Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 3


Reactions


When she came to the end of her mother’s letter, tears were streaming down her face.
Though the words swimming in front of her eyes, she tried to read it again but she just couldn’t concentrate on the words. Slowly the letter fell out of her hands onto the table.

The meaning of the letter was repeating itself all over in her head.
‘She knew she would fail and this is her goodbye’, her mind screamed at her again and again.

“Oh mom,” she choked out, burying her head in her hands.

“It was her goodbye and her promise for the future,” a deep voice mumbled from behind.

She spun around and found herself face to face with Jarod. Not succeeding in controlling her emotions and angry that he had again found her in her most vulnerable; she did the only thing she knew to protect herself:
“Why are you here? Came to gloat?” she lashed out at the pretender.

“No. I just thought that you shouldn’t be alone after reading this. You may need a friend,” he replied calmly as if someone had just asked him a polite question.

“A friend?” she huffed. “Oh, yeah, what a glorious thought. I sure would call ‘you’ in that case,“ she growled.

In a fleeting moment she saw pain flitter across the pretender’s face. In her own ordeal she ripped out once more, feeling a strange satisfaction in hurting Jarod. “We sure should be considered close friends. You can even call us buddy’s, can’t you,… rat-boy?” she snarled.

Jarod knew that she was only trying to protect herself from the pain but her comments hurt nonetheless.
He briefly closed his eyes and when he opened them again, she was staring at him, a hostile expression on her face.
“I’m not here to gloat or hurt you. As I said, I came as a friend,“ he repeated in a soft tone.

“You don’t want to hurt me? Then why did you give me that letter?” she screamed picking up the item in question and waving it in front of Jarod’s face.

“You deserve to know the truth,“ he answered.

“I deserve to know the truth? How generous, Lord Jarod,“ she retorted.

Jarod knew they would get nowhere with this conversation so he turned on his heel, making his way to the back door. Tears started to roll down his cheeks. Just as he had so often, again he had the feeling that he had failed her. He just wanted her to know the truth but again he had only made the situation worse. Maybe he shouldn’t have bothered to come.

“Jarod, where the hell do you think you’re going?” she wanted to know, following him to the kitchen.

“Since you don’t want to talk and since you only act hostile towards me… I’m leaving,“ he responded.

“Oh, no. You don’t. Don’t you dare leaving me like this!” she challenged.

Jarod kept on walking as if he didn’t hear her protests. When Jarod didn’t respond her anger evaporated. She suddenly felt tired.

“Jarod?” Parker asked in a small voice, slumping against the counter and lowering her head.

Jarod stopped right in front of the back door, not turning around.
Taking his hesitance for a good sign, Parker took a small step in his direction.

“Tell me where you got the letter. Please, I need to know,“ she pleaded.

“I got it from your fath… Mr. Parker’s safe,” he told her finally turning to face her.

“You had it all these years since before the incident in the Dover Bank and never bothered to show it to me?” Her head snapped up. New rage flared inside her. Though her vision was blurred by tears that thought brought, she charged at him, an angry growl escaping her throat.

Jarod easily blocked her movement after realizing what she was up to.
“And you want to be a friend! Liar!” she accused and tried to punch him. She was trying to hit him repeatedly but he blocked her every move. Then firmly grasping her shoulders, he shook her.

“Parker! Stop that! Are you insane? Don’t you trust me at least a little bit? I didn’t have the letter back than. I wouldn’t have withhold it from you! You should know that!” He was angry now. “I’m going outside now onto the porch. When you regained some of your senses and when you quit throwing a tantrum every two seconds, you can come out and ask that question again,“ he scolded. He let go of her shoulders and strode out without another word, slamming the back door shut behind him.

Parker stood in the kitchen dazed and shaking.

She had never seen Jarod that angry and she realized that she had been frightened. She wasn’t scared that he would hurt her but of his general appearance. He was intimidating when he wanted to be.

‘He dumped me like a spoiled child,’ she realized.

Instead of anger another emotion welled up in her at that thought. Embarrassment and shame.
She had in deed acted like a spoiled child. She had accused him of things and didn’t even give him the benefit of the doubt. This was Jarod… he deserved at least that much. He had never, in all the time they had known each other, lied to her or withheld information. Especially not such concerning her mother’s death.

She returned to the living room. She had to think and she had to calm down.
Sitting down on the couch again she pondered some more.

Soon she was angry at herself. Jarod was not the person to be angry at. He was the first person available and so he was the one having to face her wrath. He had been there to help and she had lashed out at him without a second thought. ‘And it wasn’t even the first time,’ she acknowledged. He had been there for her before, in situations similar to this one, and she always took it out on him. She knew, she had to apologize for what she’d done.

Her eyes were drawn back to the letter, still lying on the table. She picked it up and reread it.

… and I know that you will make me very proud!

‘The person I have become wouldn’t make you proud, mom. You would be disappointed. The way I just minutes ago ripped into Jarod…,’ she sighed.

“But you realized your fault and now it’s up to you to undo it,” her mother’s voice whispered in her mind.

‘Mom?’ Parker asked. Her head shot up when she heard her mother’s voice inside of her.
But she was greeted with silence. “Great. Not very communicative,“ Parker muttered.

She stood up and went into the kitchen to make coffee. She knew she was trying to postpone her encounter with Jarod but she couldn’t help it.

She huffed and took two mugs out of the cupboard. While she waited for the coffee she took a look out of the window. Seeing that the sun was about to set she was amazed about how long she must have been in the living room, pondering the situation.
Wondering briefly if Jarod would still be there, she filled the mugs with the steaming hot liquid.

Taking a deep breath she set off for the door, a cup in each hand.



To be continued…