Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 24


The long journey back home


Lyle stormed into Raines office.

“Anything new… hhh… since we last… hhh… spoke?” Raines gasped.

“No, we didn’t find the Scrolls!” Lyle replied with a growl.

“Jarod must... hhh… have them! Hhhh… we need… hhh… to get them,“ Raines wheezed and looked directly at Lyle who stood in front of his desk.

“I know and we will get him, together with the Scrolls!”

“Miss Parker mustn’t… hhh… also know what… hhh… the Scrolls say. Keep Jarod… hhh… away from her! Hhh… at any costs!”

Lyle nodded. “I suppose that he is still in Europe. We have the airports under serve surveillance. He won’t get back to America!”

“Good!”

~~~~~~~

Six day and still no word from Jarod. He hadn’t made any contact after the call with its hidden meaning.

She had removed the bugs the next evening and searched for new ones twice a day. She had found a new set of bugs yesterday.

They would have to be even more careful from now on.

The thought that Jarod wasn’t back by now and that he hadn’t made contact worried her somewhat. She wasn’t really worried that something had happened but… she didn’t know what it was.

Her heart was telling her that everything was ok, but still…

Lyle returned empty handed yesterday. He had been furious. They hadn’t found the Scrolls. From what she could gather there had been someone who took the Scrolls to bring them back to some archaeology firm in Connecticut. But that someone never turned up in that firm to bring the Scrolls back.

The Centre was livid. They supposed Jarod had been the mysterious ‘someone’ but there was no proof of that. The man had introduced himself as Steve Taylor.

Lyle had searched every hotel, every train station and the airports but this person was nowhere to be found.

And so was Jarod. There weren’t any clues from him; he didn’t call Sydney nor did he call her.

The moment Lyle got back from Europe he came to her office to torment her. He reproached her that she still hadn’t caught the fugitive pretender and that it was time for him to come back and that she should work harder to get him.

She had listened passively and had made some side comment that he shouldn’t lecture her when he wasn’t able to fulfil his own mission. He had stormed off at her vicious remark.

Lyle still had the airports in Europe but also the ones in America under severe observation. He was confident that they would find Jarod when he stepped out of the shadows to get back to America.

Parker on the other hand was sure that Jarod would stay in Europe for some time to stay hidden but she wasn’t sure how long the observation would continue. It surely would take some time to get back without being caught.

~~~~~~~

Jarod warily scanned the area from the car. There were several sweepers walking around the airport. He was sure that they had orders to stay in the background and not attract any attention but he saw them nonetheless.

In fact, he had easily spotted them when he first came here. They could have also carried big, red neon crosses on their backs and they wouldn’t be anymore hidden and striking than they were now.

Jarod put the car into gear and drove on. He would have to make some plans to get away from here in one piece and with the Scrolls in tow.

He had left France the day before. Now he was in Frankfurt, Germany, from where he wanted to get back to America.

By now he painfully regretted that he had chosen to hole up in Europe and that he didn’t go back to the States the moment he had the Scrolls.

The Centre wouldn’t have caught him then. They wouldn’t have been suspicious at that point but the moment they found out about the missing Scrolls they had put the airports under observation.

The last few days had been hard. Jarod had read the Scrolls countless times but it still didn’t trigger the memory of his conversation with Catherine Parker all those years back.

Though a great deal lay still hidden in the dark, some pieces had fallen into place after Jarod had read the Scrolls.

It didn’t surprise him anymore now that the Centre tried everything to keep Parker and himself away from each other.

What they didn’t know was that they had already failed.

Parker was not his enemy anymore. He smiled despite his problem at hand and then resumed his former musings.

It was no wonder that the Centre tried to keep them from the Scrolls.

Up to now everything the documents said had been right: He broke out of the Centre and it was Parker’s job to bring him back. He helped the week and abused while trying to find himself and he uncovered parts of both, his own and Parker’s, past.

Just as Catherine had promised in her letter, the Scrolls cleared the picture somewhat.

‘The Chosen will make use of his acquaintances to their goal. The Angel admonishes caution and it will be her duty to keep them safe.’

The documents would hopefully help them define their rolls in Catherine’s plan.

Still… He couldn’t remember anything from his talk with Catherine. He couldn’t shake the feeling that the Scrolls were important for him to remember something. But… there was a black wall he couldn’t overcome.

He had tried to set himself back into the position he was in when Catherine had talked to him, just like Sydney had proposed… It had been to no avail.

He didn’t get a single step further. He had reread the Scrolls time after time during his stay in France but it had brought him nowhere.

The only thing that he knew now was that he wanted to return ‘home’. He hoped that Parker would be able to see something that he couldn’t see.

But he had to get there first and it wouldn’t be easy with every airport crawling with sweepers waiting for him to show up.

~~~~~~~

“Wait a moment, sir. We will help you to get to your gate,” the clerk said in German. She had made the seating reservations for the man.

“Thank you but I can manage,” the man answered politely in her language.

“Ok, but you will have to meet with an orderly before boarding time. They will get you onto your plane safely,“ she replied.

Seeing the man was about to protest she firmly insisted, “Sorry, but these are the regulations. You will have to live with it.”

He huffed and nodded grimly. After that he turned towards the entrance of the waiting area.

~~~~~~~

They were clearly exaggerating the thing but he didn’t want to attract any attention otherwise he would have argued.

He was on his way to the boarding zone.

Spotting a sweeper he held his breath. ‘Now or never,’ Jarod thought and pushed himself further. He needed to get past the sweeper and now would be as good a time as ever to see if his disguise was sufficient.

He rolled past the sweeper openly, directly in front of his nose.

“Uh, excuse me, sir,” Jarod heard the sweeper address to him. He swallowed and kept wheeling as if he hadn’t heard the man.

“Sir!” The sweeper called again, more forcefully this time. Jarod’s mouth got dry. Should that guy have noticed anything? He readied himself for a fight.

“Sir, you lost something,“ the sweeper called after him.

Jarod stopped and turned around, plastering a fake smile on his face.

The sweeper came over and looked down to him. He had a small backpack in his hand that had fallen down without Jarod noticing it.

“Oh, thank you, sir,” Jarod said nearly choking on the words, reaching for the backpack.

“Not a problem,“ the sweeper replied.

Jarod put the backpack in his lap and started to push the wheelchair over to the gate.

When he reached his destination he released his breath and grinned slightly. Obviously his disguise ‘was’ good. That idiot of a sweeper hadn’t realized that the person he was searching for was standing or better sitting directly in front of him.

Well, Jarod had to say for the sweeper’s sake that it had taken some hours of careful planning and disguising for him to look like he did now.

He wore a wig with longer, fair hair that looked out under a baseball cap. He had coloured contact lenses, masking his usually brown eyes. On top of the blue contact lenses came a pair of glasses with a big, dark rim, diverting the attention further from his eyes. Not enough done with that he wore a small silver ear-ring and a long scar was on his right side, drawing from directly under his right eye, where his mole normally was, over his cheek.

He had also changed his clothing. He didn’t wear his usual black jeans and leather jacket but white denim trousers and a blue shirt.

The wheelchair did the rest.

A look in the mirror showed a different person but one could still see Jarod in that person. You only had to look hard enough.

Now that he had seen that his costume was good he relaxed and wheeled over to the gate to get to the orderly the clerk had insisted on.

He was on his way back to America after all.


To be continued…