Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 4


Making peace with a friend


Taking a deep breath she set off for the door, a cup in each hand.

She slowly opened the back door, careful not to spill the hot liquid.

Jarod sat on the steps leading down to the back yard. He was watching the sunset.

Parker sat down next to him. He didn’t acknowledge that she had joined him but when she offered him one of the mugs he took it without hesitance. Still, he kept watching the sun go down.

“It’s so beautiful. Just the sight of the sun disappearing behind the horizon is admirable,” Jarod uttered.

“Jarod. We…I…”

“Shh. Not now. Let’s enjoy this short moment,“ Jarod interrupted, effectively silencing her.

Parker surrendered and lowered her head.

“Hey, to enjoy the sunset you have to watch it,“ Jarod emphasized, stealing a sideward glance at Parker.

“Jarod. I… I just wanted to say… I’m sorry and I want to apologize,“ she stuttered.

“Ok.”

“Ok? Is that all you have to say to that. Well, I mean I just said that I’m sorry,“ Parker replied irritated.

“Yes, I know what you said. And I know that you are sorry. Otherwise you wouldn’t be sitting next to me taking pleasure in that beautiful sunset,” Jarod stated simply.

Parker was totally caught off guard. She sat there staring at Jarod. She opened and closed her mouth several times without uttering a word. Eventually she turned her head to the sun not really seeing it because she still trying to work through his statement.

When the sun had vanished, Jarod turned to Parker. She was sitting besides him with unseeing eyes staring straight ahead.

Smirking he sipped at his coffee. When he turned his head back toward her, she hadn’t moved an inch.

“Come on. Let’s go inside. It’s getting cold when the sun isn’t there anymore.” Jarod rose.

When Parker didn’t move he knelt down and gently tugged at her elbow. She snapped out of her reverie and looked at him, a blank expression on her face.

“I said we should better go in for it will soon get pretty cold here,“ he repeated patiently.

Parker followed him inside the house still dazed.

They went into the living room and Parker sat down as if on autopilot.

Jarod went to the fireplace and carefully started a fire.

“Jarod?”

“Hmm,“ he grunted without turning around.

“What… I mean. What the hell was that about?” she asked.

“What?” he asked back.

“That! I mean… Just a few minutes ago… what you said outside.”

Jarod didn’t answer.

“Well. I always thought the day I apologised to somebody, let alone to you, you would throw a party,” she said.

“Parker. I already told you that I knew you were sorry and that’s all that matters,” Jarod replied.

“But... aren’t you angry at me? I behaved like an idiot, accusing you and ripping into you without so much as a second thought,” she questioned incredulously.

Jarod, having finally lit the fire, stood up and turned towards her. When he saw her troubled face, he sighed and walked over to her. He sat down on the couch next to her.

“I was angry at you,” he admitted. “That’s why I went out. Your accusations hurt and I didn’t want to turn the tables on you and start dishing out myself. I think you and I both needed some time to regain our temper.”

“Nevertheless, I’m sorry,“ Parker exclaimed.

“I know! And it’s already forgotten,“ he smiled reassuringly at her.

She breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks, Jar.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied, a content smile at hearing her voicing his old nickname.
She grinned back.

They sat in companionable silence for several minutes just watching the other.

“Oh, hey. I think you wanted some answers to your questions,“ he remembered.




To be continued…