Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 32


Background searches


“Sir, there is a problem,“ Willie announced, coming into the room.

Raines drew a deep breath out of his oxygen tank. “Hhhh… What is it?”

“She managed to slip away,” Willie said.

“Hhhh WHAT?!” Raines drew another furious breath.

“The sweeper in charge just called me. She managed to get away.”

“Was she aware… hhh… of the… observation?” Raines asked.

“No. The sweepers were very careful!” Willie stated.

“Then how… hhh… did she get away?” Raines roused.

“They are searching through the streets right now,” Willie proclaimed.

“I want her… hhh… found!”

“Yes, sir,” Willie said and turned around to walk out of the office.

“And Willie… hhh… you better not… hhh… fail!” Raines threatened.

Willie nodded and slipped out of the office. He clenched his jaw. Raines was furious and his own head was at stake. He was frightened. Raines had openly threatened him. He swallowed and walked on.

~~~~~~~

He walked up to his boss office and went in after knocking once.

“Sir!”

“What?” Lyle turned around in his chair.

“I just came back from the house,“ the sweeper acknowledged.

“And?” Lyle asked impatiently.

“We didn’t find anything suspicious,” Steve replied, managing not to squirm under the gaze of his boss.

“Not acceptable! I want the ‘whole’ house searched!” Lyle screamed.

“Sir, we ‘did’ search the whole house. There was nothing of importance,” Steve repeated bravely.

Lyle breathed furiously. His eyes threw flames at his sweeper and he tried to calm down.
“I want to know what she is up to. Inform Mr. Rains of the result of your search!” Lyle ordered.

Steve gulped down his fear and nodded. He quickly fled the office and left Lyle alone in it.

In an unconscious gesture, Lyle rubbed the stump of his missing thumb which had started throbbing with pain again.

He went to the desk and retrieved a statue standing on the desk. He toyed with the item in his hand and then in a swift motion turned on his heel and threw it against the wall where it shattered with a loud thud.

~~~~~~~

Broots typed feverishly at his computer. His hands flew over the keys.

He had just gotten on a hot tail concerning the list Parker and Jarod had given him. There obviously was information stored in the mainframe about these places.

It had taken him some time to find a hint that these places existed but he had found it in the end. Now he just had to get into the files.

He clicked on one of them and a window popped open telling him to enter a password.

Swearing softly, he closed it and tried another approach. He needed to get into the system behind the files to decode the structure.

He took a sip at his coffee and went on.

“Gotcha,” he smiled when he reached the place he needed to get to.

Soon he started chuckling. The Centre had used one of the decrypting programs he had developed for them.

Their own bad luck.

He started typing again. The information they searched for lay just beyond the next corner.
A corner that he intended to round in the next few minutes.

~~~~~~~

Sydney sighed.

There was nothing he could do but wait at the moment.

It was Sunday and he used the time to skip through some psychiatric material. He had read bits and pieces during the afternoon but he couldn’t recall what they had been about let alone what exactly they said.

He angrily put the magazine he had tried to concentrate upon away and got up from his seat. Walking into the kitchen, he poured some water into a glass and gulped it down.

Annoyed he put the glass away again and stalked out of the kitchen. He hated this.

Waiting without doing a damn thing. He could do nothing but wait and it annoyed the hell out of him.

The fact that Jarod hadn’t made any contact with him after his forced departure from Parker’s, two days ago, only added up to his irritation.

It was not like the pretender couldn’t look after himself but he was worried nonetheless.

The lives of his best and dearest friends stood at stake; Not only Jarod’s but also Parker’s, Broots’ and his daughter’s lives.

Hopefully everything would be over soon!


To be continued…