Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 35


After-effects


Jarod silently entered the warehouse.

Looking around carefully he couldn’t see anything suspicious.

He sighed relieved. He still couldn’t believe that he got away from his encounter with the sweepers in the garage of the mall relatively unharmed.

A bullet had grazed his shoulder and he had some other scratches but besides that he was ok.

The sweepers had been surprised about his move and they hadn’t reacted fast enough. Jarod had barrelled himself through the door with great speed.

Though the sweepers had quickly recovered from their surprise and had started to fire, they hadn’t been able to put a hazardous bullet into his body.

His shoulder would be a little bit sore for some time but he was alive and he was not in the Centre.

The warehouse he had just entered had served him as a lair in former times.

After getting himself some medical supplies he had chosen to make his way to that old lair.

He would have to treat his wound and then he needed to think about his next steps.

Jarod carefully slipped out of his leather jacket and peeled away his shirt to get a closer look on the damage the bullet had done.

It wasn’t that bad. Just as he had anticipated it was a flesh wound. He had lost some blood but that should be no problem. He cleaned the wound and applied some ointment and then bandaged it.

Sitting down on the edge of a chair, he leaned back slightly to relax his muscles.

He groaned silently when his shoulder protested.

Jarod closed his eyes tiredly. Now that the adrenalin wore of he was left with an all-consuming tiredness.

He would have to decide if he wanted to try to get Parker away from the team or retrieve the evidence alone.

~~~~~~~

Parker glared dangerously at Willie.

“What the hell was that about?” she snapped.

“I had orders to catch Jarod once he showed up,“ Willie replied unimpressed.

Parker fumed. This stunt had been dangerous. Not that she worried about Willie and his goons but this had been about Jarod.

While she was glad that Jarod could escape she had yet to maintain the façade of being angry. That was not a problem though because she was precisely that.

Angry… Furious… Livid

She growled. “Whose orders?”

“None of your business,“ Willie shot back.

Her eyes got small. “Jarod is ‘my’ assignment. Everything concerning him ‘is’ my business!”

“Not this time,“ Willie replied smugly.

Parker advanced on Willie. One of the remaining sweepers got his gun out. Her head snapped toward him and she shot him an icy stare.

“If you want to stay alive, stay out of this,“ she snarled.

The sweeper gulped but didn’t back away.

“Willie, get your idiots under control. They shouldn’t even have a gun if they aren’t able to work with it. Missing a person when standing only several feet away shows poor training!”

Willie growled but Parker was unaffected.

“I will put that in my report, be sure of that. You blew it and you will have to take the responsibility for that,“ she snarled viciously at him.

Turning on her heel, she stalked of.

~~~~~~~

Parker sat at the bar waiting for her drink.

They had decided to stay in Houston over night. They would search the lair once again tomorrow.

To tell the truth she had made the decision because she still hoped that Jarod would make contact.

Now that she sat at the bar, she was not sure if Jarod had already done that.

She had received a call from the clerk, saying that there was someone who wanted to meet her in the hotel bar.

Upon arriving, the bar had been completely empty.

The bartender gave her a drink and she quietly sipped at it. Looking down on the napkin the bartender had put her glass upon, she nearly winced.

There was a message scribbled on it. It was Jarod’s handwriting.

She calmly put her glass down as if nothing had happened.

Quickly taking the napkin and putting it away she got up and left some money on the bar.

She strode toward the main entrance and strolled over to the taxis.

“To the McGreen’s restaurant,” she barked, sliding into the backseat.

Without answering the driver complied with her order.

She settled back in her seat and was startled out of her silent musing by Jarod’s voice floating towards her from the driver’s seat. “Melina.”

“Jarod?” she asked, sitting up.

“Yeah, shh. Stay low. Don’t act suspicious. We are being followed. Just listen!” Jarod said.

“Are you ok?” Parker questioned while settling back as Jarod had ordered.

“Yeah,” he sighed and looked at her through the rear-view mirror. “Look, we have to get you away from the sweeper team that is following us right now.”

Parker just nodded.

“Go into the restaurant and order something to eat. Sometime during the meal get up and go to the restroom. In the corridor to the restroom, there is another door. It leads to the backyard. I will be waiting there for you,“ Jarod explained.

“Ok. You think that the sweepers won’t notice my absence?”

“They will but once they do it will be too late. We will be long gone by then,” Jarod said when he pulled the car to a stop in front of the restaurant.

“Be careful,” Parker said and got out of the car, strolling into the restaurant.


To be continued…