Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 37


A storm is brewing


Parker and Jarod slipped into the car simultaneously.

The package they had just received lay in Jarod’s lap. Parker had insisted upon driving back and Jarod had been too tired to argue with much force.

He settled into his seat and looked over to Parker who had just started the car.

“That went well,” Parker said when she realized that he was looking at her.

“Yeah, it’s far easier when you are there. They don’t doubt our connection and the fact that you have a big resemblance to your mother helps as well,” Jarod replied and averted his eyes from her to look at the street ahead.

She looked at him questioningly. “What?”

Jarod shot her another look. “It took me quite some time to convince your mother’s friend in Europe to hand me her package. In the end it was the photo I persuaded you to make of us together that did it. Otherwise I probably would have returned empty-handed.”

Parker chuckled lightly.

“She was so damn suspicious,” he grumbled.

Parker sobered. “So, what now?”

“You get back to the hotel and tell Willie to go to hell when he asks questions and I will leave the city now and go back to Canada. I will store the evidence there with the rest we already recovered,” Jarod explained.

“Jarod, you are not up to travelling again,“ Parker said frustrated.

“That doesn’t matter at the moment. I have to get this to safety,” he pattered the package in his lap, “and once I am there I will get some rest. A few hours will have to do it but that’s better than nothing,“ he huffed.

“Jar…,” Parker started but Jarod interrupted her.

“Parker, that’s not negotiable! We have to hurry to get the last piece of evidence. Today was a near catastrophe and I don’t want the Centre to get anywhere close to our last piece,“ Jarod said firmly.

She sighed, realizing that she wouldn’t be able to pull down that brick wall he had set around his mind and secretly she was of the same opinion. They needed to get that done fast and maybe Jarod would be able to get over today’s trauma by going on.

“Take the next street on the right side,” Jarod directed.

“Why, the hotel is some more blocks away,“ she frowned.

“Yes, it is but I don’t think we can drive right up there and change places so that I can drive off again. I don’t think Willie and crew would be pleased about that. The taxi is in the next street and there we will change cars and switch positions,” he explained.

“Sorry, I wasn’t thinking,” Parker blushed slightly.

Jarod grinned.

“Jar,“ Parker started again.

“Hmm?” he murmured.

“What next?”

“Sorry?” he looked over to her a questioning expression on his face.

“How do we pull this off the next time?” she asked him worriedly.

“I’m not entirely sure yet,“ he admitted. “You will probably have to get away from your pursuers alone. I think it’s best if we meet directly in Wyoming.”

Parker sighed.

“Sorry but I can’t tell you anything more definite right now. I will let you know details through our currier when I’m more coherent,“ Jarod said.

“You should rest more than just a few hours,” Parker tried again.

Jarod drew a deep breath. “I know that I should, but we don’t have that option.” He shrugged tiredly and winced at the pain in his shoulder.

~~~~~~~

Parker strolled into the lobby.

Suddenly a sweeper stepped in her way. She growled and tried to brush past him but he blocked her path again.

“Do you have a death wish?” she snarled, her eyes narrowing.

“No, but I have orders to accompany you to my boss,” he said sternly.

“What does he want?” she asked uninterested.

“You will find out once we get there,“ he replied.

“Sorry buddy but if you don’t give me anything of interest than Willie will have to wait until tomorrow,“ she stated.

“Sorry, can’t do that Miss Parker. I have specific orders to bring you to him!”

“And I don’t care if you have orders or not,” she snapped back. Parker rounded the sweeper and stalked off toward the elevator.

She already thought that she had succeeded in getting away from him when he entered the cabin just as the doors started to close.

He punched in a floor number and silently waited until the doors closed again.

Parker rolled her eyes.

When the doors opened again, the sweeper got out of the car and looked at her expectantly.

She returned his stare unimpressed with a quirked eyebrow.

“I told you I had orders,“ he said.

“And I told you that I don’t care,” she replied evenly.

Before the sweeper could say something else, another one of Willie’s goons appeared.

“Miss Parker, our boss is waiting for you!”

Parker had a hard time keeping her temper down. She stormed out of the elevator car and past the sweepers.

“This better be worth it,“ she growled dangerously at them while brushing past.

~~~~~~~

“Miss Parker,“ Willie started when she entered.

“What do you want?” she snarled, advancing on him. “And who the hell do you think you are, ordering me around?”

“Miss Parker, I had orders,“ Willie started.

She growled dangerously. “We are going in circles here. Tell me what the hell you want and make it short!”

“Mr. Lyle wants to know where you were the last,” he looked provokingly at his watch, “three hours?”

“That’s neither his, nor your business,” Parker replied evenly.

“If you don’t have anything to hide then you can tell where you were,” Willie demanded.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” she replied sarcastically. Then she huffed, frustration creeping into her features. “This chitchat is quite nice but well, I have some things to take care of now and I want to get them done. I was down in the hotel bar and later on I went to another restaurant in the city. The ‘McGreen’s’.”

“And after that? You haven’t been in the restaurant for a long time,” Willie asked.

“Did you guys follow me? A little spying tour. Don’t you have anything better to do?” she asked point blank, quickly using Willie’s mistake of telling her that they had been following her.

“Answer the question. Where have you been, Miss Parker?”

“I went to an old friend who lives close to the restaurant,“ she replied.

“Through the backdoor?” Willie asked, his eyebrows rising on his forehead.

“Yes, through the backdoor. It’s a short cut,“ she replied.

“I don’t believe you,“ Willie growled.

“That’s your problem,” she shrugged her shoulders, looking at him.

“I can quickly make it your problem,” Willie tilted his head and quirked his eyebrows.

Her eyebrows rose, too. She was really angry now. Her eyes threw fire at the man in front of her.

“Are ‘you’ threatening me? You better watch who you are talking to, Willie. You might be one of the high-up sweepers, but don’t forget who I am,“ she snarled dangerously.

Willie didn’t back away. Miss Parker turned on her heel and strode out of the room, pushing a sweeper out of her way forcefully.

~~~~~~~

“So?”

“She hides something,“ Willie said.

“That’s not new. I want to know what that is,” Lyle snapped.

“We don’t know yet,” Willie replied.

“You said that she went to a restaurant. Did she meet with someone?” Lyle asked, turning in his office chair.

“We don’t know,” Willie admitted and closed his eyes, glad that Lyle was a good distance away in Blue Cove while he was here in Houston.

“What do you mean, you don’t know?” Lyle asked, worry creeping into his voice.

“We lost her,“ Willie said.

“You ‘what’?” Lyle screamed and sat up straight in his leather chair.

“She obviously slipped out through the backdoor. We didn’t realize until it was too late,“ Willie explained.

“What are you, a bloody beginner?” Lyle screamed again, furious.

Willie remained silent.

“Idiot! You probably missed a good chance. We’ll talk about it once you get back from that trip,“ with that, Lyle snapped the phone shut.

~~~~~~~

Lyle stalked into Raines office.

“Well?” Raines asked.

“Willie’s team lost her at some point during the evening,” Lyle replied with a growl.

Raines eyes went small.

“Don’t look at me. ‘You’ said that Willie was the perfect man for such an assignment,” Lyle defended himself.

“We have to know… hhh… what she… hhh… is up to!”

“Tell me something new,“ Lyle snapped back.

“Our time… hhh… is… running out,” Raines rasped.

“I know!” Lyle screamed and then took a deep breath to get his feelings back under control. He went on in a calmer voice. “We will get her!”

“You better… hhh… be right!”

Lyle got up and left the office. His sister was dangerous. They needed to know what she had up in her sleeve.

Whatever it was, it could be their demise if they didn’t stop her now.


To be continued…