Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 26


Getting back to his senses


He woke up to the sensation of someone gently stroking his cheek. It was a light touch but the repeating pattern of it got through to him in the end.

When he tried to open his eyes, they felt as if heavy weights held them down. Not giving up, he tried it once again, with the same result.

He settled down just to try it again shortly afterwards. His head was pounding and he felt as if an elephant was standing on his skull, attempting to burst it into thousands of little fragments.

The pressure was increasing slightly and again he stopped his attempts to open his eyes.

The movements continued and he concentrated on it, only to be lulled back to sleep without realizing it.

~~~~~~~

She hadn’t slept much. She had sat there on the couch, his head in her lap, caressing his face.

Just twice had she dozed of for a short time.

He looked as if he at least slept peacefully. Still the memory of the last night frightened her. She had felt so helpless.

It was Friday. She would have to call the Centre to let them know that she wouldn’t come. They would be suspicious; sure they would but she would not, under any circumstances, leave her friend alone with this ordeal. They were in this damn thing together and that wouldn’t change.

He had helped her so much, not only the last few weeks since everything had started but also in the years before.

Maybe it was finally her turn in helping him and repaying some of her debt to him.

She would call Sydney later and tell him to cover for her. Perhaps the Centre wouldn’t question that.

But she would tend to that later, once Jarod was awake again and she was able to determine how bad a state he was in.

~~~~~~~

He roused again. The constant caress was still there.

Letting out a deep breath he tried to open his eyes yet again.

~~~~~~~

She felt him stir slightly and waited what was about to come.

Seeing his eyelids flutter she huffed slightly relived.

~~~~~~~

His eyelids were heavy. They still felt as if the were glued shut. But he kept working on prying them open.

Light invaded his eyes and he shut them again. Everything felt out of order. Only the tender caress resumed.

Again he breathed deeply and opened his eyes. He moaned when the light attacked his senses and he tried to block it out by shutting the lids once more.

“Shh, easy Jarod, easy,“ Parker hushed.

“Melina?” Jarod rasped.

“Yeah,… yeah it’s me,” she replied.

“What…?” Jarod started.

“Shh. You had some kind of fit,“ she told him.

Jarod didn’t reply but slowly opened his eyes again. This time he was prepared for the bright light. He looked up at her.

“You look like hell, Parker,“ he croaked.

“Thanks, Jar,” she replied sarcastically. “But you look worse!”

“If I look half as bad as I feel, that’s ‘the’ understatement of the year,“ he grinned and then winced at that small movement of his muscles.

“You need something against the pain!” Parker stated firmly.

“Nothing to object to that,” he said tiredly.

She gently lifted his head from her lap and entangled herself to get up. Though she was very careful he winced at the small movement.

“Stay put! I’ll be back in a minute,” she ordered and was gone.

“I won’t go anywhere,“ he mumbled.

When she returned, she had a glass of water in the one and two pills in her other hand.
She crouched down in front of him. “Here,” she said and offered the treat.

Jarod roused somewhat trying to ignore the pain and took the pills. “Thanks,” he said and let himself drop back onto the couch carefully.

“You’re welcome. You stay right here. I’ll be back soon!”

“Where do you go?” he asked groggily.

“I’m going to call Sydney and tell him to cover my ass.”

“You have to go to the Centre, you know that,” Jarod argued awake now. He sat up and groaned.

“Jarod, I won’t leave you now!” she shot back.

“You will have to.”

“Forget it. I will stay and that’s final,“ she snared.

“Parker, be reasonable! The whole Centre searches for the one who has the Scrolls…”

She interrupted, “…and they don’t have proof that this one is you.”

“That may be but they are suspicious. I had a hard time to get back to America as it was. Just imagine how suspicious they will get when you don’t turn up to work suddenly…,“ he let the sentence hang in the air.

She huffed. “I don’t want you to be alone.”

“Come here,“ he said and stretched out his hand. When she took it, he drew her onto his lap. “That’s sweet, but you won’t have a choice. Maybe you can come back earlier than usual. It’s Friday after all,” he suggested.

She leaned into him. “Will you be ok, when I go?” she asked with a small voice.

“Yes, I will be alright! And now get moving. The sooner you go to work, the earlier you can come back.”

~~~~~~~

Parker came back down and poked her head through the door leading to the living room to observed Jarod.

She walked over to the couch. He lay there, with his eyes closed and she could practically see him forcing his concentration upon his breathing to divert it from the pain.

Gently putting a hand on his shoulder she whispered, “You ok?”

Jarod cracked one eye open and smiled slightly at her. “The pills are slowly starting to have an effect,“ he answered.

“That’s good. You think you will be ok this way or do we need to get you to a doctor?”

“No, it’s just a major headache. It will be better soon and when you come back we can start on the Scrolls again. That’s what started the damn thing in the first place,” he said

“What do you mean?” she asked, frowning.

“When you read that one passage out loud, it was as if opening a door to a secret chamber.” He opened his eyes and looked at her. “You were the key to the memory. There was some kind of lock and you were the key,” he explained.

She still frowned.

He sat up slightly and put his weight on his elbows. “I remember, Parker. I remember what your mother told me.”

“You mean…?” she didn’t complete the sentence.

“Yes, we will have everything that we need soon and we will be able to complete your mother’s plan,” he smiled at her and held out a hand for her to take.

She laid her hand in his and he again gently drew her over to him. “It’s finally time for the Centre to go down,” he told her.

She breathed deeply and closed her eyes for a second. Looking at him, she smiled. When she saw the look of pain and fatigue in his eyes she gently pushed him back into a lying position. “You will have to recover first, though. You have to rest! Lie back down.”

He smiled and complied with her wish grateful to be in a horizontal position once more.

She crouched down in front of him. “Good boy,” she cooed and bent over to give him a kiss onto his forehead.

She straightened and walked to the door. “I’ll be off then. See you later.”

He smiled up at her. “Till later.”

When he heard the door snap close, he relaxed fully into the couch. He knew he had to recover at least somewhat before they would be able to talk about his insight.

Not only would he need all his strength to be able to prepare their plan together with Parker but also to be better than the Centre.

The time to come would be uncertain and dangerous.



To be continued…