Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 34


Houston


God, he was tired.

Again, he had a jet lag. He had just arrived in Canada to store the new evidence there. He had had no time to sort through it due to the fact that he was piloting the plane to North America and that left him no opportunity to get a closer look at it.

Originally he hadn’t planned on piloting the plane but the one that should have brought him back to America had been overbooked and he was too late to get a seat.

Luckily he had heard some steward talk about a plane that should leave for Canada whose pilot had just gotten himself a serious case of the flu.

The replacement pilot could only be there with two hours delay.

Weighting his options he had quickly acted upon impulse. He had piloted several planes for that flying agency and so he had swiftly addressed to the steward and had arranged himself on the job. It was his ticket back to North America.

So now that he was in Canada he would allow himself three hours of rest before leaving again. Three hours wasn’t much and clearly not as much as he needed but he just didn’t have another chance.

They had to get to the remaining evidence soon. The Centre wouldn’t lie low for much longer.

He would have to prepare the next lair and quickly get his hunters there for it would be where the next part of the evidence was stored and where he would meet with Parker.

But right now he would allow himself to sleep for a short time.

~~~~~~~

Jarod huffed tiredly.

Upon arriving in Houston he had quickly sent the first clue as to his new whereabouts. He was sure that Parker would be here soon.

She knew that their next evidence-retrieval would take place here so she would hurry to get here as soon as possible.

He had prepared everything so now all he had to do was waiting for her to arrive.

~~~~~~~

She was tapping her foot on the floor impatiently. This idiot of a clerk just didn’t get his job done properly.

“Look… Carl,” she snapped, looking at his name-tag, “Are you capable of doing your job and getting us a car or not?”

“Yes, ma’am. You will just have to wait a few more minutes and your car will be here,“ the clerk cowered slightly behind the counter. The woman in front of him was really intimidating.

“You told us so twenty minutes ago. Get that car here NOW!” she growled dangerously at him.

“Yes, ma’am,” he said and hurried toward the back of the office.

Sydney stepped up to her and put a reassuring hand onto her shoulder. “Parker, relax. Jarod won’t be there. As always, he will be long gone by the time we arrive. I don’t know why you are so tense.”

Parker growled at him but before she was able to reply the clerk came back, a key in his hand.

“Ma’am, your car is here now,“ he said.

“About time,” she snapped.

“Will you please sign here now,“ he asked, giving her a sheet of paper.

She snatched the key and pen out of his hand and quickly signed the paper.

Turning on her heel, she strolled out toward the car with Sydney following her.

~~~~~~~

She got out of the car and looked around.

Parker knew that Jarod was here, somewhere close. He was probably watching. She wondered how he would try to get her away from the team. Tough only Sydney, Sam and two other sweepers were with her, she still had to get away from the sweepers. They had left Broots in Blue Cove to do some more ‘background searching’.

“Miss Parker, shall we go in?” Sydney asked her.

She didn’t respond. Jarod had chosen a lair near the centre of the city. There were many people hurrying down the streets.

She scanned the area again. Suddenly there was a head poking out of the masses of people.

Jarod

He looked directly at her, making eye contact and returning her gaze. He smiled boyishly at her and nodded when he saw her questioning stare.

With a small motion of his head he let her know that he wanted her to follow him down the street.

“Parker?” Sydney asked from behind.

‘How do I get away from the team, Jarod?’ she asked herself silently.

‘… when you come to analyze the lair and such we can get you away from the team for some time. It’s not like they are always close on your heals while pursuing me,’ Jarod’s words suddenly rang in her head.

Jarod had spoken those words to her during the first stage of planning this odyssey. So, play the game and get away during the hunt…

“Look, there’s Jarod!” she called, quickly drawing the attention of the whole team on the direction she was pointing out with her arm.

Parker started running and she could hear at least two pairs of feet behind her.

All of a sudden there was a squeal of tires and a black town car sped past her.

~~~~~~~

Jarod jogged down the street. He had heard Parker’s shout and knew that she was pursuing him. Everything was moving just like he had anticipated.

When he heard a squeal of tires he frowned and looked over his shoulder.

It was then that he saw a black town car speeding toward him.

He swore and accelerated his jog to a full-speed running.

Jarod looked around and quickly judged the situation. He changed his direction and ran over toward the nearby mall.

The town car quickly gained on him. Jarod clenched his teeth and drew all his strength together. He had to get into the mall. There he would have at least a realistic chance of getting away.

Luckily he had chosen a lair near the city centre otherwise he wouldn’t stand the slightest chance of escaping.

Jarod raced up the steps to the mall when the car jerked to a halt and several sweepers jumped out, running toward the steps, too.

Quickly sprinting through the mall Jarod dodged people getting into his way.

He could hear the sweepers shouting behind him but he kept on running.

Jarod desperately scanned the area while speeding down the mall. He contemplated the few ways of escape, gritting his teeth at the poor prospect.

Blood was rushing through his veins and he frantically kept going.

There was a second entrance he was speeding towards the opposite site from where he had entered the mall. When he neared that door, he saw the black town car in front and Willie came running into the mall from there.

Skidding to a near halt, Jarod took a look around. Seeing a sign indicating the staircase, he quickly sped off again and ran towards that door.

It was his only chance.

He burst through the door and raced down the stairs.

Going up was out of question for he didn’t stand a chance of getting away from there.

So down it was, to the basement. The sign had said that there was a parking garage down there.

He could only hope that the remaining Centre agents in the car wouldn’t be there first and wait for him to get there.

He broke through the door on the next level and scanned the area.

It was indeed a garage. He ducked behind cars while running.

His mind raced, calculating the ways of escape down here.

Car exit… negative for it would be blocked by sweepers.

Staircase… negative for he just came down there and the sweepers were following him.

Going further down… again negative because the staircase ended on the level he was on now.

Emergency exit…

Emergency exit!

He looked around for a sign of that sort of exit and… yes… there it was in the corner. He ran off towards that sign.

He had nearly reached the door when the sweepers burst through the staircase exit.

Jarod accelerated once again, finding a strength he didn’t think he possessed. He reached the door just when he heard the sweepers crocking their guns.

“Jarod! Freeze!” They shouted.

One hand on the handle Jarod skidded to a stop. He clenched his teeth and closed his eyes.

“Turn around!” One sweeper ordered.

Jarod slowly turned, his hand still lingering on the handle. There were five sweepers standing near the staircase with their guns pointed at him.

Willie stood in front of the others, a smug grin on his face.

‘He spends too much time with Lyle,’ Jarod thought incoherently.

His mind raced.

He had to prevent them from bringing him back to the Centre.

Once they had him in the Centre, everything would be over.

Getting away during the transport was highly unlikely because they would certainly drug him to keep him from doing exactly that.

He stood directly next to the wall, his back pressed against it.

He had to get away.

…Emergency exit….

…Emergency…

“Get away from the wall and come over to us, slowly,“ Willie ordered.

…Emergency…

…Exit…

Jarod clenched his teeth.

Parker needed him. They needed to execute the plan. He focused on Willie and his eyes went small.

Willie kept observing Jarod closely. When Jarod dropped his head and let his shoulders fall in defeat, Willie grinned victoriously. The sweepers relaxed slightly and dropped their aim to some extent.

‘I’m sorry, Parker,’ Jarod thought and closed his eyes.

Then he tensed and pushed the door open with all his strength.

From then on, everything went as if in slow motion and shots rang through the air.



To be continued…