Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 17


Conversations in the night


He was stretched out on the couch in the living room. Parker had left him there, going to bed herself some time ago.

The bracelet was dangling from his fingers in front of his face.

The evening had been quiet. They hadn’t talked much.

He knew that Parker was suspicious and he even suspected that she knew that the bracelet had a meaning to him. He huffed.

A meaning that he couldn’t make out.

Angry, he sat up. Why was he the only one knowing from that secret plan. They needed his knowledge but he couldn’t remember.

Try as he might, he couldn’t!

Every time he thought that there was something in his mind and he reached out to grasp it, it evaded him, getting just out of reach.

It was like a carrot dangling in front of the donkey.

It was as if it was mocking him and that thought made him even angrier.

The fact that Parker didn’t seem to be angry but was patient and supportive didn’t make it any easier. On the contrary, it agitated him even more so.

Growling quietly he got up and grabbed his leather jacked. He put the bracelet into his breast pocket and strode over to the back door.

~~~~~~~~

In her bedroom, Parker heard the backdoor close softly. She was tired but sleep evaded her. She was worried about Jarod. He had been so withdrawn the rest of the day. She wanted to approach him several times but her mother had constantly warned her to leave him alone.

She sat up in bed and considered following him. ‘Maybe he needs me,’ she pondered.

‘No, darling. He’ll be ok. You can’t help him with that now. He will come to you in the end because you are the only person that will be able to help him remember.’

‘Why don’t you just spare time and tell me what to do?’ Parker accused suddenly.

‘I’m here to guide you along the way but I can’t tell you the result. You have to do the journey alone. It’s not only a journey to finish my plan but also a journey for both of you to find yourselves,’ her mother explained.

‘But…’

‘You’re on the right path, Melina,’ her mother’s voice faded away.

Parker opened her eyes and looked up.

“It will still take me some more time to get used to this,” she mused aloud, meaning both her ‘conversation’ with her mother and the path they needed to take.

~~~~~~~

Jarod walked trough the wood behind Parker’s house till he reached the shore. He wandered along the small beach.

His fingers toyed with the bracelet he had taken out of his pocket after reaching the wood.

“What did you tell me Catherine and why can’t I remember?” he chewed on his lower lip.

Sitting down on the sand he watched the water.

Ever since he had escaped the Centre, the ocean had held a special meaning for him. This infinite power that couldn‘t be tamed by anyone; the open and wide surface. It meant freedom to him.

The ocean had had a calming effect on him since he had first seen it. He breathed in the scent of salt and algae, closing his eyes.

He knew he needed to calm down. Otherwise he wouldn’t get anywhere.
So he just sat there, facing the ocean and breathing deeply and deliberately in and out.
He was using an old calming exercise Sydney had taught him and soon he felt himself relax.

Silently he thanked Sydney for all he had taught him over the years.

Sydney. Jarod straightened abruptly.

Maybe talking to his old mentor would help him get to the memory he so desperately craved.
A quick look on his watch told him that it was half past ten. He flicked out his cell phone and dialled the programmed number.

“This is Sydney,” his mentor answered after the second ring.

“What can I do to recover some information I know is hidden somewhere in my brain but can’t get a hold on it?” Jarod asked without preamble.

“Jarod. You didn’t call for a long time,” Sydney responded without hurt or reproach in his voice.

“Sydney, what can I do?” Jarod questioned again letting some of the despair he felt show in his tone.

“What information are we talking about?”

“Information about the past, the present and the future,“ Jarod replied quizzically.

“Hmm,” Sydney huffed obviously unsatisfied.

“I just can’t overcome the blockade,“ Jarod huffed equally unsatisfied and frustrated.

“You mean like you did back then, when we discovered the information about Ethan?”

“Yes and no. Basically I feel the same, it’s just that I know that hypnosis won’t work to recover the information.”

“How do you know?” Sydney asked puzzled.

“I just know,“ Jarod shrugged, as if his mentor could see him.

“Then you will have to find another way. I told you back then that every waking moment is saved somewhere in our mind. We just have to find the right drawer,“ Sydney said.

“Yeah, I know,“ Jarod replied.

“Maybe you will have to put yourself back into the position you were in when you learned that information,” Sydney suggested.

Jarod looked up and frowned. That might be the key. He snapped the phone shut just as he heard Sydney’s voice asking if he was still there.

Jarod contemplated walking back to the house but he wanted to stay on the beach for some more time.


When he finally got back to Parker’s house it was late at night. Dawn would break soon.

He had been tempted to try Sydney’s approach when he arrived but in the end he refrained from it. He needed to sleep first. He was tired after all. The last few weeks had been tiring. Not so much physically but emotionally.

He felt that he had to keep up Parker’s and his own faith. On the other hand, today it had been the other way round.

Jarod chuckled and went to the guestroom, feeling a calm he hadn’t felt in a long time.



To be continued…