Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 55


Realizations and confessions


Dinner was fairly quiet. The atmosphere was somewhat better and there wasn’t as much tension between Jarod and Parker as had been the rest of the day.

Both Jarod and Parker were sealing sideways glances at the other one when they thought that no one watched. They appeared to be much calmer after the single talks with Ethan.

In meantime the Major had made peace with Parker. They got along better now.

Slowly everyone was getting up and taking the dishes over to the sink.

When Jarod came back, he stopped behind Parker and bent down. He whispered something into her ear and she nodded.

Only seconds later, she got up from her seat. Jarod had already taken her dishes and returned them to the sink. When he got back to her, they looked at each other and then both turned toward the door simultaneously and walked out of the room.

Most of the people looked at their retreating forms in bewilderment but Ethan just smiled slightly.

“Don’t worry about them. They have some more things to sort through,” he announced when the front door closed silently behind his siblings.

Sydney looked at Ethan and frowned. When Ethan sensed his gaze, he looked over to the older man.

Seeing the slight frown, he grinned even wider and wiggled his eyebrows, effectively confirming Sydney’s suspicions.

~~~~~~~

Parker and Jarod reached the shore about twenty minutes later. The sun still stood above the horizon and was slowly making its way down, while sending all kinds of colours over the sky.

They sat down on the soft sand just the way they had done the day before, sitting side by side and watching the water.

Watching the sunset, they kept silent for some more minutes but it soon became unbearable for them.

“Jar…”

“Mel…,” they both started at the same time.

They both grinned. “You first,“ Jarod gestured for her to begin.

“Jar…,” she hesitated. “This morning in the kitchen, I mean… was that…,” she paused. “Did you mean it?” She finally asked outright.

Jarod’s eyebrows rose high on his forehead. “The kiss?” he asked incredulously.

Parker grimaced and nodded uncertainly.

“Yes, of course I did mean it,” Jarod clarified silently.

“You did?” she asked again.

Jarod’s features softened. “God, yes. Mel. I… I wanted to tell you before but…,” he started and then broke of.

“What?” she asked quietly.

“I always waited for the perfect moment. Until now – I hadn’t found it. Maybe now it is. I…,“ he breathed and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they seemed to be even darker than usual. “I love you,” he whispered.

“You… what?” she asked again disbelievingly.

“I love you; I always wanted to tell you. Ever since I laid eyes on you, you had my heart captured. I tried to repress that feeling and… well, it worked… until Carthis,“ he sighed.

Parker looked at him in bewilderment.

“Since then, I couldn’t convince myself of the opposite any longer. But then we started this,” he gestured around with his arms, “and… well, there was never really the time to tell you. We were nearly constantly in danger and… I was afraid,“ he finally admitted and dropped his head slightly, evading her eyes.

He heard Parker gasp for air.

She had silently hoped that he would return her feelings but this was… much more than she had ever dared to hope for.

She reached out to him and drew his chin up. Their gazes met. His eyes reflected his vulnerability. He was afraid, afraid of her rejection.

Her hand travelled upwards and she cupped his cheek. Stroking it with her thumb, she bent towards him.

“God Jar, I love you, too”,, she whispered.

Now it was Jarod’s time to be taken aback slightly. He didn’t move out of her grasp but shrank back somewhat nonetheless. He looked at her, his eyes searching her soul.

He was still afraid of her rejection but there was hope forming in his heart. Parker could see the thoughts racing through his eyes.

She calmly returned his gazed, lying as much certainty and honesty in her gaze as she possibly could.

He breathed shakily when reality began to sink in.

Parker leaned in toward him further so that their heads were only inches apart.

His lips hovered over hers. She stretched up a little bit but before their lips met, she once more whispered “I love you,” against his.

His smile widened at the confirmation of her former statement. Parker leaned into him even more and finally made contact.

She closed her eyes when their lips finally met.

Jarod encircled her gently with his arms and drew a hand up and down her back.

They broke apart only moments later but their heads remained close to each other.

Making eye contact once more, Jarod leaned in again but then stopped. His eyes searched hers for permission.

Parker smiled gently at his hesitancy and signalled him to go on with her eyes. He bent down further and tenderly kissed his old friend yet again.

“I love you, you know that boy genius,“ she said after breaking apart once more, tenderly teasing him with the name. The tone of her voice betrayed the words that had once been an insult.

“I had given up all hope that I would hear you say that one day,” Jarod admitted.

She raised an eyebrow. “Maybe we are in for a change, don’t you think?” she stated earnestly. “It’s time to admit our feelings.”

He smiled down at her.

They still held eye contact. The last light of the sun was reflected in Jarod’s eyes.

Parker finally broke the contact and leaned into Jarod. He wordlessly drew her close to him. She turned silently in his embrace and snuggled even closer.

They were watching the sunset without speaking, both revealing in the feeling of the person they had just admitted their most intimate feelings to.

Together they stayed there for some time. The sun had long since vanished behind the horizon when Parker looked up at Jarod.

He met her gaze.

”And what now?” she asked silently.

He merely shrugged his shoulders. “What?”

“I mean, your family…,“ she started.

“What is it with them?” he asked back.

“Well, they won’t exactly be excited,” she objected.

“So what?” Jarod shrugged his shoulders again. “They will have to cope with it. I don’t care. As long as I have you with me I don’t care about anything,“ he smiled and bent down to capture her lips once more.

She grinned. “But your father,“ she started once more when Jarod drew back again.

“Don’t care,” he repeated. “And by the way, I have the distinct feeling that he won’t be that angry or shocked. He grew to like you,“ Jarod told her.

Parker frowned in doubt but Jarod just grinned.

“Yeah, I think he has. Didn’t you notice the way he tried to defend you when I suggested that we won’t delete your data from the record?” he reminded her.

“That was just curiosity as to why you would suggest anything stupid like that,“ Parker waved dismissively and grinned.

“Oh no,“ Jarod grinned back and shook his head. “Just wait. As for the other people…,“ he smiled.

“Maybe Emily,“ Parker objected again.

Jarod shook his head again. “Maybe. Jay and Ethan won’t be a problem.”

“No, Ethan definitely won’t be a problem,” Parker said. “He already knows.”

Jarod frowned at her in mild suspicion.

“Yeah, well. I talked to him, or rather he talked some sense in me,“ she admitted.

“Conspirator,“ Jarod grumbled light-heartedly and then started laughing softly.

“What?” Parker frowned.

“He also talked to me. He obviously tried to make the link click,“ Jarod chuckled.

Parker joined his soft laughter. “Just wait until we are back, little brother,“ she ‘threatened’, while grinning from ear to ear. “It must have been pretty obvious.”

Jarod grinned. “Yeah, it would seem so,“ he replied and then sobered.

Parker crocked her head and smiled at him.

“You are so damn beautiful,“ he whispered and bent down to capture her lips again.

“You think it’s time to head back up?” Parker half suggested half asked.

“They can wait,“ Jarod winked.

“They will be worried,” Parker tried again.

“Knowing our brother, he has everything firmly in his hands until we get back,” Jarod replied and they both started chuckling once more.

“Well then, I’m fairly content here,“ Parker murmured, stretching up for yet another kiss.

“That’s good. Can I do anything to make you feel even better?” Jarod asked her softly.

“Just stay with me and keep me in your arms,” she responded. “Oh, and every once in a while you can give me a kiss or two.”

Jarod smiled. “It will be a pleasure to do that,” he whispered into her ear and kissed her neck.

They sat quietly on the beach, Parker now stretched out between Jarod’s legs with her back to his chest and his chin on her shoulder.

Both had content smiles on their faces as they watched the full moon rise above the horizon. It was gently illuminating the lake and the area around them.

The rise seemed to announce a new beginning for both of them. A new step in their relationship; a step for the better.


To be continued…

Good God, people this got pretty sappy. Sorry but this just had to happen sooner or later. It took me (or Jarod and Parker) rather long to get there and now that we reached this point, I just couldn’t keep myself from this chapter. But believe me, I could have made it even sappier (does this word even exist? Well who knows and who cares). What I mean is that I had some more ideas but I acknowledged that these ideas would overdo it and you probably had to puke over the clichés #smile#.
Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter.
If you do (and also if you didn’t) leave a review please.