Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 43


A call to get help


Ethan quietly opened the bedroom door and walked into the room.

Parker lay next to Jarod, curled on her side facing him.

He walked over to her and gently nudged her shoulder. “Parker, wake up.”

Blinking her eyes open, Parker looked at her brother and frowned.

“Sorry, to wake you but I thought that you would like to get some breakfast and I wanted to get a look on how Jarod is,“ he said gently.

Parker nodded and sat up. “Yeah, you’re right. What time is it?”

“Nearly twelve o’clock,“ Ethan replied.

Parker blinked at him surprised. “Then I better get up,” she smiled slightly.

~~~~~~~

Ethan followed Parker downstairs a few minutes later.

Parker looked up questioningly. “What do you think?”

“He is still very pale and tired. He has lost quite a lot of blood. I fear that he might need a donation,“ Ethan huffed and got himself a cup of coffee. He leaned onto the fridge.

Parker nodded mutely. “We have o bring him to a hospital, right?”

“I don’t like that, Parker,“ Ethan stated quietly.

“Me neither but we don’t have a choice, do we,” she replied.

When Ethan didn’t answer and looked at his hands, she looked at her half-brother closely and repeated, “Do we?”

“Well, there might be a way,“ he fidgeted with the cup in his hands.

Parker got up and walked over to him. She lightly touched his shoulder. “Tell me,“ she pleaded.

“We could get the rest of his family here,” Ethan murmured.

Parker looked at him. “What?” she asked stunned.

“I was with them when Mom said I had to help you. I have a way to make contact,“ Ethan told her in a small voice, still not meeting her gaze.

Parker was silent for some time and then sighed. “But…”

“Look, Parker…,” Ethan started but Parker interrupted him by putting up her hand.

“How soon could they be here?” she asked.

Ethan looked at her surprised. “You aren’t against it?”

“No. The idea is good. I’m sure that Jarod would be glad if his he knew that his family was safe,“ Parker said. “But that wouldn’t make his condition any better. I mean he would still need blood, wouldn’t he? And the Major doesn’t have his blood type.”

“Jamie is with the family,” Ethan said as if that would explain everything.

Parker raised an eyebrow and looked at her half-brother questioningly.

“You know Jay,” Ethan smiled. “But you know him as Gemini.”

~~~~~~~


The telephone rang.

“I’ll get it,“ she yelled and then answered the call. “Hello?”

“Hey Em. It’s me.”

“Ethan! Where are you?” Emily questioned.

“Look, can you get Dad. I’d like to talk to him,“ Ethan said without answering her question.

“Sure. Hang on… Dad, it’s Ethan!” Emily shouted.

Shortly afterwards Major Charles ran down the stairs. He grabbed the telephone out of his daughter’s hand.

“Ethan! Where the hell are you?” The Major growled.

“Dad. Sorry, I left without telling you guys anything but I had to. I want you to come to Canada where I currently am. It’s important,“ Ethan told his father.

“Ethan, that’s a bit rash, isn’t it?” The major bit back.

“Yeah, I know but it is really important. I can’t go into the details right now. Just trust me, ok?” Ethan argued.

“Ok, ok,“ Major Charles relented. “Get me the directions.”

~~~~~~~

Parker entered Jarod’s room silently and walked over to the bed. Sitting down on the edge, she reached out and touched his hand lightly.

Jarod’s eyelids fluttered open. “Hey,“ he rasped.

“Hey, how are you?” she asked.

Jarod just nodded tiredly. “Can you give me some water?” Jarod asked groggily.

“Sure,” she replied and got up.

She fetched a glass and went back to Jarod. Helping him to sit up she brought the glass up to his lips. Afterwards she helped Jarod lay back carefully. He sighed tiredly when he was in a horizontal position once again.

Parker frowned but kept quiet.

She also kept quiet about what Ethan was trying to accomplish downstairs. Ethan and she had agreed that they wouldn’t tell Jarod anything. Not before Ethan had talked to the family and even then they weren’t sure if telling him was a good idea. If anything went wrong and they couldn’t come, Jarod would be fairly upset and in his condition upsetting him was not a thing-to-do.

~~~~~~~

Ethan entered Jarod’s room. Parker sat next to Jarod who had dozed off again. She looked up and Ethan went over to the bed where he sat down.

“And?” Parker whispered.

“They will be here tomorrow,” he murmured back.

“Good. Sydney and Broots should be at the meeting point tomorrow, too,” Parker nodded.

Ethan nodded and then reached over to touch Jarod’s forehead. He frowned and got up once again. Parker looked at him questioningly but Ethan didn’t reply. He strode out of the room. A few minutes later he was back, a thermometer in his hand.

Parker looked up sharply and then reached out herself to touch Jarod’s forehead. He was feverish. The thermometer proved their suspicions shortly afterwards.

“Damn,” Ethan growled. “The wound probably got inflamed.”

He shook Jarod slightly. “Jarod, wake up.”

Jarod blinked and mumbled incoherently. “Jarod! I need you to wake up!” Ethan shook him again, this time more forcefully. “Parker, help me. We need to take off the bandage.”

They worked quickly and sometime during the procedure Jarod roused somewhat. He blinked his eyes open and looked at Ethan and Parker through glassy eyes.

“What?” he asked groggily.

“Jarod, your wound is infected,“ Ethan said after he got a look on the wound. “We have to get the fever down. Parker, stay with him. I have to see if he has any antibiotics, besides the ointment, that we could give him,“ Ethan ordered and got up again.

The rest of the day would probably be very long.



To be continued…