Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 33


Trying to ground the conspirators


Jarod sighed and walked towards his car.

Getting the box he carried under his arm had been even more difficult than he had expected.

Catherine’s old friend had been very careful and suspicious. It had taken him quite some time to convince her that he was one of the two persons Catherine had told her about who would come to reclaim the box.

In the end it had been a photo of Parker and himself that had convinced the woman to finally hand the box over.

The last few days had been stressful.

After his meeting with Parker in the small café, he had quickly flown to Canada to prepare everything and to store the Scrolls and other things there. It wasn’t a question of ‘if’ they would come to that place but rather a question of ‘when’.

From there, he had hurried to the west coast, just as Parker had suggested, doing a pretend to distract the Centre and had then hurried to Europe. Though he had left Germany only six days ago he had arrived in Frankfurt yesterday evening again.

Now that he had the box with the evidence he was already back on his way to America.

Time was already racing against them and so he couldn’t stay here any longer.

The evidence he had just now received would have to wait until he was in the plane before he could get a glance on it.

He got into his car and sped of toward the airport.

~~~~~~~

She sat in her office together with Sydney and Broots. They were currently discussing the things they had found in Jarod’s latest “lair”. He had complied with her suggestion to pick a pretend on the west coast. By now, she was sure that he would be in Europe trying to get the evidence hidden there.

The rest of them, though, were trying to keep the Centre from getting too suspicious.

Their extracurricular activities were not mentioned anywhere near the Centre but Parker knew that Broots had succeeded in finding something about the places on the list. He had yet to hand his information over but she was confident that he would be able to do that soon without the Centre noticing it.

They had all put on a façade for the Centre. A façade that reached only as deep as the Centre looked. Under that façade they were busily planning and there was also an anxious feeling left.

They had also started to take precautions for a hasty departure.

Parker hoped that this departure could be delayed for some more time but she got the feeling that it wouldn’t be possible any longer soon.

The atmosphere in the Centre was tense and it was even getting worse.

The PTB’s didn’t trust them anymore. Not that this was something new but the fact that they were right with their suspicious made it more dangerous for all of them.

Parker herself was secretly guarded by one of Lyle’s sweepers around the clock. They tried to stay in the background and not attract any attention but she saw them nonetheless.

At the moment that didn’t matter but when Jarod was back and they were to go to the last two places to get the remaining evidence, they would have to lose these sweepers first. She was curious as to what Jarod had in mind to get her away from them.

She was startled out of her secret musing by a knock on the door. Looking over to Broots and Sydney, she frowned.

“What?” she then called loudly.

Her secretary came into the office. “Miss Parker, Mr. Raines wants to speak you in his office.”

“He will have to wait. I already have a meeting,” she told her secretary curtly.

“Mr. Raines gave specific orders for you to come now,“ came the reply.

She growled quietly and got up. “I think we will have to continue this meeting later,“ she said to Sydney and Broots.

~~~~~~~

“Well?” she asked, storming into Raines office. “You just interrupted an important meeting we had to track the lab-rat. What is so important that I had to leave this meeting right away?”

“Do you have… hhh… any information… hhh… as to his whereabouts?” Raines breathed.

“No, you kept us from drawing a conclusion,” she snapped.

“I’m not… hhh… happy with your latest… hhh… report on the subject,” he rasped.

She rolled her eyes. “Have you ever been? He got away again. That’s nothing new, so why the fuss?”

“It is important… hhh… that the… hhh… subject is found... hhh… and brought back here… hhh… as soon as possible,“ Raines said.

“And that again is nothing new. Do you have anything else to say or can I go back to doing the work you are keeping me from right now?” Parker asked, already turning on her heel and strolling back to the door.

“Be careful… hhh… with… hhh… what you… hhh… do, Miss Parker!” the chairman rasped.

She stopped in her tracks and turned again. Her muscles tightened and she strode back to his desk. She rounded the table and stood over Raines. Bending towards him she invaded his personal space.

“Was that a threat?” she whispered dangerously.

“Consider it a… hhh… warning,“ he gasped back.

Her eyes got smaller and she neared him even more. “Be careful with whom you are threatening,” she said, a hazardous undertone in her voice.

With that she abruptly straightened and turned once more. This time she strolled out of the office without being stopped again.



To be continued…