Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 45


Difficulties to get along


Ethan walked into the house in front of the others.

“Parker, I’m back!” he called out loudly and then addressed to the other people gathered in the den. “Do you want anything? Tea, Coffee, something to eat?”

“No, in fact I’d rather see Jarod now,” the Major answered and Jay, Emily and Sydney nodded.

Just then, Parker came down the steps and walked into the living room. Debbie smiled and walked up to her. “I’m glad that you are ok, Miss P.”

Parker smiled back and the looked up to greet Sydney and Broots. “Glad that you are ok, too.”
She then looked over to Major Charles, Emily and Jay.

The Major and Jarod’s sister had tensed when she had come into the room.

“I told you that she wound ‘not’ harm anyone and I meant it,“ Ethan said serenely to his father.

“It’s ok, Ethan. No one can expect them to be open toward me after all these years,“ Parker smiled sadly and then her gaze came to rest upon the youngest member of Jarod’s family. She smiled slightly.

Jay returned her smile easily. Parker nearly gasped at the similarity between the original who was laying in a bed a floor above them and the boy in front of her; Project Gemini, Jarod’s clone. The boy who had been a Centre subject just as Jarod had been for such a long time.

Jay took a few steps toward her and extended his hand. “Miss Parker, it’s great to finally meet you again,“ he gave her another full blown smile that nearly knocked her off her feet. He even had the same irritating and lovable sparkle in his eyes as Jarod.

Chuckling, she took his hand. He was so much like Jarod. The boy had grown since she had last seen him and he had not only grown physically, he had also grown on the inside. He seemed to be content and balanced.

“Parker,” Ethan interrupted her musing.

She shook out of her reverie. “Yeah sorry, I just got carried away,” she said and turned toward her half-brother.

This time in was Jay who chuckled lightly at her comment.

“Parker, how is Jarod?” Ethan asked.

She sighed. “Same as before. The fever lowered some but it’s still pretty high.”

“Ethan, I would like to get a look at him,” Jay stated, his voice slightly distanced and his mind already on his patient.

Ethan nodded. “I thought so and I appreciate it. Come on,“ he replied and turned to walk out of the room.

“Ethan?” Sydney called. Ethan turned and looked at Sydney expectantly. “Can we join as well?”

Nodding, Ethan turned around again and led the way.

~~~~~~~

Jay joined Ethan at the window in Jarod’s room. Ethan looked up when his brother came to him. “So, what do you think?”

“I think you were right. You treated the infection correctly. The wound is looking quite ok by now. What worries me is, just as you said, the loss of blood,” Jay confirmed his older brother’s diagnose.

“A blood transfusion?” Ethan asked.

Jay nodded. “Yes. I think that’s best. He would probably recover without it but he will get well faster if we give him the blood. His body will be able to handle the fever better and we would also reduce the risk of another infection,” Jay said.

“Would you be willing to do it?” Ethan now questioned.

Jay tilted his head. “Sure I would. What gives you the impression that I wouldn’t?”

“Don’t know,” Ethan shrugged. “I don’t know if I even had the impression but we can’t just decide things that include you without your consent,” Ethan stated firmly.

Smiling, Jay nodded. “Thanks, but believe me if I wouldn’t agree with it you would have heard about it.”

Ethan returned the smile. “Ok, then let’s inform the others and get everything we need together.”

“Yeah and while we are at it, you can fill us into the story that resulted in this,“ he looked at Jarod meaningfully.

Ethan just nodded and the brothers left the room.

~~~~~~~

Jay sat next to Jarod on the king seize bed. He had been sitting there since they had started the transfusion that was still running smoothly through the tube that connected him to his older… brother.

Yes, Jay thought again. Jarod and he were more like brothers. He didn’t see himself as a clone or a mere copy from the original. He knew that they had completely different starting-points. In his veins might run genetically identical blood but it made him no less worthy of living. He had an own life that was not at all a copy of Jarod’s.

Jarod had been unconscious the whole time since the family had arrived and it hadn’t changed since they had started the transfusion. Nevertheless, Jay had been talking quietly to Jarod. It was not as if he waited for an answer, it was just for talking itself. He was sure that Jarod could hear him somehow and he wanted him to know that he was not alone.

Jay leaned his head back on the headboard and closed his eyes tiredly. The transfusion was wearing down his own body slowly.

“Jay?” Ethan called quietly when he entered the room.

Jay looked up and raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“I think it’s time to stop that,“ his half-brother said and indicated the transfusion with a nod of his head. Ethan walked over to the bed.

Jay nodded silently and helped Ethan cutting the connection between Jarod and himself.

“What’s the atmosphere like down there?” Jay asked, grinning.

“Tense but otherwise remarkably calm. They haven’t tried to rip each other’s heads off until now,“ Ethan responded.

“That’s the magical part of the sentence: until now,“ Jay’s grin widened even more.

Ethan chuckled mirthlessly. “Let’s hope it stays that way.”

“Don’t worry. I will talk to Dad and Emily again,“ Jay said.

“Even you can’t make the years of hurt and anger go away,” Ethan reasoned with a sad undertone.

“No, but I will make a point there, trust me! We don’t need any disputes now,“ Jay stated determinedly with a look on the still form of his older brother on the bed.

Ethan held up his hands. “There is no problem with me there. It’s most certainly Dad who will be hard to get to that. But now come on. We’ll get you some more juice and something to eat so you won’t faint.” He grinned when his half-brother slapped him on the arm slightly.

~~~~~~~

When they neared the kitchen they could hear a heated argument going on inside.

Ethan looked at Jay meaningfully. Jay clenched his teeth and resolutely pushed through the door.

“…will not tolerate your…,” the Major was saying when he was brutally interrupted by Jay.

“Dad, stop that”, the young man barked loudly.

“Jay,“ Major Charles said in surprise.

“Can’t Ethan leave for five minutes without you getting into a fight,“ he growled and walked over to the fridge to get himself some juice to drink.

“No, Jay, there are things to be cleared…,” Major Charles insisted.

“What things?” Jay questioned calmly.

“What about them for example?” The Major pointed toward the former Centre personal.

Jay looked over to them as well. Sydney had a calm and somewhat unreadable expression on his face. ‘Psychiatrist’, his mind registered. Mr. Broots sat there next to the psychiatrist cowering slightly. His daughter was next to him. She was clearly confused. What registered in his mind even clearer was the expression on Miss Parker’s face; it was something between frustration and surrender. She looked tired and had deep circles under her eyes.

Shaking his head to clear his mind as well to express his disagreement, Jay huffed clearly frustrated: “What about them?”

“They can’t stay here. I don’t want them to…,“ the Major roused but he was yet again interrupted by Jay, even more forcefully than the last time.

“Stop it right here and now, Dad. That’s really enough,“ Jay spoke sharply.

The Major looked at Jay surprised.

“Don’t you think this is pretty pathetic? Jarod is fighting up there to get better soon and you don’t have anything better to do than rip into them?” he scoffed furiously.

“How dare you? I don’t trust them and I don’t want…”

“That is not of importance now!” Jay snapped. “First, Jarod wanted them to be here, otherwise they wouldn’t be here. Second, Miss Parker is as deep in this as Jarod and they worked on this for some time now, so if she wanted to bring him back she could have done so quite a while ago and third, we all have the same goal. Or no, at the moment we even have two goals we share,” Jay sternly looked around at the faces of the people sitting around the table. “We all want Jarod to get better and we all want a life without the Centre, without the constant threat and looking over our shoulders. So what the hell are you trying to accomplish by spreading mistrust and anger?” Jay growled angrily.

Major Charles sat at the table stunned.

Jay shook his head and walked out of the room. “I’m going upstairs to Jarod. I want to check on him. Before you start getting your gun out again you might want to consider what I just said,” with that, Jay resolutely walked out of the kitchen.

Miss Parker looked at his retreating back in fascination. It was just as she had observed earlier. He had grown and matured. He stood up for his beliefs.

But there was even more… There was a calm in his eyes. Jay drew strength from the same source that Jarod accessed.

An unbreakable will and a never ending trust in his own abilities, the belief that he was worth something and that he valued his life. It had taken Jarod a long time to find that source but then again, he had been inside of the Centre for a far longer time than Jay had.

Parker realized once again that Jay was not a copy of Jarod but a different person.

He was a remarkable individual.

The way he had just chewed out his own father,… whew. The boy was what… sixteen, seventeen. Remarkable indeed.

Parker sighed noiselessly. She would love to go up to Jarod as well but she knew that would only get them into another argument. They didn’t need that right now. She hadn’t exactly participated in the last fight nor did she intend to do so in a possible sequel but…

She would have to wait until she could be with Jarod again.

Just then Jay reappeared in the doorway. “Miss Parker, I would like you to accompany me. I think Jarod would want you to be near him,” Jay said with a look toward his father, daring him to speak up.

Miss Parker looked up surprised but she didn’t question her luck for once.

She got up and walked through the kitchen door behind Jay.

When they were upstairs and walking toward Jarod’s room, Jay looked over to her and grinned conspiratorially.

She returned his gaze. “Thanks,” she smiled silently.

“You’re welcome. But I meant what I said earlier. I think Jarod would want you to be near him just like you want to be near him, yourself,“ Jay said.

Her eyebrows climbed high up on her forehead. “Is it that easy to see?”

“Pretty obvious when you take the time to look,“ Jay repeated, a smile in his voice.

She chuckled heartily.


To be continued…

Author’s Note: Ah, well. I’m not that much of an asset in medical treatment so bear with me if what I wrote was anything but believable. Let’s just say that this would work in fiction but not in reality in that case #smiles apologetically#.