Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 40


In the middle of a hurricane


“Miss Parker has a head start from about three hours. We can make up some time when we take another airport closer to Father Moore’s house,“ Lyle said when they boarded the Centre jet.

“We have… hhh… to be fast!”

Lyle just nodded.

~~~~~~~

Jarod had waited for her arrival just as he had promised and they had quickly started the drive to Gather Moore. Jarod knew the way to Father Moore’s house and they were still on their way to him.

“How long till we get there?” Parker asked from the passenger seat.

“Impatient?” Jarod asked.

She looked over to him and grinned. Jarod looked somewhat better than he had when they had last met in Houston.

“How is your shoulder?” she questioned.

Now it was Jarod’s time to grin at her. “Not a problem anymore.”

Jarod turned right onto a small street. “There we are,” he said when they arrived in front of a small house.

“Jar, I have a strange feeling,“ Parker halted in her movements when she reached for the door handle.

“What do you mean?” Jarod asked puzzled.

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “It’s just…”

“Your Inner Sense?” he asked, suspicion creeping into him.

“Yeah,” she admitted.

“Ok, we will be careful.”

Parker nodded and they both got out of the car.

She looked around carefully and got her bag out of the trunk. Jarod looked at her and frowned but he didn’t say anything.

He walked up the steps and knocked on the door.

It only took some moments for the door to open, revealing a slightly shocked Farther Moore.

“Jarod and…,” he paused. “Miss Parker,“ he breathed.

“Father Moore,” she replied quietly.

“I suppose you came here to retrieve something,“ Father Moore quickly got over his surprise and his face lit up.

Jarod chuckled silently and nodded.

“Well then, I think you better get in here,“ he took a step back to invite them both in.

~~~~~~~

“Dad, I’m home,” Debbie called out.

Broots appeared in the doorway. “Good,” he huffed. “How did it go?” he asked his daughter.

“She said that she had a hard time getting rid of him,” Debbie paused. “I think she was pretty worried.”

Broots nodded. “Get our things into the car. I want us to be ready to go at once if she calls!”

Debbie swallowed but then nodded and turned to get their things.

~~~~~~~

They had been talking for two hours when Parker winced and put a hand to her head.

‘Darling, you have to go now!’, her mother’s urgent voice called out to her.

“Jar, we have to go… now!” Parker said.

Jarod looked as if he wanted to argue but when he saw the look on her face he just nodded and swiftly got up. “Sorry, Father but I think she is right”, Jarod said.

“What a shame,” the father replied and got up himself.

Opening the front door, they saw a car speeding up the driveway. It was a black town car…

~~~~~~~

“There! Miss Parker and Jarod are both here!”

“Hhhhh… get them!”

The sweepers jumped out of the car and hurried toward the house.

~~~~~~~

“Damn,” Jarod gave a door a hard push that sent it crashing into the frame and grabbed Parker’s arm. He moved on auto pilot and ran to the backdoor dragging Parker with him.

“Father, we have to get out of here and you will have to come with us,“ Jarod called over his shoulder.

Jarod opened the back door and pushed Parker through it. There was a van standing in the middle of the yard.

Father Moore stood next to Jarod and looked at him in bewilderment. “Father go!”

“No, my home is here, I can’t go.”

“Father, we don’t have the time to argue. The sweepers will kill you if you stay here. Get in the car,“ Jarod said forcefully and gave Father Moore a shove.

They stumbled down the steps towards the Father’s car.

Suddenly the back door burst open behind them and the sweeper’s rushed out.

Parker had reached the car and jumped into it, the Father followed suite.

Jarod was about to reach the door when a sweeper pulled the trigger.

The force of the impact pushed Jarod to the ground. He groaned and rolled into a crouch. Pushing himself up, he raced last few steps toward the car and jumped in.

Parker pushed the gas pedal down the moment Jarod was in the car.

“Where to?” Parker asked him.

“The airstrip I told you about,“ Jarod shot back.

“Jarod, I can’t leave the city,” Father Moore exclaimed once again.

“Ok, ok. We will find a way. Let us get out of here in one piece first,” Jarod said.

“I will stay at the airstrip. Scott won’t mind,” Father Moore told them.

Parker looked into the rear-view mirror. “I don’t see anyone,” she called.

“Let’s hope it stays that way!” Jarod shouted back over the roar of the engine and put a hand on his shoulder. It felt as if his shoulder was in flames. A wave of dizziness and sweat rushed over him. Jarod could feel a sticky warm wetness slowly spread down his arm and back.

They raced down the small street and Jarod directed them to the airstrip. He took out his cell phone and quickly dialled.

“Scott, it’s Jarod. Get my bird ready. We will be there in five minutes…,“ Jarod nodded. “Yeah, that’s right!” he hoped that he would be able to fly but the throbbing in his shoulder didn’t imply anything positive.

He terminated the call and dialled once again.

“Mr. Broots. Get out of there, now!” he ordered. Jarod listened to the reply and added. “Yeah, she’s fine. But now get moving!” With that he ended the short conversation.

Before Parker could say anything else, Jarod dialled again.

“Syd… yeah. Refuge, Sydney. Refuge,“ Jarod groaned when the car bumped on the road and swivelled slightly. He snapped the phone shut. Adrenalin seared through his body and he tried to push the pain away.

“Jar,“ Parker looked over at his groan. “What is it?”

“Are you able to fly a plane, Parker?” Jarod asked in return.

“Are you kidding? Of course not!”

“Then we might have a problem,” Jarod answered.

The car screeched to a halt at the airport and they got out of the car. Jarod winced at the movement.

“Jar. You are hurt,“ Parker called.

“Get over to the plane, Parker,“ Jarod shouted and grabbed his shoulder.

“You can’t fly in that condition,“ Parker argued.

“I will have to or do you have a better idea?” he challenged. Pain clearly showed through his voice, despite his efforts to keep it at bay.

Parker hung her head. “No.”

“But I might have an idea,” a deep voice called from behind.

Jarod and Parker both spun around.



To be continued…