Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 6


Choices


“I think it’s time for the Centre to go down!” she said determined.

Jarod stared at her. He knew she really meant it. Otherwise her eyes wouldn’t look as if they were on fire. Her eyes…

He lost himself in these pools of stunning blue. He felt himself being drawn deeper and deeper into them. They were just too mesmerizing.

“Well?” Parker asked him carefully noticing his far-away expression.

Jarod snapped out of his trance. He squeezed his eyes shut briefly and shook his head.

“Let’s do it!” he said as determined as she was, giving her a court nod.

When she saw that he, too, meant it, she smiled.

“We better start plotting!” she declared.

“Ok. You’re right,” he agreed, his mind already spinning about the possibilities.

“Well, what do we know and what do we still have to find out?” she started.

“I dare say that the ‘what do we still need to find out’-part is going to be pretty gigantic compared to the ‘what do we know’-one,” he said.

“Brilliant, Sherlock,“ she huffed.

“Sorry. Let’s start with the letter and what we know already!”

She once more started to read the letter only to be interrupted by Jarod.

“We know or knew even before this letter, that your mother had a secret plan. What this one was about, we didn’t know. Until now. Ok, we still don’t know what exactly her plan is but I guess it is about the destruction of the Centre,“ he paused to look at her. When she didn’t interrupt or argue he went on. “She apparently made a DSA explaining that plan of hers.” He stopped once more.

“Yes and it is obviously important that we find the Scrolls because she said unless we find them we wouldn’t be able to “understand our parts in her plan,” she recited. Looking up from the letter sighed. “The thing is just that Mr. Parker jumped out of the plane with them. They are probably still floating somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean,“ she said resigned. “Great. I think this it what one would call a dead end.”

“Hey. That’s no reason to give up. We were presented so many obstacles in our life and this is just another one of them. Plus I might be wrong but I think that this won’t be the last one we are about to come across.”

“Yeah, you’re right. It’s just that I feel as if I’m standing in front of a huge wall that is getting bigger by the moment,“ she huffed again.

“I know what you mean but have faith. We’re going to work through this. You know, Sydney always told me that one could do everything one set his mind to,“ Jarod replied slowly.

“That may work for you. You are a pretender, Jarod. A genius who can become anyone that he wants to be. That’s the reason why the Centre wants you back in their little cage so badly,” she retorted.

“Don’t underestimate yourself, Parker! First of all you are pretty good at having things your way. Second, I have seen you do things other people would never have accomplished and third, you have the pretender gene, too,” he pointed out looking at her.

She got up from her seat on the couch and went over to the window. Hugging herself she stared through the glass.

It was dark outside. The world seemed to consist of shadows only. One could vaguely recognize the tree that stood a few yards away but anything else was just slightly darker than the object next to it and the other way round. The moon was overcast by clouds racing above the sky.

Jarod stood up and went over to her. She seemed lost and he knew she was fighting to keep up with the sudden turn her life was about to take.

When she felt Jarod’s presence next to her she sighed and let her head drop.

He reached out and drew a stray of hair out of her face. Gently cupping her cheek he drew her face up so she was looking at him.

“Hey. You are not about to regret your choice, are you?” he asked quietly. “You have to be certain that you want to do this to be able to succeed. If you are not, we can still go back to status quo.”

“No, we can’t and you know it,“ she answered.

She straightened and drew a deep breath.

“Let’s do it!” she repeated his earlier statement.

Jarod had just given her the opportunity to back away from her former decision. He had given her the power to choose.

She suddenly noticed that she had needed that free choice to go on. All her life things were decided for her: where she went to school, what she had to do, what she had to believe, even whom she was to date. The moment she revolted against that by dating Thomas, the Centre stepped in and punished her for it.

This time Jarod had given her card Blanche so to speak. He had given her the opportunity to choose for herself. And she had chosen. She chose for herself where she wanted to go from here.

She chose the betrayal of the Centre.

Hopefully it wouldn’t result in another disaster.

“Thanks,” she said.

“What for?” Jarod questioned.

“For letting me choose where to go from here,“ she replied seriously.

He smiled slightly and gave her a reassuring nod.

“What do you think, shall we eat something before we continue plotting our moves?” he asked.

“Ok, but I guess we will have to improvise to get something resembling dinner. I don’t have much in the kitchen to go with,“ she announced. “You know I’m not good at cooking!” She grinned.

He chuckled slightly.

“We’ll find a way to survive,” he assured her.

“Good,” she shook her head, still grinning.

“Let’s see what we can find to keep ourselves from starving,” Jarod said, already starting to head for the kitchen.

Parker watched him vanish into the kitchen. Soon she heard him rummaging.
Suddenly he poked his head through the door.

“You coming?” he asked, a questioning expression on his face.


To be continued…