Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 57


Sorting through problems


Jarod stretched and took a sip from his coffee. He had been working on the rest of the evidence they intended to hand over. He had searched through his own archive of data and picked out some of the files that they would hand over to the authorities. If push came to shove there was even more that they could give to them to support what they would hand over now.

Next to Jarod, Broots still typed in some commands in his keyboard. Jay was scanning the contents of their virus-program on his screen once more.

Just then, Broots and Jay simultaneously leaned back and both sighed.

Jarod looked from his left to right and grinned. He quirked and eyebrow, “Ready?”

Broots nodded and Jay let out a short “Yep”.

“Wow, you are fast. I didn’t think that we would be ready that quickly,” Jarod said approvingly.

Jay grinned sheepishly. ”Geniuses at work.”

All three men laughed at that comment.

“Hey, you are pretty relaxed down here. I didn’t expect you to be laughing when I came,” Ethan called nonchalantly behind them.

The trio turned and saw Ethan standing in the door, leaning casually against the doorframe.

“We just finished,” Jay explained.

Ethan blinked surprised.

“Yeah, we were a bit surprised ourselves,” Jarod caught his brother’s expression.

“Well, then my expertise obviously isn’t needed anymore,” Ethan shrugged theatrical, grinning widely.

“Sorry, we will give you some extra time on the next job,” Broots quipped and everyone started laughing again. The tech had long since shredded the nervous persona he had been as a Centre employee. Now he was a welcomed and also well respected member of the whole team.

“Well then, when do we send that little beast over to the Centre?” Ethan asked.

“As soon as we have been able to double check it.” Jarod stated and Jay and Broots nodded in agreement.

“Ok, let me help you guys at least with that,” Ethan offered.

~~~~~~~

Walking out of the door leading to the basement, Jarod stretched once again and walked over to the living room.

He had just sent Angelo the sleeping virus program. Angelo would have to activate it once he had copied it into the Centre’s main computer. So they would have to wait now. Until they got confirmation from Angelo that the virus was implanted they wouldn’t take any more steps. And even after receiving the confirmation from Angelo, they would have to wait a little longer before they were able to take the next steps.

They had calculated that the virus would need about two days before the whole system was infected and the holes in the data were big enough so that they could get the authorities into the case. Until then, they would have to wait.

And then, depending on how soon the different agencies communicated and joined forces, it would take up to a week to shut down the Centre.

Jarod slowly sauntered over to the huge window. It was already dark outside but the moon was gently illuminating the scene around the house. The lake’s surface one could oversee during the day shimmered and reflected some light. Small waves could be seen rolling toward the shore.

Jarod walked out the backdoor and sat down on the porch. Inhaling the scent of nature around him deeply, he sighed with contentment.

This was freedom. Sitting outside in the dark, watching the shadows move under a gentle breeze, listening to all kind of creatures, the whistle of the wind and the shuffling sound the leaves made when moved against each other by the wind.

And to top all this, there were soft sounds coming from the inside of his home, where the people he loved most were together.

Again, Jarod sighed when he realized that he hadn’t felt this content and relaxed in a long time, if ever. With the situation between Parker and himself cleared and open now, he was slowly coming to terms with what had happened in the short time since they had joined forces after he had given her the letter.

The screen door behind him creaked silently and there were soft footsteps coming toward him. He half-turned to see who had joined him on the porch.

Emily sat down next to her older brother. Jarod silently watched her. They hadn’t been able to talk much since they had first come here.

He knew that she still wasn’t all that pleased with the situation and the way things were developing.

“So tell me, what it is with you and Miss Parker,” Emily finally started after contemplating how to approach her brother.

Jarod inwardly groaned. He was neither prepared for nor looking forward to another argument. Secretly he had hoped that the arguments lay past them since his father had acknowledged and approve of Parker’s and his relationship.

“Em…,” Jarod moaned.

“Tell me. Are the two of you together?” Emily insisted on knowing.

“It is clearly not that easy,” Jarod replied.

“Then tell me,” Emily pleaded. “I don’t understand all this. I am really trying but I can’t grasp it. How can she take such an important part in you heart when they hunted you down like an animal for years? Please, Jarod. I want to understand what is going on inside of you. I’m not trying to judge what you are doing anymore. I think Dad gave that up after he talked with Miss Parker and… I know that I acted rather hostile towards them,” she sighed, clearly frustrated. “I want to understand and to learn more about them. Maybe then I will be able to fully grasp the situation.”

Jarod stared at his sister. She was trying to comprehend his feelings and situation; that definitely ‘was’ an improvement. He was yet again surprised by a person close to him. Emily looked up at her brother with a pleading face.

“There is so much between them and me,” Jarod started and then shook his head. “There is no way I can explain it all to you. Half of the time I am astonished at the complexity of our relationship myself.” Jarod paused and looked away, facing the lake down in the valley.

“Please try it, for me,” Emily asked silently, watching her brother.

Jarod nodded, still not facing her again. “I have known Sydney and Parker all my life. You know the role Sydney played during my time in the Centre. He was my mentor and trainer. But to me, he was more than that,” Jarod smiled sadly. “Though he had to treat me like a science experiment, yet he showed compassion and care for me. He was the only father figure I ever had and the only person I could turn to with my problems. The only person besides…,” he tailed off and stared into the distance unseeingly.

“…her,” Emily finished.

“Yeah,” came the soft reply from Jarod.

“When we were kids, we had a great time. She was… well, she stole my heart the moment I saw her. We would be together whenever it was possible. We would sneak off and through the whole Centre. It was so much fun to be with her. She was easy going and…the light of my day,” Jarod smiled slightly. “Then, after her mother died, her father sent her away to boarding school. I didn’t see her for a long time. After I broke out, she was assigned to hunt me. She was different; cold and uncaring. The complete opposite of how I knew her. Ever since then, I tried to get her to open up to me again. At first, I tried to hide the feelings I knew I had for her but… you know me. I couldn’t,” Jarod said and shook his head slightly with a small smile.

“Hmm,” Emily murmured. “And then?”

“Then?!?” He grunted a laugh. “That went on for six years. I sometimes got through to the real person, the person I knew but she always managed to shut me out again. And then… just a few month back, I found the letter that started all this,” he raised his hands.

Emily had observed her brother’s profile while he spoke. Though his eyes were turned toward the lake, she could see the emotion that ran in them. When he had started talking about her, his face had taken on a faraway look and his features had softened. It was not difficult for her to see the feelings Jarod had for this woman. Though she originally didn’t want to welcome Parker and Co. in the family, she now realized that she didn’t have another chance. And after what Jarod told her about Parker and Sydney she wasn’t sure if she even wanted to shut them out anymore.

“And to answer your former question: Parker and I had a long talk and we acknowledged the feelings we have toward each other. Our friendship improves daily and we don’t want to rush anything. We are in the early stages of a relationship and I do hope that it will improve and grow further,” he said earnestly and looked over to his sister.

“You love her, don’t you?” Emily asked.

“Yes, I do. With all my heart and with all I am,” Jarod answered without hesitation and with much certainty.

Emily was quiet for some time, looking straight ahead onto the lake, like Jarod had done before. She contemplated what he had told her.

“I’m sorry I stood in your way and made everything all that much harder,” she finally whispered.

Jarod crocked his head and looked at her. He smiled slightly and shook his head. “No, Em,” he reached out to cup her cheek in his palm. “No, you have nothing to be sorry for. Your reaction is perfectly understandable. From you experiences with the Centre, no one can blame you for acting the way you did. But I can reassure you, she is nothing like her twin brother. Give her and yourself some time to adjust to the situation and to each other.”

Emily leaned into her brother and put her head on his shoulder. “I’m sorry though,” she murmured.

“Ok, forgiven. Maybe it’s time for all of us to let go and get over the past,” Jarod encircled her with his arm and drew his sister closer.

Emily nodded her head against Jarod’s shoulder. “Ok.”

Jarod sighed contently. Slowly all of the problems in their little group were unravelling themselves. Maybe they could also solve their biggest problem, the dark cloud over all their heads; the shadow behind them. Hopefully they would succeed with their plan and bring down the Centre.


To be continued…