Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 56


Moving on


Ethan lay in his bed silently. Though he hadn’t slept the night before, he was still awake.

There were soft footsteps to be heard, when Parker and Jarod tiptoed through the corridor. Someone bumped into a corner and he could hear Parker swearing softly and then Jarod and she both giggled silently.

Ethan grinned victoriously. They had obviously sorted everything out.

‘Well done, baby boy,’ his mother whispered.

Ethan sighed and closed his eyes.

Maybe the time to come would get a little more quiet.

~~~~~~~

They were in front of the master bedroom when Parker bumped into the wall. She swore silently.

“Shhh, you will wake the whole house,” Jarod whispered and reached for her hand.

“Who was it that said he didn’t care?” she shot back quietly.

They both started snickering. Jarod opened the door and went in. Parker hesitated slightly. Jarod turned and looked at her questioningly.

“Jar, I…,“ she started.

“Shhh,” he put a finger on her lips. “Come on. One step after the other. Nothing you don’t want to will happen,“ he whispered and bent towards her to drop a kiss on her forehead.

She smiled, grateful that she didn’t have to say anything and he knew what she felt and feared nonetheless. This was just so new. She wanted more but at the same time she didn’t want to move it so fast. She stepped into the room behind him. Jarod moved over to the bed and sat down. Parker wandered into the room and over to the window.

“This moves so fast suddenly,“ she wondered loudly when she stood at the window.

Jarod grinned boyishly. He crocked his head to his side and sobered. “I won’t take advantage of you, Parker,“ he repeated. “This is new for me, too. I don’t want to rush and ruin this only because of impatience,“ he said earnestly. “It’s just that I… we have been alone for the most part of our lives. One night doesn’t really make a difference and yet… it does make a difference,“ he looked her in the eye. “Stay with me tonight,” he pleaded.

Parker’s features softened. “I know that you won’t take advantage of me in anyway. Not that you could,” she shot, a mocking superior look on her face.

Jarod growled and got up from the bed. Quickly capturing her from behind, he encircled her with his arms and held her close. He dropped a tail of kisses on Parker’s neck, sending a shiver down her spine.

“Ok, maybe you could if you continue like this,” she rasped.

He grinned, kissing her neck again.

“You made your point clear. I will stay the night,” she said.

He kissed her neck once more, still holding her in his arms.

“And the night after,“ she added, shivering slightly under his touch.

She made Jarod’s smile grow even wider. He tried his luck again and dropped another kiss on her flesh.

Parker drew a shaky breath and crooked her head to the side to give him more access to her flesh. “And the night after that one,” she turned in his arms.

She looked at him lovingly. “I think it was about time we were honest with ourselves,“ she said and then stretched up to kiss him again.

Jarod savoured in the feeling of her in his arms and her lips on his.

~~~~~~~

She breathed deeply and roused somewhat. Her eyes still closed, she sharpened her remaining senses on her surroundings.

Parker smiled when she became aware of the feel of Jarod’s arms around her midsection. Just as he had asked her to do, she had stayed. They had shared the bed, snuggled close to the other one.

Blinking her eyes open, she turned her head towards him. When she stirred slightly in his arms, he unconsciously tightened his hold on her, making Parker’s smile grow.

Parker observed Jarod’s features. He looked so relaxed and peaceful. She stretched and dropped a feather light kiss on his nose.

Jarod snuggled closer to her and a smile formed on his face. He blinked his eyes open and looked at her.

“Morning,“ he rasped, his voice heavy with sleep.

Parker turned in his arms, now fully facing him. “Hi,” she replied, smiling at him. She closed her eyes again and breathed deeply.

Jarod gently caressed her back. “Slept well?” Hhe asked her quietly.

Parker nodded against his chest. “Better than I have in a long time,“ she sighed.

“Me too,” Jarod smiled.

“It’s long past time we started something against the Centre!”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Jarod nodded.

“We will have to get up, don’t we?” Parker looked up at him.

Jarod propped himself up on his elbow and grinned. “Eventually but not right now,” he bent down to capture her lips with his.

~~~~~~~

Parker and Jarod walked down the stairs together. When they entered the kitchen, Ethan, Jay, Sydney and Emily looked up.

Ethan smiled from one ear to the other. Jay looked equally content as Ethan who had filled him into the situation. Sydney quirked an eyebrow, grinning and Emily frowned suspiciously.

“Morning,“ Jarod and Parker both greeted.

“Hey,“ Jay and Ethan replied simultaneously.

“Did you get any further with the virus yesterday?” Jarod asked, walking over to the counter to get some coffee. Parker sat down at the table.

“Yes, we made some progress during your absence,” Jay smirked.

Jarod rolled his eyes at his brother’s statement.

“Broots is already downstairs again and I will join him in a few minutes,“ Jay added, still grinning brightly.

Jarod returned to the table with two mugs of coffee. He handed Parker a mug and then sat down next to her.

Jay got up from his seat and put his dishes into the sink. Walking over to the door, he bent down to Jarod when he passed him. “I think I have to congratulate you, right?” he whispered into his older brother’s ear.

“Get out while you still can,“ Jarod threatened lightly while he grinned back at his brother.

Parker and Sydney chuckled. The rest of breakfast was spent in an easy silence between the people in the room. Sydney and Ethan quietly observed Jarod and Parker and Emily also risked a curious gaze every now and then.

~~~~~~~

“Gotcha!” Broots grinned just as Jarod walked into the computer room.

Jay looked up from his own screen and Jarod went over to Broots.

“I think I just had a major breakthrough!” Broots announced.

Jarod quickly scanned over the contents of Broots’ script and nodded approvingly. “Yeah, right. This should work. Jay, come over here and have a look.”

Jay went to stand besides Jarod and he too quickly looked the page over. “That one is good. I have a few additions but otherwise the structure is real good. They won’t stand the chance to break it,” he supported his brother’s impression.

“What additions?” Jarod asked and also Broots looked up.

“A few things here and there. Come on. I’ll show you,“ Jay said and went back to his terminal.

They looked the things over the young man suggested to add.

“You’re right. With these, there is no real chance to get our virus under control,“ Broots said proudly.

“Ok, but we have to be careful. It must not destroy the whole data, only your names in the files,“ Jarod cautioned. He frowned and then brightened. “Wait, I might have an addition that will ensure this,“ he slapped his hand to his forehead. “I should have thought about that earlier.”

“What addition?” This time it was Jay who asked the question.

Jarod bent over his brother and quickly typed in a few commands. He swiftly navigated through his own savings in the main computer. “Here,” he opened a file. “We will have to modify this one slightly because I already used it once on the Centre’s mainframe once but basically I think we will be able to include it into the virus’ structure,” he explained.

Both Jay and Broots nodded when they looked through the data.

“Can you two get on that? I have to get a look on the rest of the evidence we want to give to the authorities and sort through some other files we can add,“ Jarod asked them.

“Sure, go on,” Broots answered.

“Yeah, the sooner we get this on the way, the earlier it will be over,” Jay agreed.

“Ok, I’ll leave this to you then,“ Jarod straightened and pattered Jay on his shoulder. “I’ll be upstairs.”

~~~~~~~

Jarod sat in front of his DSA player when Parker went into the room. She frowned upon seeing his pale face.

Parker walked up to Jarod who hadn’t noticed her presence up to now. She gently touched his shoulder and he jumped at the contact. In one swift motion, he snapped the player shut in an unconscious movement.

“Melina,” he breathed, trying to get his heart rate back to normal.

“Jar, what is it? Is everything ok?” she asked concerned.

“Yeah, why?” Jarod asked back.

“You’re pretty pale and jumpy,” she observed.

Jarod grimaced and nodded. “Just a bit tense,” he said.

Parker’s gaze drilled into him, unsatisfied. “I already observed that but try again with an explanation,“ she replied and quirked an eyebrow.

“It’s not always easy to sort through these,“ Jarod swallowed and pointed towards the DSA player. “They are mostly no good memories.”

Parker nodded sympathetic. “What exactly are you doing?”

“Look at which one we can use as evidence as well. They will make the mountain of evidence weight even heavier,“ Jarod explained.

“You are looking for the ones without Sydney on them, right?” she asked.

Jarod nodded. “Yeah, I am. Unfortunately these are mostly the worst of them all,“ he swallowed again.

Parker sat down next to him and gently drew him over to her to hug him. Jarod let himself being pulled into her embrace gratefully. He breathed in her scent deeply. “Thanks,” he mumbled quietly, his head still leaned onto her shoulder.

“You’re welcome,” she whispered back.

Jarod raised his head and looked at her. Their gazes met and simultaneously they both bent over, their lips meeting halfway.

Suddenly, Major Charles cleared his throat behind them.

Jarod and Parker broke apart, startled. They both grimaced and turned toward Jarod’s father with guilty looks on their faces.

“Dad. We didn’t hear you come in,” Jarod said.

“That was quite obvious,” the Major chuckled. He winked at them. “Jay asked me to get you down to the basement. There is something they need your help with,“ Charles said.

Jarod got up. He moved past the Major without meeting his eye. “Jarod,“ Charles grabbed his hand and halted his son’s movements.

Jarod turned but still evaded the Major’s eyes.

“Could you please wipe that guilty expression from your face? That applies to you, too Miss Parker. You should finally get happy together,“ he grumbled easily.

Jarod and Parker’s heads snapped over toward the older man’s face.

“What? Don’t look at me like that. I have eyes in my head and this had to happen sooner or later. I just didn’t think it would be ‘that’ soon,“ Jarod’s father grinned.

Jarod and Parker exchanged a look. “Thanks, Dad.”

“Go on, get your ass down to Jay and Broots,” his father commanded.

Jarod grinned and vanished out the door.

Major Charles went over to where Parker sat and gently smiled down at her. Parker still had a guilty expression on her face.

“I told you to wipe that off of your face, didn’t I?” The Major smiled.

Parker chuckled. “Yeah, you did but I still feel like a teenager caught in the act by the father.”

Major Charles joined her laughter. “How long has this been going?”

Parker shrugged. “Since last night,” she finally answered. Seeing the slightly puzzled face, she explained. “We always had secret feelings for the other one but neither could or was allowed to admit them. We talked rather long yesterday and… well, we acknowledged our feelings. We will see where things are going from here.”

The Major nodded. “If that’s what you both want, and from the look on your faces it is…,“ he smiled and raised his hands.

“Thank you Major,“ Parker said earnestly.

“No, first you don’t have to thank me but I have to thank you. You made me see some things and I have to be grateful that you did otherwise I might have lost my son again. And second, stop calling me Major, please. Charles is perfectly good,” Jarod’s father said.

Parker nodded. “Ok,… Charles. Then ‘Miss Parker’ is out, too! It’s Melina,” she extended her hand which the Major shook firmly.

“Welcome to the family, Melina!” he stated.

Parker swallowed and blinked. They had just called out a truce. She had been accepted into the family. Hopefully the arguments would cease from now on, too.


To be continued…