Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 41


Getting away with it


“But I might have an idea,” a voice called from behind.

Jarod and Parker both spun around. The movement made Jarod gasp in pain. A wave of dizziness washed over him. His legs buckled and he reached out to steady himself on the car.

“Ethan,“ Jarod and Parker both breathed.

Ethan quickly strode over to them and grabbed Jarod’s good arm. Putting it around his shoulder, he steadied his brother.

“Come on, people, we better get moving!” Ethan directed.

“Do you know how to fly?” Jarod asked.

Ethan grinned. “Yeah, I do,“ he said, when they reached the plane. “Get in, Jarod,” Ethan demanded and helped Jarod to get on board. Parker climbed in behind Jarod and then Ethan followed. “Stay with him, Parker,“ Ethan said and went to the front.

A few minutes later the jet taxied down the strip. They got into the air the moment several black cars screeched to a halt next to Father Moore’s van.

~~~~~~~

“God damnit,” Lyle screamed outraged.

The plane flew off into the sky and all they could do was staring after it. They could do nothing to prevent their prey from getting away.

And most importantly and worse than anything else, they could do nothing to get an idea as to where the prey was headed.

“We have… hhh... to get… hhh… them!” Raines wheezed besides him.

“Brilliant deduction but how do you propose to do that?” Lyle snapped.

“I don’t… hhh… care how… ‘you’… hhh… do that,” Raines spat back.

~~~~~~~

Jarod sat in one of the comfortable seats in the plane while they rolled toward the runway.

The knowledge that he didn’t have to fly the plane had made the pain getting the upper-hand in his consciousness. Before that, his concentration on the task at hand had forced the pain down. He closed his eyes and tried to divert his attention by concentrating on his breathing.

He groaned when Ethan accelerated the plane and he was pushed into his seat. Parker reached out and gently cupped his hand in hers. His hand was balled into a tight fist and he was sweating.

“Jar, I have to get a look at that wound,“ Parker stated firmly when the plane took of from the ground.

He nodded, his eyes still closed. “As soon as we are in the air,” he gasped.

Parker remained silent for some minutes and waited for them to gain some height.

“Jarod, is there a first aid kit?” she asked.

He nodded again. “In the cockpit.” He felt something warm on his hand and looked down while Parker got up from her seat and went to the front. Blood was running down his fingers.

Ethan looked up when she entered the cabin.

“How is he?” he asked.

“Not good. He’s very pale. He was already shot about a week ago. I don’t know how bad that one was but he surely lost some blood back then,“ Parker replied, looking around.

“That’s not good,” Ethan huffed.

“Yeah, I’m just glad that you appeared. He couldn’t have flown in his condition,“ Parker said.

“You think he will be able to hold on?” Ethan asked worriedly.

“He will have to. Jarod said that there is a first aid kit somewhere in the cockpit,” she half stated and half asked, looking at her half-brother.

“Yeah, it has to be somewhere back there.” Ethan half-turned in his seat and vaguely pointed to a small corner of the cockpit. “Say, where are we off to? What direction do I have to take?”

“Canada. Wait, Jarod has the map,” Parker remembered and quickly moved away from the cockpit back to where Jarod was seated.

He was pale and sweating. Grabbing a blanket on the way, she went over to him and sheltered him with it. Before the layer of fabric covered his body, she could see a fine line of blood on his hand. She grimaced. “Jar, where is the map from Canada?” Parker asked, keeping her voice determinedly neutral.

He looked up. “My bag,” he indicated the direction with a soft nod of his head.

Parker moved past him and found his duffle in one of the last seats in the plane. She quickly searched through his things and found the map.

Getting to the cockpit again, she opened the map and explained Ethan where they wanted to go to.

“Ok,” Ethan said. “Now look for that first aid kit and go back to him. Call me if you need help,” he told her.

Parker nodded and went back to Jarod.

“Jar,“ she called. He was still sitting there with his eyes closed.

She touched his good shoulder and called out to him once again. Jarod opened his eyes and looked at her groggily.

“I have to get a look at your shoulder. Can you get out of your jacket?”

“Will have to,” Jarod chocked out though clenched teeth.

He sat up slightly and groaned. Parker helped him as best as she could and together they managed to get him out of the jacket and his shirt underneath so she could get a look on the wound. When they had finally managed to strip him out of his clothes, Jarod was clenched in sweat and swaying with fatigue and pain.

His shirt and jacket were streaked with blood. Parker grimaced when she saw the wound beneath. There was an entrance but not an exit wound.

The wound had cracked open while they had moved his arm to get him out of his clothes. Parker sorted through the first aid kit and grabbed some gauze. She firmly pressed it onto the wound to stop the bleeding, making Jarod gasp out loud in pain.

“Sorry,“ she mumbled emphatically and grimaced.

Jarod only nodded vaguely, his eyes clenched shut tightly.

After some time, the bleeding gradually stopped and Parker bandaged his shoulder. Jarod gritted his teeth and clenched his hand at the firm binding.

“That’s about all I can do for you. The bullet is still in your shoulder and we will most certainly have to get it out of there but we will have to wait until we are in Canada. You have to hang on till there,“ Parker gently touched his cheek.

Jarod didn’t respond. His brow was wrinkled in pain and beads of sweat were standing on his forehead.

Parker sorted through the first air kit again. There were some painkillers she hadn’t noticed before.

She quickly got up from her position and moved to get a bottle of water.

Getting back to him, she took his hand and put two pills into his palm. “Jar, I want you to take the pills,“ she ordered.

He opened his eyes and looked at her questioningly. He was pretty much out of it and couldn’t think straight.

Parker nodded reassuringly. “Painkillers. Take them,” she said while she held the bottle of water out to him.

Jarod complied and took the bottle from her. After taking the pills and handing the water back to her, he sank back into his seat warily.

Parker drew the blanket up over his shoulders once more. “I’ll be back in a few minutes,“ she told him.

“Where do you go?” he asked groggily.

“To the cockpit. I have to talk to Ethan,“ she answered and turned around.

When she entered the front, Ethan looked up again. “Well?” he asked.

“The bullet is still in his shoulder. He lost quite a good amount of blood from the way his jacket and shirt were drenched in it. I gave him some painkillers but I fear that they aren’t that effective,” she told him.

Ethan breathed deeply. “Shit. How is he holding up?”

“As good as he can. He has dealt with injuries before, you know. The problem right now is just that he wasn’t that strong before he caught himself that bullet today. From what I could see, he didn’t sleep much over the last few weeks and he had to move a lot. He was pretty tired,” Parker explained.

“He will have to hold on. We will reach the airport in Canada in about an hour,“ Ethan said.

“After that I think that we will have to drive for, say thirty or forty minutes more,“ Parker added.

Ethan nodded. “Ok. Go back to him. I think he needs you right now.”

Parker smiled slightly at Ethan and went over to him. She hugged him from behind. “So you are the mysterious person close to both Jarod and me, who will help us.”

Ethan looked at her questioningly but Parker just waved a hand dismissively at him. “Long story. We’ll fill you in soon,“ was all she said and then added, “thanks for your help and it’s good to see you again.”


To be continued…