Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 42


Reaching safety


Jarod had been quiet through the rest of the flight, trying to doze despite the pain.

The pills Parker had given him hadn’t been very strong so they couldn’t block out the waves of throbbing completely.

Parker had been with him most of the time, sitting next to him, holding his hand and quietly stroking his cheek from time to time.

Now that the plane rolled down the runway of the small airstrip that was their destination, Parker got up from her seat and to put their things together.

“Parker?” Jarod called out silently.

She came over to him when she heard his voice. He looked at her through half-opened eyes.

“Hey there,“ she smiled at him and crouched down in front of him. Reaching out a hand, she gently caressed his cheek.

“There is a car near the hangar. The keys are in my bag,” he explained.

Parker nodded. “I was wondering how we would get away from here,“ she said.

“There is a map in the glove compartment that shows the way to the house,“ Jarod went on.

Ethan came out of the cockpit and walked over to his brother and sister.

“Hey, big bro. How are you?” he asked, crouching down in front of Jarod next to Parker who then got up to finish what she had been doing before Jarod had interrupted her.

“I’ve been better,” Jarod smiled weakly.

Ethan nodded. “What shall I do about the jet?” Ethan asked.

“I will talk to Matt. He owns the airport. The jet is here all the time I don’t use it. It usually sands in the hangar,” Jarod explained and roused somewhat.

Ethan carefully pushed his brother back into his seat without touching his bad shoulder. “I will talk to him. Where do I find him?” Ethan asked.

“He will probably be on his way over here as we speak. He always comes to welcome me,“ Jarod smiled slightly.

“Ok, then you stay here and I will go and talk to him,“ Ethan said and padded Jarod lightly on his thigh.

~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later the group had been in Jarod’s car.

Jarod was in the back seat, leaning heavily against the cushion with his eyes closed again.

Parker looked over her shoulder towards him every few seconds in worry. The ride was spent mostly in silence, only occasionally interrupted by Parker’s voice giving Ethan the directions to their destination.

When they reached the house, the passengers heaved a collective sigh.

Parker looked at the house, stunned. It was a big two story house, built beautifully on a small rise, surrounded by a small forest.

“Jarod, it’s beautiful,“ she said, awestruck.

Jarod chuckled tiredly.

Parker and Ethan got out and while Parker took some of their things, Ethan helped Jarod out of the car and over to the house.

Jarod leaned heavily into Ethan, his tiredness and the pain quickly drawing the rest of strength out of his body.

“Do you have some medical supplies here?” Ethan asked his half-brother when Jarod was finally seated on the couch in the living room. “I want to get a look on that wound of yours.”

“There is a room you can access from the kitchen. You can find some medicine there. In the master bedroom upstairs there is a bag in the closet. There are some more tools in it,“ Jarod replied.

Ethan got up again when Parker entered the room with Jarod’s duffle and her own bag.

Parker looked around the room and marvelled the beauty of the house once more. There was a big window from where you could oversee the valley beneath and the lake that stretched out from there.

She looked over to Jarod and saw the fatigue in his face. Walking over and sitting down next to him, she reached out and gently caressed his cheek. He leaned slightly into her touch and sighed groggily.

“Parker, will you help me get the bandage away?” Ethan addressed to her when he re-entered the living room, a bag swung over his shoulder and some packages of medicine in his hand.

Parker nodded and started to undo the bandage.

Quickly looking into the bag, Ethan whistled silently. “Quite a nice amount of equipment, big bro,” he said, looking up to find Parker carefully removing the last bit of gauze. He straightened and moved over to where Jarod sat to get a better look on the wound.

He grimaced slightly. “We will have to get that bullet out of your shoulder,” Ethan straightened and took some things out of the bag. “I’ll give you a local anaesthesia.”

Jarod nodded vaguely and looked up at his brother. “Can’t say anything against anaesthesia,” he rasped.

Ethan chuckled lightly. “I can imagine.”

~~~~~~~

Parker and Ethan were both sitting in the kitchen, eating silently.

It was dark outside. Ethan had made something to eat with which he had been able to coax Parker out of the master bedroom where they had moved Jarod to.

Ethan had given him a rather large dose of medication so that he was asleep.

Parker had been at Jarod’s side for the better part of the evening.

Their silent dinner had been the longest period of time she had been away from Jarod’s side since they had arrived at the house.

“Parker, we didn’t have the opportunity to talk about that until now but… what the hell are you two up to that I had to come and rescue you,” Ethan asked her, a sympathetic smile gracing at the corner of his mouth.

Parker sighed. “It’s about to end the evil that is the Centre,” she huffed.

When Ethan looked at her questioningly, she explained. “Mom started to gather evidence against the Centre. She had made a plan. Jarod and I got to know about it when we found out about your existence but the contents of the plan stayed hidden until nearly two month back…”

~~~~~~~

They had been talking about their mother’s plan for a long time when Parker yawned and rubbed her eyes.

Ethan observed her closely. “You are tired. You didn’t sleep much the last few weeks yourself, did you?”

Parker smiled warmly. “No, I didn’t,“ she confessed.

“Get up to Jarod and stay with him. I know that you want to be with him right now. I will get the rest downstairs done and then go to bed myself,“ he said gently.

Parker looked at him tiredly and reached out to cup his hand with her own. “I know that I’m repeating myself but I’m glad that you are here. Thank you.”

”You’re welcome, Melina,“ he replied.

She looked up startled and then smiled. “She told you, didn’t she?”

Ethan grinned. “Yeah, she did,” he replied without having to inquire about whom his half-sister meant.

Parker nodded and then got up to make her way back to Jarod’s side.

Ethan watched her go and smiled contently.


To be continued…