Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 31


Secret meetings


She shot another glance over her shoulder to make sure no one was following her and strode into the small café.

The riddle had indeed been solved shortly after Broots and his daughter arrived.

Debbie had given her a letter and upon closer examination she saw Jarod’s handwriting. She chuckled when she saw it. He had obviously found a way to communicate with her. Calling would have been easier but well, as long as she heard from him, the method wasn’t important.

He had asked her to come to the small café at the coast nearly an hours drive away from Blue Cove. He also warned her to keep an eye on the rear-view mirror and shake off the sweepers following her. Jarod had asked her to bring his duffle bag, laptop, DSA player and also the Scrolls and Catherine’s letter with her.

The sweepers had given her a hard time. She had hoped to get rid of them earlier but in the end the plan she had formulated in her head had worker perfectly.

When she had returned Debbie in the evening she had asked Broots to hand her the spare key to his car. They had agreed upon a street where he would park the car the next day.

The car with the sweepers had been following her around, always two or three cars behind her. Her plan had been built on that detail. Luckily, Centre policies didn’t change much.

Knowing her way around in town, she was aware of the different ways the traffic lights were suited with each other. There was one particular street that fit perfectly into her plan; Dover Avenue. After stopping on the one traffic light and then rolling on with the stream only the first two or three cars would be able to cross the next intersection before that light switched to red. She had intended to be one of these few cars and get rid of the sweepers that way and her plan had been successful.

After going on she had quickly made her way to Broots car which was parked two streets farther way and had switched cars there.

The rest of her travel had been easy. She had repeatedly looked if there was anyone following her but there had been no sign for it.

So now, she sat in the café waiting for Jarod to show up. She had arrived on time but Jarod had yet to join her. Parker growled silently. Twenty minutes too late.

Suddenly Jarod stepped up to her table and quietly slid into the seat opposite hers.

She drew a deep breath, relieved that he was here.

“Nice idea with Debbie as messenger. Are you ok?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Jarod huffed.

“When was the last time you slept?” she asked when she saw the circles under his eyes.

He just shrugged. “Sorry that I’m late but I had to make sure that there was no one following you. Did the give you a hard time?”

“I had supposed that much,” now it was her time to shrug.

He nodded. “Thanks that you gave me a head start when Lyle showed up! What did he want?”

“They obviously got suspicious. Jar, I’m not sure how long we will be able to stay in Blue Cove undetected!” she told him worriedly.

“I know,” he sighed. “I will try to contact Sydney and you will have to tell Broots to be ready to vanish any moment. They should pack a bag with things they want to take with them. We will give them a code word. Whenever we call them or contact them anyway else and say that word they must go! We will agree upon a meeting point and then vanish completely to get the plan in motion from the distance then.”

“Well, where do we go from here in that case?” she asked.

Jarod took a sip from the cup of coffee the waiter had brought before he showed up. “I have some ideas. Those places will be safe.”

“Where?”

“There is a place in Canada that I have in mind. That is my personal favourite. I don’t think the Centre has any serve connections to Canada and they certainly don’t know about that place,“ Jarod replied.

“Ok, but what if we are not able to meet at the point we agreed upon to get to Canada?” she probed further.

“Let’s hope that won’t be a problem; but if so, Broots and Sydney should hole up somewhere around that place. I will prepare a cell phone that I will give to Sydney so we can contact them in that case,“ Jarod explained.

Parker closed her eyes and sighed.

“Hey,“ Jarod called quietly. “You ok?”

“As much as I can be,“ she shrugged. “I’m afraid,” she acknowledged after some moments of silence.

“I am too,” Jarod admitted.

“Well, and what now?” Parker questioned.

“I won’t come back to your house. It’s too dangerous. We have to retrieve three more hidden things from Catherine’s lot; Two here in the States and one in Europe. Just as we planned, we will retrieve those in America together. Before we can do that I will do a small pretend so the Centre knows that I’m in the States. I will then head east to Europe and get the evidence stored there. After I come back, we can tend the other two places,“ Jarod explained.

“Ok,” she nodded. “Have you already picked a pretend?”

“No, why?” he wanted to know.

“Pick one on the west coast. Sydney already got suspicious because you seemed to stick around Blue Cove. He won’t be a problem anymore of course but I don’t know if the PTB’s were aware of that and we surely shouldn’t take any chances!” Parker explained.

Jarod nodded.

“When will you be back?” she asked.

Jarod thought for a moment while sipping at his mug. “Five days at best. More likely six,” he answered.

“Hurry Jarod! We don’t have much more time.”

“I know,” he sighed. “How far did Broots get with the instructions?”

“I saw him again yesterday evening, when I brought Debbie back to him. He had been working the whole day. He said that he would need some more time.” Parker took a sip from her coffee, too. “Why did you want me to bring the Scrolls and my mother’s letter along?”

“I thought that maybe I should take them with me. I’m not sure if they are safe in your house any longer. The Centre might search rather closely,” Jarod stated.

“Might be not a bad idea,“ she concluded.

Jarod took a look at his watch and huffed. “Look, I better get going now. The longer we wait, the more dangerous it will get! Can you give me my things and the Scrolls and the letter?”

“Ok, come on.”

The quickly left the café and went to the car Parker came with.

She retrieved the things out of the trunk and handed them to Jarod.

He put them on the ground and waited for her to close the lid. When Parker turned toward him, he drew her into an embrace. She relaxed and hugged him back. Jarod’s chin rested on her head she nuzzled her face into his chest.

They stood there for several minutes until Jarod finally drew away. “Be careful, you hear that?” he told her silently, looking into her eyes.

“I will be if you promise me the same,” she said returning his gaze.

Jarod nodded serenely. “I will,” he drew her toward him again and dropped a light kiss on her forehead. Then he withdrew and took a step back. He reached down and picked up the bag. “I will see you soon!”

Parker just looked at him, while he reluctantly turned and walked away.


To be continued…