Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 48


New problems


Parker and Ethan quietly walked through the small forest around the property.

The last few days had quickly passed and they had fallen into some sort of routine. Jarod had gotten better very quickly and he was out of bed before Jay could even try to scold his brother. The moment Jarod had had his feet touch the floor, he dived headfirst back into their mission.

They had finally gotten the chance to get a look at the evidence they had gathered so far; the one Jarod had gotten from Catherine’s friend in Germany, the one they had gotten in Houston and also that which they had gotten from Father Moore and which Jarod had paid for with a bullet in his shoulder.

What they found was more than incriminating. They had been pleased and disgusted at the same time about their findings.

There were contracts between the Centre and various companies. Mainly between the Centre and the Triumvirate but among the amount of contracts there were some with the Yakuza and other illegal cooperation’s. Next they had gotten lots of hardcopy data about the evil doings of the Centre. These hardcopies confirmed and completed the tale the contracts told. And at last they had found evidence against the devil himself, Raines.

The evidence concerning Raines described projects that neither Jarod, nor Parker or Sydney had ever heard of.

But an extensive search in the Centre’s mainframe, Jarod and Broots had started had left them with more results that they had wanted to find.

Catherine had been able to get quiet an explosive package together and combined with the evidence they had found in the mainframe and with what Jarod had gathered over the years and what Broots had been able to get during the short time he had been included into the mission that was running, there was more than enough to bring the Centre down.

But exactly that point was that got them into trouble now.

Bring down the Centre for once and for all or follow through with the Scrolls prediction?

The Scrolls said that it was their destiny to raise a new Centre which was even more glorious than the last one and was yet legitimate.

Jarod and Parker were not sure themselves what they wanted to do but they tended to go along with the Scrolls. Jarod’s family however was determinedly against it. Well, Jarod’s family… that was not quite correct. It was mainly Major Charles and Emily who were against it.

Ethan tried to stay out of the conflict even if he played an equally important part in the Scrolls prediction as Jarod and Parker. Everyone had agreed that it was Ethan the Scrolls referred to as the one close to both the Chosen and the Angel who would make Parker’s and Jarod’s connection complete and who would work together with them to raise a new Centre.

Jay was also barely able to stay out of everything, not really voicing his opinions thinking that it was Jarod’s, Parker’s and Ethan’s decision for the most part. He was willing to go along with whatever they decided in the end.

Sydney and Broots also stood intentionally out of the conflict that went on, for the good reason that they didn’t want to get caught in the flames.

So the conflict raged mainly between Parker and Jarod on the one side and Jarod’s father and sister on the other.

Who would win in the end was yet to be seen.

Right now Parker enjoyed the company of her younger brother, well half-brother. They had just escaped a new fight in the house.

Parker was undecided if she even wanted to go along with the Scrolls and so was Jarod but especially the Major did everything to keep them from even considering the pros and cons.
Not being able to take another argument, Parker had blocked the verbal attacks and left the house. She had stormed off and Ethan had followed her, shooting Jarod a glance to tell him to stay behind.

They had been walking for some time, Parker resolutely storming ahead of Ethan and he just following her before she finally slowed down her pace.

By now they were walking side by side. A word had yet to be spoken. Ethan had wanted to approach her several times but each time his mother’s voice held him back, telling him that his sister needed some more time.

Suddenly, Parker stopped. She closed her eyes and huffed. Ethan turned to her, quietly observing.

“What shall we do?” she muttered with a small voice and looked up at her younger brother.

Ethan shook his head. “I don’t know, Parker,“ he said earnestly.

“I don’t know either,“ she huffed again and her shoulders fell.

Ethan stepped up to her and put his hands on her shoulders.

“I’m confused,” Parker confessed. “On the one hand I never wanted anything else as having the Centre out of our hair and destroying it and on the other hand now that I have the chance to do so, I just can’t seem to get it done. It is as if some invisible force is preventing me from doing so.”

Ethan was silent. “As I said, I don’t know what to do either. Did you talk to Jarod?”

Parker scoffed. “No. His father never really gave us the chance to talk without his interference.”

Ethan nodded mutely. “I know that Jarod is not sure what to do, just as we are but you should talk to him. He will probably be able to sort through the chaos that is raging in your head right now. He has similar thoughts running though his mind from what he told me.”

Parker nodded uncertainly. “Maybe you are right. What do you want to do?” she asked her brother cautiously.

Ethan smiled. “Parker, I don’t think that my opinion is the important one here,“ he shook his head, refusing to answer.

“Ethan, if we go along with what the Scrolls say, you do have an important part. I don’t think we can leave you out of the planning!” Parker stated firmly.

“I know that you won’t leave me out of the planning if it should come to this but it is not my place to decide,“ when Parker opened her mouth to interrupt him, he held up his hand. “No, Melina. Even though Mr. Raines got his hands on me from time to time and even though he tempered with my mind, I wasn’t directly raised from the Centre or Raines. It is you and Jarod and also Jay who made the most proximate and the worst experiences with them. That’s why I think that it is you who have to decide where to go from here,“ Ethan said.

Parker just gaped at him.

“It is you and Jarod who should decide if you can overcome your fear and aversion against the Centre and start something new and possibly something better on the grounds that tormented both your lives,“ Ethan told her, looking deeply into her eyes.

Parker blinked and nodded her head slowly. “I think, I will have to talk to Jarod once we are back”, she uttered.

Smiling, Ethan took her elbow and gently tugged at it. They started to walk back to the house.


To be continued…