Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 19


Preparations for the show


“I think I know where they are!” Mark stated.

Jarod sat up straight in his chair.

“Jarod? Are you still there?” he heard Mark’s voice.

“Yeah… but…,” he swallowed and breathed. “What did you just say?” Jarod wanted to know.

“I think I know where the Scrolls, you were searching for, are,” Mark repeated patiently.

“Whoa. Give me a minute to get that straight,“ Jarod said suddenly out of breath. His heart was beating overtime in his chest.

Mark chuckled. “Sorry to run you over like that but I thought you might be interested in it. I remember that they were quite important for you.”

“They are!” Jarod confirmed firmly. “So, tell me, where are they?”

“Well, I already told you that I got a job in England. I work for an Archaeology team at the Oxford University. About a week ago another team at the University got some very old documents…..”

“The Scrolls…,” Jarod murmured, interrupting Mark.

“Yes. I got a glimpse on them. One of the rolls is titled the Vespasian Scrolls.”

“Then they are the documents I’m searching for,“ Jarod said, signalling the waiter that he wanted to pay his bill.

“I thought so and I wanted to give you a head start. Back then I got the impression that it was very important for you to get these Scrolls, whatever they might be, in your hands.”

“It is, now more than ever,“ Jarod replied cryptically. “But wait a minute; you said you were giving me a head start. What do you mean?” Jarod asked irritated.

“In two days there will be a big article in one of the international Archaeology magazines about the documents. You will have to hurry if you want to have a look on them before that article is published,“ Mark clarified.

“Two days?” Jarod inquired and got up from his seat.

“Two days!” Mark confirmed.

“That will have to do it then! Ok, Mark. I’m on my way to the airport. See you in a few,” Jarod said and disconnected the line.

He would have to hurry, indeed. The moment the article was out, the place would be crawling with Centre agents. Though the Centre wasn’t generally interested in Archaeology, this would certainly catch their eye.

Additional to the time problem he had to find a way to get the Scrolls into his possession. He didn’t only want to have a glimpse on them. He needed to take them with him. He couldn’t allow for them to fall into the Centre’s hands again.

He would have to do some research but first he had to organize himself a flight to Europe.

~~~~~~~~

Jarod sat in the plane and tried to relax. He needed to wait for the plane to get on cruising height before he could boot up his laptop.

He had thought about pretending to be an airline pilot and piloting the plane himself but in that case he would have to wait with his research until he was in England. In the end this time could be of essence.

After leaving the restaurant he had hurried over to the Dover Town Bank where he had a safe-deposit box with some cash and several false passports.

He went under the name of James Horton during the flight. Afterwards he would slip into different roles just as he did all his life. For him, it didn’t make any difference under what name he went. He took all the passports he had stored in the bank with him so he could move without using a name twice. That way he would be able to get to and from Europe undetected.

He had made the passports for occasions like this one. He didn’t want to have the Centre on his heels so he even travelled with other forenames and various surnames.

Getting a ticket for the next plane to Europe hadn’t been a problem. The flight hadn’t been full and so Jarod had even managed to get a place without any neighbours in his row.

It had taken him some time to convince the woman on the ticket window but a small amount of cash and the explanation that he had some very important business to do that mustn’t fall into the hands of another person or even an opponent had done it in the end.

Now all he had to do was waiting for the plane to reach cruising height and then he could start his research.

All the while he wondered how the Scrolls had gotten to the university. He mentally added the question to several others he would have to ask Mark if he got the chance to meet with him.

“Dear passengers. Just now we have reached cruising height,“ a voice told the travellers over the loud speaker.

Jarod quickly loosened his belt and took out his laptop. He knew that he would be busy for the next few hours.

~~~~~~~~

By the time the plane landed it was somewhat around midnight in America and nearly six o’clock in the morning in Europe.

He landed in Amsterdam in the Netherlands and an hour later continued his journey to England.

He had used the short time he had to bridge in Amsterdam before taking the plane to London to get himself a room in a hotel in England.

Jarod had worked out a plan to get the Scrolls but he had yet to lay the final touches on it.

The moment he got to the hotel he continued setting the whole thing up.

He was tired but he knew he couldn’t allow himself to rest; not yet.

It was too important to finalize the preparations for his plan so he kept working to prepare everything for the day.

He only had today before the article was published. After that the Scrolls would be lost for Parker and him if he didn’t get them before that. If the Centre got them he doubted that they would ever get the possibility to lay hands on the documents again.

The next twelve hours or so would decide if he was able to get to the Scrolls at all and if he was able to get to them before the Centre did.

It was nearly ten o’clock in the morning when he finally completed his preparations. He drew a deep breath and got up from his seat.

Jarod left the laptop running and went over to the bed to finally get some rest. He was really tired and he wasn’t able to keep his eyes open any longer.

He stretched out on the mattress and was out like a light the moment his head touched the pillow.



To be continued…