Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 28


Expanding the group


“Hong Kong, LA, Moskau, Africa, Australia, somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane, Italy near Rome, Brazil, Africa and so on and so on,“ Jarod sighed.

“What do all these places have in common?” she asked.

“I have no idea,” he groaned. The headache had returned some time ago. His head was throbbing and he was tired. The excitement about their new discovery had abated with the same speed the headache returned.

“Ok, let’s get that straight. My mom wrote down these places or better made a list of them. They should help us to destroy the Centre…,“ she paused, thinking.

Jarod stared at her. They had started to decode the list they had found earlier in the studio. There were about twelve places on the list. Now they were trying to determine what these places had to do with the Centre and why Catherine had found them important enough to hide.

“I can think of some things,” Parker continued her earlier statement.

Jarod raised his eyebrows expectantly.

“First, there is the possibility that these places contain more hidden evidence but there might be another connection the Centre has with the places from the list. Another relationship comes to my mind. One that I think more likely...,“ she paused again. “The places might be subsidiary companies.”

Jarod straightened. “You may be right. There was a research station in the Arctic; why not at these places? We know that there is one in Africa…,“ Jarod started.

“LA has one, too,” Parker interrupted. “They are responsible for your business dealings on the west coast. I always thought that they were also responsible for those made in Asia. Obviously I was wrong,“ she contemplated.

“The net seems to be far tighter than I thought. It’s is more or less world wide if you are correct with that assumption. There are at least several strategic points; Australia, China, Russia, Central Europe, Africa, and on both American continents,” Jarod pointed out.

“I wonder why I don’t know about these,” Parker frowned.

“I didn’t know about them, too. Up to now, I never found anything about those in the Centre’s mainframe.”

“Well, there has to be some remark about them,“ Parker shook her head.

“Most likely there is, if you know where to search,” he tailed off.

Parker nodded slightly.

“We have to assume that there are more places than this list consists of, though,“ Jarod voiced his concern.

“You’re right. Mom made this list some thirty years ago. Who knows what business the Centre has done since that day,” Parker growled.

“We have to get a hand on a list with ‘all’ places where subsidiary companies are. If we want to destroy the Centre, we must do it consequently. There mustn’t remain some cooperation to be able to keep up dirty business!” Jarod looked determinedly at her.

“Can you get us into the mainframe?”

“I sure can but I don’t think we would find anything there,” he shrugged.

Parker looked at him puzzled.

“You know, ever since I broke out of the Centre, I’ve been hacking into the mainframe to get to information. I ran many searches. I never found a thing about those,” he indicated the list with a trip of his head.

“You didn’t know where to search…,“ Parker whined.

Jarod smiled slightly and nodded. “Yes, and that problem is still present. I might be able to get a hand on them eventually but that would need time, much time.”

Parker sighed deeply. “And I fear that’s exactly what we don’t have.”

Jarod frowned, silently watching her. “A few weeks ago you told me that time was not of essence.”

“That was a few weeks ago, Jar. Many things have changed since than. Or better since the Scroll’s ‘departure’ from the Oxford University. The PTB’s are suspicious! I don’t think we can keep this under the surface for much longer,” she looked meaningfully at him.

“I thought so,” Jarod gritted his teeth. “But we will need some more time to get everything rolling!”

“How long?” She asked.

“At least a week! That’s the absolute minimum. Two would be more realistic. Depends on how soon we can get that complete list and the other evidence that is hidden,” Jarod mused.

“Shit! That’s long. We need to cut it short.”

“No, we need to change the course of action.”

”What do you have in mind?” she questioned pointedly.

“We need to think about getting other persons into the plan…,“ he let the sentence hang in the air.

“Sydney,” she stated. He was the first person that sprang to her mind, a person they could trust.

“And most importantly Broots. We will need him for this list. He knows his way around the mainframe and he might be able to get to places I don’t know of. Plus, we will spare time when you and I can concentrate on getting the remaining evidence. Maybe we are even able to get some more out of the mainframe with Broots and Angelo’s help,” Jarod said.

“Angelo?” Parker was doubtful.

Jarod grinned. “He understands more than most people give him credit for. He helped me ever since I broke out.”

“He what...?” Parker’s lower jaw hit the floor. Her eyes were wide with surprise and her eyebrows had long reached the hairline.

Jarod chuckled. “Don’t be so surprised. The fact that Angelo can’t express himself in words has nothing to do with his abilities!”

“Damn, and we even included him into the search sometimes,“ Parker growled and slapped a hand over her face.

Jarod remained silent and grinned.

“Ok, if we involve Sydney, Broots and Angelo into our little war, what exactly will be our task?” she frowned at him.

“We will have to stay under radar for as long as possible. All of you will have to go to work as usual. I won’t stay here for much longer. I’ll try to get a room near your house but I think it will be better if I’m not around too often. The Centre will keep your house under observation soon. Considering the places where the last hidden things from your mother are, I would say that we can go to the places here in the States together. The one place in Europe I will have to access alone,” Jarod contemplated.

“We will have to get Angelo, Broots and Sydney to safety once things start to get ugly,” Parker said firmly.

“Of course! I don’t intent to leave them to what will come,” Jarod stated.

“Ok, then let’s do it,“ Parker nodded firmly.

“Give them both a call and get them over here,” Jarod said.

“Now?” Parker asked surprised.

“The earlier the better,” Jarod shrugged. “I think I will prepare something for dinner. Would you help me after you called them?”

Parker looked over to Jarod. She could see that he was tired. “Are you really up to it? We can do that tomorrow,” she said concern written all over her face.

Jarod smiled tiredly. “No, I will be ok. We better get that done now,” he said determinedly and walked to the direction of the kitchen.



To be continued…