Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 53


Making new plans


“Well?” Sydney asked Jarod once they were all seated in the living room.

“What are we going to do?” Jay asked.

Jarod smiled slyly. “As I said, I have a few ideas but what exactly we make out of them will have to be discussed. First, to get this all moving, I will get the evidence to several friends of mine. They are working for the big agencies. CIA, FBI, pick whatever you want. The evidence to the right persons hands, some phone calls and then we will have to wait,“ Jarod said plainly.

“Sounds too easy,“ the Major objected.

“We won’t be anywhere near the Centre when the raid starts?” Jay asked somewhat disappointed.

Jarod looked down slightly. “No, we won’t. I don’t want anyone of us in danger.”

Parker frowned suspiciously. His demeanour had changed slightly. He was hiding something. Before she could inquire further on that topic, Broots spoke up.

”What danger, Jarod? Once the authorities are there, the Centre people can’t do much harm, now can they?” Broots frowned.

Jarod turned toward the tech and shook his head slightly. “Never underestimate them! People can become vicious animals when pushed into a corner.”

The room fell into silence.

“Who are these friends of yours? Can they be trusted?” The Major asked.

Jarod nodded without hesitance. “Yes, they can. I’m sure of that.”

“How do we get the evidence there?” Emily addressed her brother.

Shrugging, Jarod replied. “It won’t fly to them alone, that’s for certain. You will stay here. It will be best when I give it to my friends personally.”

“Don’t you dare trying to pull this off alone,” Parker growled.

Jarod’s head shot up and he looked at Parker but refused to make eye contact. The atmosphere between them was still somewhat tense and awkward.

“You will not do this alone. We are in this together, remember?” she clarified.

Jarod raised his hands in surrender. “Ok, feel free to join me.”

“And after that?” Sydney asked.

“We will come back here and wait. Let the agencies do their job. The evidence is foul proof. The Centre won’t be able to do much against it,“ Jarod went on.

“Yes, ok. But when the Centre is finally down, how will everything go on then? And what exactly are we going to do,” Emily pressed.

“We will have to determine that now or in the near future because we will have to arrange some things before we get the authorities into the picture,“ Jarod paused. “It depends on anyone of you what you want to do. The question is if you want to return to the Centre when it’s all over or if you want to lead a life away from it?”

There was silence, so Jarod went on. “Parker and I will go back to the Centre, that’s for sure and I think Ethan will join us as well,“ Jarod looked over to Ethan who nodded his head in confirmation.

“I will come as well!” Jay stated from his seat on the table.

“No, you won’t!” Major Charles argued back.

“Yes, I will and you won’t be able to stop me!”

“As long as you are living under ‘my’ roof, you will do…,“ Major Charles roused but was interrupted by Jay.

“As far as I know, this is not ‘your’ roof. It’s Jarod’s house we are currently staying in,“ Jay snapped.

The Major gasped. “You will not go!”

“Watch me!”

“Jarod, go on with the general facts. We will talk about that subject again later,” Major Charles growled.

“Dad, I will go with them!” Jay snarled.

“Go on, Jarod!” The Major barked.

Jarod’s eyebrows had long since reached his hairline at the scene that unfurled in front of him. He shook out of his astonishment and went on, “I know that you are not certain if you want to come along or not, Dad, Em,“ Jarod looked over to them. “Your decision is not of importance right now. Just think about it. It’s different with you Sydney and Broots,” Jarod addressed the former Centre personal. “We will have to make several arrangements.”

“What arrangements?” Broots asked suspiciously.

“Either make up new identities for you when you want to leave or get your names out of all the files in the Centre if you want to return,“ Jarod said.

Broots frowned. “Why that?”

Jarod smiled. “I think it is better if your name doesn’t appear in the Centre’s records if you want to return with us. I don’t want anyone to try and put any one of you behind bars.” He gazed at Broots and Sydney again.

“I would like to come. Maybe I can make up some of the things I turned a blind eye to by helping you raising a new place there,“ Sydney answered the former question Jarod had brought up silently.

Parker and Jarod both smiled at Sydney, happy to have him on their side.

“Ok. It won’t be that easy with your name as it is with Broots but we will manage it,” Jarod grinned silently.

“Jarod, you said that you wanted to give the authorities your DSA’s. Sydney will be on them,“ Ethan reminded his brother.

Jarod frowned and contemplated this. “Well, I wouldn’t have given them many DSA’s anyway but there are enough without Sydney on them. From the times he was on vacation or on psychiatric meetings,” Jarod replied, a dark shadow darting across his face briefly.

Sydney and Parker both saw it and shared a look.

“What’s on those?” The Major asked, also sensing something in Jarod’s behaviour.

“Sim’s,“ Jarod answered curtly, clearly wanting to drop the subject. “Since the Centre doesn’t have any copies of the DSA’s, we won’t have to worry about Sydney anymore after we got his name out of the mainframe.”

Broots and his daughter had been talking quietly among themselves and now Broots addressed to Jarod. “Jarod, we would like to come back to Blue Cove, as well. Debbie has her friends there and…,“ he tailed off and shrugged.

Just as Parker and Jarod had been happy about Sydney’s reassurance that he would come along, it was now Jay’s time to plaster a happy grin on his face. Broots and Debbie’s coming along would mean that he had his new friend with him around in Blue Cove.

Jay had long since made his decision about returning with Jarod and Parker and even though Major Charles wasn’t happy about that right now, he would have to cope with that in the end for Jay was not about to let the Major win this fight.

Jarod nodded. “Then we will have to get your names out of the data as well. Maybe we will be able to make up a virus or something of that kind that will do the work for us.”

“How are we going to get that thing into the Centre? And when; before or after the raid?” Ethan asked.

“Before,” Jarod stated firmly. “We can send it to Angelo and he will do the rest.”

“Angelo!” Parker suddenly exclaimed. “What about him?”

Jarod smiled. “No problem. He contacted me yesterday before we went of to talk. Remember the thing I had to finish before we could talk?” Jarod asked.

Parker nodded.

“I sent him a reply then. He knows about what is going on here and he will wait in the Centre until we come to get him.”

“Wait, what do you mean, come to get him?” Emily caught on.

Jarod winced slightly. Parker’s eyes narrowed and she tensed.

“He means that he is going to be there once the Centre is raided by the authorities, am I right?” Parker shot angrily, remembering his nervousness around the theme earlier.

Jarod tripped his head and angrily quirked an eyebrow. “Yes, you are right. I won’t allow an old friend to get deported to a mental hospital or something like that because they have no idea how to deal with him,” he growled back as angry as she was.

“I don’t either but you won’t go there alone,” she snarled.

“We already had that, didn’t we? But this time you won’t join me,“ he glared at her.

“You can’t keep me from going with you!” Parker challenged.

”Watch me!” Jarod returned icily, unconsciously using the same words that Jay had used only minutes earlier.

The rest of people in the room watched the argument between the two going on with interest, noting the similarities between Jarod and his ‘brother’ all over again.

The body language, the way they held themselves, the way the talked and also the way their eyes sparkled dangerously.

Parker and Jarod stared at each other, neither of them backing away. Both of them shot flashes through narrowed eyes at the other one.

‘Someone will have to talk to them,’ Ethan realized again. ‘They are turning their indecision and tension around to hurt each other and to get away from the uncertainty. They are trying to get back to the level of communication they used for so long trying to ignore the development between them.’

Ethan looked around and saw that no one was willing or fearless enough to step between the fighting lions. He sighed.

“Ok, time out,“ Ethan called loudly. “We can argue about that once we have gotten that far. Now get back to the general story, Jarod,” he demanded.

Jarod still stared at Parker. He gulped down his anger for now and went on. “Well, either way,“ he shot Parker another angry stare which she returned unaffected, “we will have to delete at least Jay’s records if not also Ethan’s,“ he stated firmly.

“Why that? Don’t you want to have a clone in the family?” Jay asked half jokingly, half earnestly.

Jarod turned to him sharply. His eyes narrowed further if that was even possible.

“That’s not the point. I don’t have a problem with you until now but I don’t intent to introduce you to the world as my clone. I don’t have a death wish and I hope you don’t have one either. There is no way in hell I will get the attention on you that way. You will either go along as my brother, son or whatever family connection will explain your resemblance to me or you won’t come along at all,“ Jarod said determinedly.

“Hey, relax, will ya?!” Jay held up his hands. “It’s ok. You are right. It won’t be such a good idea to tell anyone that I’m cloned,” he relented.

Jarod nodded sharply and huffed.

Jay breathed silently and looked around. He made eye contact with Debbie. She had an eyebrow quirked in much the same way Miss Parker did it all the time. Jay merely grinned at her but inwardly he still wondered about Jarod’s outburst.

“So we will delete everything about Jay, Parker, Broots and me in the Centre’s records,“ Sydney asked again.

“No, we won’t delete Parker’s record,” Jarod replied.

Everyone gasped and Parker frowned at Jarod.

“What?” Major Charles asked.

“We won’t delete Parker’s records,“ Jarod repeated and turned to Parker to shoot her another glare, “And that’s exactly why I don’t want her anywhere near the Centre once it starts tumbling,“ Jarod clarified.

Parker tilted her head.

“Jarod, why won’t we delete Parker’s records?” Broots dared to speak up.

“Because she is the admission ticket to get the Centre into our hands,” Jarod explained.

Jay looked at Jarod and narrowed his eyes in contemplation. Then he blinked, suddenly understanding his brother’s motives. Now everything made sense. That was exactly why Jarod was so tense and had ripped into him unconsciously. He was drawn back into the conversation by his father’s voice and he waited for his brother to confirm his suspicion.

“How so?” The Major asked, feeling a wave of protectiveness for that woman wash over him despite the fact that Miss Parker had been the enemy until only recently.

“She is a Parker. ‘The’ Parker-heir to make it even clearer,” Jarod said and looked over to Parker. He saw realization creep into her eyes but there were still questions.

Jay nodded unconsciously when he heard his suspicion confirmed. Broots and Sydney started to understand as well.

“The Centre has been given along from generation to generation in the Parker family. Melina is the oldest Parker heir and the Centre rightfully belongs to her once the others are out of the picture,” Jarod paused and looked directly at her. “I don’t want you to be anywhere near that place because everyone will know your face. The authorities won’t go in there without preparation. The faces of every single key player in the Centre will be known. I won’t allow you to fall into their hands. If I could guarantee that they weren’t able to get to you at the scene, I would let you come with me but I can’t guarantee that. There will be so much turmoil and we can’t be sure if not anyone might make a snap decision and pull the trigger,“ Jarod said. “I don’t want you to be there,” he repeated silently.

Parker’s head had snapped up at the mention of her forename but what caught her even more was the gentle tenderness that showed through Jarod’s voice. She looked at him and nodded in agreement. “Ok, then I won’t be there.”

Jarod sighed and nodded gratefully.

“But what about later? They will know her as well when we come to get the Centre with her later,” Sydney voiced his worries.

Jarod nodded. “Yes, they will. It’s basically the point that they do know her. They will be caught off guard. We will do the negotiations somewhere in the agencies headquarters I believe. The atmosphere will be calm there. It’s not like directly on the field when everyone is nervous because they know the Centre’s history. There will be no one getting a gun out the moment they see her because the situation isn’t running high. There in the cool air of the conference room, I ‘can’ protect her…,“ Jarod said.

“I can take care of myself,“ Parker interrupted automatically, years of training shining through.

Jarod rolled his eyes. “Yes, I know that. I just wanted to say that we can explain the situation there calmly.”

“And what exactly do you want to tell them?” The Major asked.

“Normally it would be hard to get her out of the loop. She was part of that evil cooperation and so on and so on but we do have a trump card there. Parker helped destroy that cooperation and she never agreed with what they were doing. To get the destruction done, she had to flee and go in hiding just like us. She had been forced into doing her job, threatened and blackmailed. Loved ones were taken away from her, to keep her at the line and so on,” Jarod explained.

“That’s a heart wrenching story, Jarod but do you honestly think that will faze them?” Emily asked doubtfully.

“Believe me, it will. I will see to that,” Jarod stated determinedly, his eyes sparkling. “That is if you agree to this plan. If there are other ideas, now would be the time to tell,” he looked around.

There were no answers.

“Everyone content with the plan?” Jarod asked again.

No one replied but there were several nods.

“That’s the way we’ll do it then,“ Ethan said.


To be continued…