnestly.

“You think that you can still trust him?” Jarod questioned.

“Yeah,” she nodded without hesitation.

“Only a short call. Nothing too long and don’t tell him where we are! Tell him not to come to work anymore but nothing more, ok?” Jarod said. He got his cell phone out of his jacket and walked over to his bag to search for a scrambler. It had been mere habit, from long years of being on the run, to take it with him and now he was glad that he had it within easy reach.

“Understood. That has to do it then,” Parker sighed and took the cell phone out of his outstretched hand. She dialled the number from memory. It didn’t take long before the call was picked up.

“Sam… yes, it’s me… yeah, yeah I am ok… Sam, listen… Agh, shut up and listen. I can’t talk very long and I can’t tell you much. But I need you to listen closely. I don’t want you to go to work tomorrow… No; not tomorrow and not the day after. Listen. I’m taking a huge risk to inform you but I want you safe”, she said and when she saw Jarod signalling her to end the conversation, she added, “Don’t go to work, Sam. Take care,” she ended the call.

Jarod nodded and drew her into an embrace. “It will be over tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” she sighed and leaned into him. “How about we celebrate?”

Jarod chuckled and bent down to capture her lips. “Any particular ideas; any interests?”

“Yes,” she whispered against his lips. “You!”

Jarod chuckled deeply. “I think that can be arranged.”

~~~~~~~

“Listen everyone,” Jay called when he entered the living room.

The whole ‘family’ was gathered there and everybody looked up at Jay expectantly.

“We just received mail from Jarod and Melina. They won’t come back tomorrow. They said that it will be at least another two days before they arrive. Obviously the agencies take this very seriously and they want to act as soon as possible,” Jay announced.

“How soon?” Sydney spoke up.

Jay turned towards Jarod’s old mentor. “Tomorrow night!”

The people in the room were silent. Everyone swallowed.

“What?” Emily breathed.

Jay smiled at her. “I had to digest this as well. Jarod and Melina wrote that the agencies put the case on the top of the list. The communication has already taken place and they want to act tomorrow. Jarod and Melina will move towards Blue Cove at once to stick close before the raid begins.”

“Wow. The agencies are very quick with it,” Broots said and drew Debbie into a hug. “Everything will be over soon,” he stated as well to his daughter as to the other people in the room.

~~~~~~~

Jarod unlocked the door and pushed it open, letting Parker enter the room first. He pattered the wall besides the door to find the light switch. When he finally found it, the room lightened up.

Parker quirked an eyebrow and Jarod smirked at her face.

“I told you it would be rather dusty but once we get the covers from the furniture, it will look very different. Trust me, this is not that bad a place to stay in,” he chuckled.

Shrugging her shoulders, she stepped further into the room to put her bag down.

Jarod copied her movements and then went over to remove the covers from the furnishings.

They had left Washington a few hours ago. Jarod had flown them from Washington to a small airstrip near Dover. He had used that airstrip several times during the hunt. Parker had only scoffed when he had informed her about that small detail.

They had just entered an old lair of his in Blue Cove; a lair that he had also used several times. They were safe for the time being.

They had agreed on coming here rather than taking a hotel room. The Centre was very watchful these days and they didn’t want to take any chances.

Jarod and Parker wanted to stay here until tomorrow evening when the raid would take place. Parker would stay behind, just as they had already agreed upon while still in Canada, whereas Jarod would join the agents on the scene before the raid was started. He had had to fight quite a battle with the agents until they finally relented and allowed him to join them but in the end they didn’t have anything to keep him from it.

Jarod would wait for Angelo to turn up and then head back to Parker the moment Angelo was with him.

After that they would leave Blue Cove at once and move back to Canada.

“Well, it’s quite ok here,” Parker smirked with a quirked eyebrow, effectively rousing Jarod from his thoughts. She still held one of the covers in her hands and turned to get a better look on the room.

Jarod crooked his head to his side and advanced on Parker. “Quite ok?” he challenged, getting a hold on her.

“Maybe not that bad,” she teased again, wrinkling her nose theatrically.

He narrowed his eyes in mock anger. “Not bad, huh?”

She grinned and then suddenly moved out of his grasp. “Yeah, not that bad.”

Jarod chuckled heartily and shook his head. He extended his hand to her and drew her to him when she laid hers in it. He dropped a kiss on her forehead and she snuggled close to him. Jarod scooped her up in his arms and walked over to the couch.

Sitting down, he took Parker with him so that she now sat on his lap. Jarod gently stroked the back of her head while she leaned into him.

They were drawing strength from each other; strength they both knew would be needed for hours to come.


To be continued…