Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 39


The winds are getting stronger


Parker looked over her shoulder to see if her shadow was still following her. When she spotted him in the corner, she smiled at him and winked.

But on the inside she was irritated about his stamina.

She had parked the car at the mall’s parking lot and started her ‘shopping tour’.

The sweeper had parked next to her for there was no reason for him to try and stay hidden any longer.

Parker had hoped that he would quickly loose interest in her doing but until now, he had followed her around like a puppy. For he was new on the job and her little talk with him she had imagined that he would make his way back to the car and wait for her there but obviously Lyle and his friends weren’t that stupid.

She gritted her teeth and went on.

Two hours of running through that damn mall took their toll on her. She hated shopping without purpose and today was even worse because she knew that she had to get away from the sweeper and that Jarod waited for her. She still had enough time to get to Wyoming but if that idiot of a sweeper didn’t slip soon, she would have to go over to plan B.

Parker stalked to the cashier to pay for a rag she usually wouldn’t have even touched but she needed to keep up the face she had put up for the sweeper.

She looked around once more to get a glimpse of him only to find him gone from the spot she had localized him before.

Parker frowned and quickly scanned the area around her. She paid the rag nonetheless and went to the next shop, all the while keeping an eye on the area without attracting too much attention.

Five minutes went by and her shadow didn’t reappear. Neither he nor another sweeper showed up. There was no Centre personal in sight.

Parker grinned triumphantly and dumped the package with the rag into the next trash can. She walked to the closest mall exit and from there on to the central station. She had to get to the airport by train because she couldn’t go back to her car for obvious reason.

~~~~~~~

She met with Debbie in front of the airport.

“Miss P. There you are. I was starting to get worried,” Debbie said when Parker arrived.

“Yeah, sorry. It took some more time to get away from my shadow,“ Parker huffed when she took the bag Debbie held out to her. “Thanks Debbie. You better get back now.”

“Ok, Miss P. Be careful!”

Parker smiled. “I will. We will see each other soon!”

Debbie nodded and hurried off.

Parker quickly entered the hall and organized herself a ticket to Wyoming.

The plane took off at half past eleven and she would arrive at about three twenty in Wyoming. That was just perfect. If everything went as planned she would be back in Dover in the evening. Maybe that sweeper wouldn’t notice anything. Maybe. She frowned, not exactly believing in that theory. Ah, well, she would have to make up a cover story. So what?

~~~~~~~

His cell rang. “Yes?”

“Well, where is she?”

“Mr. Lyle…,“ the sweeper stuttered.

“Indeed. So, I asked you a question,“ Lyle growled.

He gulped. He couldn’t imagine that guy and the beautiful woman being twins. Lyle didn’t have a conscience while his sister was obviously not only beautiful but nice and caring.

“She is in the mall in Dover,“ he said finally.

Lyle frowned. “In the mall?”

“Yes, Sir,” he affirmed.

“How long?”

The sweeper looked at his watch. One o’clock. “About four hours, Sir,” he said.

“Four hours?” Lyle sat up in his chair. He frowned again. His sister was not the kind of woman who went shopping all day in the mall. She would go to designer shops but not to ‘ordinary’ shops “Where exactly is she now?”

The sweeper gulped and started sweating. “In the mall,“ he repeated, trying to get away with that.

Lyle growled angrily. Was that person dumb? “A little more precise,“ he ordered sharply.

“I… I… I don’t know,” the sweeper stuttered.

Lyle got up from his seat and started pacing. “What do you mean ‘You don’t know’? Did you loose her?”

“No, but…”

“What?” Lyle screamed into the receiver.

“She talked to me earlier that day and told me that her shopping tour would take some time and,“ the sweeper explained only to be interrupted by Lyle.

“What do you mean ‘she talked to you’?” Lyle asked furiously.

“She knew that I was tailing her and I followed her around for about three hours,“ the sweeper lied about the time factor to make his obvious failure smaller.

“And then you just left her?” Lyle screamed, irritated at the sweeper’s stupidity.

He didn’t reply but hung his head.

“When did you leave her?” Lyle’s voice whipped through the receiver.

“Look, Sir. I’m sure that she is still in the…”

“I don’t care what you think. I want to know when exactly you left her and after that I want you to move your sorry little ass back to the Centre so that we can decide about consequences,“ Lyle snapped and strode out of his office.

“Sometime around eleven thirty,“ the sweeper said plainly, again stretching the time a little.

Lyle terminated the conversation and stormed of to Raines office.

“We have a problem!” he announced without preamble upon entering.

Raines head whipped up and he looked toward Lyle. “What?”

“The sweeper Willie put up to follow Parker lost her,“ Lyle said without informing Raines about the circumstances. He would have a long talk with Willie the moment the chance presented itself.

“Not… hhh… again,“ Raines growled.

“We have to localize her!” Lyle announced forcefully.

“How long has she been gone?”

“One and a half hours,” Lyle said.

“Hhhh…one and a half hours?” Raines scowled furiously.

“Yes,“ Lyle affirmed.

“Get the airports… hhh… under observation… hhh… and get the… hhh… surveillance tapes… hhh… from the last… hhh… three hours. We… hhh… have… hhh… to get her!” Raines ordered.

Lyle nodded and left the office.

~~~~~~~

He left the house quietly, only leaving a short message on the kitchen table that he would make contact soon.

Hurrying down the front lane, he got into the car and started it. He would have to get to the airport quickly.

Something was about to happen.

He had had a splitting headache the last few days.

The voices had screamed at him all at once and he hadn’t been able to sort through them. The volume had risen over the last few hours but then, about half an hour ago it had been quiet suddenly.

After that it had been only ‘her’ voice talking to him. This time the message was clear and it left him stunned. She told him that his brother and sister were in great danger and that he needed to help them.

He huffed. The others would be furious about his absence but he had to get to his brother and sister first.

Ethan didn’t know in what danger they were. His mother didn’t tell him. The only thing that she told him was that he had to act fast. She would guide him.

That was all he needed to know and he had left the house without the others to get his brother and sister to safety.

~~~~~~~

“I’ve got her,” the tech called out to Mr. Lyle who was standing in the middle of the tech room.

Lyle’s head snapped around and he hurried toward him. “Where is she?”

“I don’t know where exactly she is in this moment but she was at the Dover airport three hours ago,“ the sweeper said.

“Where did she go?” Lyle asked impatiently, looking over the tech’s shoulder onto the screen where his sister was pictured. “Can you zoom to the boarding pass the clerk gives her?”

The tech nodded mutely and did as he was told.

“Wyoming!” Lyle exclaimed and turned on his heel to leave the tech room.

The moment he was out the door a collective sigh went through the room.

~~~~~~~

Lyle burst into Raines office. “Wyoming,“ he said. “She is on her way to Wyoming. What can she possibly want there?”

Raines pondered for a moment. “Has Jarod… hhh… ever been in… hhh… Wyoming?”

“Jarod?” Lyle blinked.

“Yes. Hhhh… maybe there is… hhh… something of… hhh… interest that draws… hhh… Miss Parker… hhh… and perhaps also… hhh… Jarod back to… hhh… that place”, Raines said.

“There was something in Wyoming a few years ago. It must have been around the time Miss Parker’s ulcer ruptured,” Lyle remembered.

Raines blinked and then it dawned on him. “The rosary,” he whispered, remembering the surveillance tapes. “Father Moore,” he exclaimed, looking up at Lyle.


To be continued…