Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 18


Dangers and a ray of Hope


She was on her way to the Centre yet again.

Jarod was still asleep. She hadn’t heard him come back last night and she had wanted to make sure that he was ok, so she had quietly sneaked into the guestroom to see him.

Reassured she had left afterwards.

Parker strode into her office. Broots and Sydney were waiting for her.

“Do we have anything on the lab rat?” she snapped at Broots. Of course they wouldn’t have anything of importance but she wouldn’t let that show. After all she, too, was a pretender.

“N-n-no, Miss Parker,” Broots stuttered.

“Well, then the meeting is concluded. Go on searching!” she dismissed them. Broots was already out of her office but Sydney stayed.

“You are quite fast with your orders, Miss Parker,” he said calmly.

Her gaze snapped to Sydney. “Do you have to add something? In that case spill it!” she growled.

“He called me last night…,” Sydney shrugged.

She rolled her eyes. “Where’s the news?” she asked exasperated.

“Something was different about him,“ Sydney said, looking at her.

Her head snapped up. “You have my attention. Spill it!” she ordered sharply.

~~~~~~~~

He woke up from a soft noise. He listened and heard Parker going down the stairs.

Jarod got up and showered. Ready to start the day, he booted up his laptop and accessed the internet. Afterwards he left for the kitchen to get himself some coffee.

It was still early but Parker had already left for the Centre. Her car was gone.

He sipped at his coffee when he heard his laptop chirping, indicating that he had received an eMail.

Jarod strolled slowly back into the living room and opened the Mail.

It was a video message from Angelo, showing Mr. Raines while he talked to Willy.

“Jarod… didn’t make… contact for a long time…,” Raines rasped. “Maybe… Miss Parker… is… deceiving the… Centre. I… want you to tap… Miss…Parker’s phone!”

“Yes, Mr. Raines,“ Willy nodded obediently.

“Dismissed,“ Raines wheezed.

Willy left the office and the video transmission stopped.

~~~~~~~

Jarod quickly looked at the time the message was sent. It had been tonight. The time code on the surveillance tape showed that the conversation had taken place yesterday evening.

Wheels were turning in his head.

He had to get going. The Centre was always fast when it came to setting bugs. Jarod got up and quickly strode over to the kitchen to rinse his mug.

He had to remove all evidence that he had been here. He was working fast, his heart beating overtime all the while.

Jarod was about to open the backdoor to get out when he heard someone pick the lock on the front.

He threw the duffle back and his laptop case over his shoulder and was out before the front door opened. Hasting over to the wood he ducked for cover.

~~~~~~~

“I don’t know. He sounded… desperate,“ Sydney said.

“Desperate?” She quirked an eyebrow. “Doesn’t fit into the profile. Normally he is just irritating and annoying,“ she replied, hiding her own worries under the façade of cursing Jarod.

“No. It was…,“ Sydney started, only to be interrupted by Broots who came back into the office.

“Broots, in case you haven’t noticed. In the entrance to my office there is something that is called a door. Normally you pause there, knocking and waiting for me to call you to come in,“ she snapped.

“S-s-s-sorry, Miss Parker but a package arrived a few minutes ago. I think it is from Jarod,” he stammered.

“You are not paid to think about such things,“ she snarled viciously.

“Y-y-y-yes, Miss Parker.”

“Well?”

“Well?” Broots asked back, uncertainly.

“Where is the package, Broots?” she growled impatiently.

“O-oh, sorry, I have it right here.”

Parker rolled her eyes and snatched the package out of his hand to open it.

It was indeed a hint from Jarod. Sydney stood next to her when she searched through the small box.

She already knew where the next lair was because Jarod had told her two days ago but this time she found the hint quite obvious.

“Broots, search in your computer for a Jarod whatever in Richmond, Virginia and get the Centre jet ready,” she ordered.

Sydney and Broots looked at her, stunned.

“What?” she asked, crocking her head dangerously.

“Why Richmond?” Broots asked and Sydney looked at her expectantly.

“In the package there is a Book from Edgar Allan Poe and a picture from a small jewellery. I will explain it further to you, Broots, because I know that you have no idea of art. The jewellery is a small egg. It is made by a Russian jeweller named Fabergé. As far as I know the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has a quite extensive collection of these, plus there is an Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond. So Richmond will be our first try,“ she said.

“What if there are other towns with Fabergé eggs and something about Edgar Allen Poe?” Broots questioned.

“What then? We won’t catch Boy genius. But that’s nothing new, is it?” she shot back.

“I guess not,“ Broots agreed.

Sydney stood over the package that had just arrived and analysed the hints.

“What?” Parker went over to him.

“Something is different.”

“We already had that, Freud,” Parker rolled her eyes.

“He changed his pattern,” Sydney said.

Parker frowned. “How so?”

“He’s sticking close to Blue Cove,” Syd explained.

“Maybe he’s getting home sick,“ Parker shrugged. She had to divert Sydney’s attention from that theme and in the evening she had to tell Jarod that he needed to pick pretends in places that were further away from the Centre.

“I don’t know. Something is up; his call last night and his lairs over the last month or so. They were so close. Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Jersey and now Virginia, all these states are close to Delaware,“ Sydney mused.

“Like I said, maybe he’s getting homesick. Broots, what are you still standing here? We have a pretender to catch!” she snarled.

~~~~~~~~

Jarod sat in a small restaurant. He had made his way to Dover to avoid being spotted by Centre personal. Even here in Dover he still felt insecure.

He had decided to keep his head down for the rest of the day and maybe he wouldn’t even return to Blue Cove tonight. He didn’t want to endanger Parker and himself.

Sipping at some coffee, he was sunken into his own thoughts. If their adventure was to continue like this, he would be addicted to coffee soon. He smiled.

Suddenly his cell phone rang. He frowned and opened it.

“This is Jarod,“ he said, much the same way his mentor answered a phone call.

“Hey Jarod, it’s Mark,” a voice greeted him.

“Hey Mark,” Jarod exclaimed while he relaxed back in his seat. “I haven’t heard from you in a long time. How are you?”

“I’m fine and how are you?” Mark asked back.

“Well, I’m knee deep in a new job,” Jarod stated, smiling at the description.

“Then you’re not the only one, man. I do have a new job myself,” Mark replied.

“That’s great! The last time we spoke, you were still searching.”

“Yeah, but now I finally got something. I had to leave home but well, you have to be flexible these days,” Mark said light-heartedly.

“You can say that,” Jarod confirmed. “And where is that new job of yours?”

“It’s in England and that’s also from where I’m calling you right now,“ Mark answered.

“England?”

“Ye…, look, this is not only a social call,“ Mark hesitated.

“What is it?” Jarod asked openly.

“Remember the last time we met, nearly half a year ago?” Mark questioned.

“Sure I do,“ Jarod said reaching for his mug again.

“You were searching for some documents,“ Mark hesitated once more.

“The Scrolls,“ Jarod stated still uncertain where the conversation was leading to.

“Are you still looking for them?” Mark asked.

“Yeah,” Jarod replied carefully, frowning.

“I think I know where they are!” Mark stated.



To be continued…



Oh, and the thing about Richmond… I have no idea if everything is true. I searched through Encarta for a town close to Delaware and randomly picked Richmond. Encarta said something about an Edgar Alan Poe Museum and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with Fabergé eggs. If that’s not true (anymore) blame Encarta and not me. Well, you can also blame me for believing everything I read in Encarta but… ah, hell, do what you want *chuckles and waves a dismissive hand*. Please leave a review!!!