Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 5


Questions and decisions


“Oh, hey. I think you wanted some answers to your questions,“ he remembered.

“Yeah, you’re right.” She straightened.

“Well, go ahead.” Jarod relaxed and leaned back, all the while watching her expectantly.

“Ok. To start, where we left it: where did you get the letter?” Parker asked.

“As I told you earlier, I got it from one of Mr. Parker’s safes,“ Jarod replied. “And to keep you from throttling me again,” he grinned “I didn’t have it when we met at the Dover Town Bank and the hell broke loose there.”

Looking the pretender directly in the eye, she found no trace of discomfort or avoidance there. She hadn’t really expected anything else but she was relieved that he was obviously honest. “When did you find it then? I didn’t know that my father, or whoever he really was, had anymore safes or safe-deposit boxes you hadn’t found yet,“ Parker smirked.

“Well, I just recently found out about that one. He hid it very well.”

“Obviously not good enough. When exactly was “recently”?” she asked.

“You want to nail me? Trying to find a reason for throttling?” Jarod challenged. He tilted his head and raised an eyebrow, watching her intensely.

Parker returned his gaze and didn’t respond.

Shaking his head, Jarod chuckled slightly. “I was never able to beat you at that,” he revealed.

“What?” she asked innocently, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

“You know exactly what I mean. That little stare game of ours. I was never able to beat you at that,” he replied.

“Yes, I know. I just wanted to hear it once more. It’s good to know that the genius doesn’t always win a game,“ she declared with a wink.

“Not always and not this one against you,“ he admitted. “But to get back to your question, I found out about that safe nearly one and a half weeks ago and before you say something, I opened it yesterday and didn’t have the letter till than. I wanted to get to the safe a few days earlier but first I had my latest pretend to finish and than I had to loose Lyle’s and your team. You got pretty close this time. I had to make sure no one was following me.”

“I thought you were long gone when we arrived in Montana,“ she said surprised.

“No. In fact I just barely got away. Five minutes earlier and you may have got me,” he shrugged.

“You mean if we had searched more closely you wouldn’t be sitting here now but in a Centre cell?” she asked incredulously.

“No. I don’t think so. I was quite fast when I saw you,“ he grinned. “I had a good car and I knew the area around the building. You would have gotten closer but you would have lost me in the end,“ he shook his head.

“As always,“ was her comment. “Did you find anything else in the safe?”

“There were several other things but nothing concerning your mother,” he said.

“Anything else important for me to know?” she wanted to know.

“There were a few Centre contracts and some cash.”

“Centre contracts?” she asked, interested.

“Yeah. I already looked through them. They are a few years old. I didn’t think they are very important.”

“One would think a safe very well hidden from view would have more secrets. Incriminating stuff,” she mused.

“I thought so too. I was pretty disappointed when I looked through the contracts. At first I thought I had hit the jackpot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose,” he shrugged again.

“Do you still have them? I mean, did you take them with you? Maybe there is a deeper meaning to them but one doesn’t understand it at once.”

“Maybe. Yes, I do have them. Even though I didn’t think them important I took them with me. You never know,” he said.

“Hmm. What do you think, does my father have the DSA mom talked about in the letter?” she wanted to know.

“I don’t know,” he told her truthfully.

“Are there any more safes that you know of?” she asked quirking an eyebrow at him.

“Not at the moment!” he said without hesitance.

She picked up the letter and read it again. “Even if he didn’t get the DSA in his hands we still had to find it. The DSA and the Scrolls.” She also leaned back on the couch letting her hands with the letter drop into her lap.

Jarod looked at her in wonder.
“So you even consider searching for her plan and go through with it?” he asked astonished.

“You know… I did some serious thinking after you went out of my back door today,” she confessed. “I was never happy with the situation at the Centre. Not just with the situation at the Centre to be honest. I was always trying to get the one thing I wouldn’t get. Much the same as you but you still have your chance. Our situations were similar and yet different,“ she said.

When she saw Jarod’s confused look, she went on, “As I said while you still have your chance to find your parents my chance to get what I’m longing for most is gone. But even if my father… Mr. Parker was still alive, I wouldn’t, not in a lifetime, once get his approval. As hard as I tried I couldn’t get him to say the words,” she said.

Jarod was surprised at her honesty. He didn’t interrupt her. He had the feeling that she had to free herself from Mr. Parker. Maybe she was doing that now. And maybe in meantime he would find his old friend once again when there was no Mr. Parker or the Centre to chase her away. He couldn’t do anything more than let her talk and offer some comfort when the time came.

“Maybe he had to jump out of the damn airplane for me to realize that,” she continued. “And maybe it is time for me to let go, to turn around and walk away from the Centre. I mean, there is nothing that can hold me there now. Since my father, or the man I always thought was my father, isn’t there anymore, there is nothing more but further pain and annoyance for me to find. I have no more family ties to that hellhole,“ she sighed. “In the last few years since your escape I got to see much of the dark side of the Centre. More than I ever wanted to see.” She closed her eyes in surrender. “I’m tired of the game, Jar.”

Jarod looked at her, stunned. Before he had the chance to reply, she straightened and looked up. When she made eye contact, he saw the determined expression. He knew that look. It told him that she had set her mind to something.

She had always had that look since they were still kids.
Usually that look would result in their sneaking around and occasionally it meant trouble when they were caught.

He had always loved that fire burning in her eyes when she wanted to have something her way. Not once had he been able to resist that fire he always admired. Not even when he knew that what they were doing was stupid.
He had often tried to talk her out of her plan but when she had that firm look and that fire burning in her eyes he always surrendered.

He knew this would most certainly not be an exception, whatever it was she had set her mind to do.

“I think it’s time for the Centre to go down!” she said determined.




To be continued…