Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters known from the show don’t belong to me. I only own the ones I created myself. I don’t intend to make any money with this story and there is no other reason to sue me, so don’t even try.

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 16


St. Catherine of the Hills






More than a week had passed since they had left Ben and headed for Blue Cove again.

They had discussed the situation several times together with Ben and alone.

Just as Jarod had promised they had made another list of places they could think of where Catherine might have concealed the evidence she talked about.

They had left out the persons they had already visited. These were somewhat close friends of Catherine but there was nothing to be found at their homes.

Ben had told them about two or three other places he could think of, where Catherine had felt safe and had possibly hid something.

When Jarod and Parker left, Ben had told them yet again that they could always come to him when they needed a secure and secret place.

Since the day they had left Ben they had searched two places from their list together.

Parker had searched at two places, they had thought likely to hide something, in the Centre. She had done this alone for the obvious reason that Jarod couldn’t just walk into the Centre.

He could have managed to sneak in and out but they had agreed that it would be easier this way.

On the weekend they had been in Catherine’s birth town. She grew up there and knew the area. But they hadn’t found a thing.

Right now they were on their way to the St. Catherine of the Hills Convent. Catherine Parker had lived there for several years.

Jarod parked the car and they got out. Parker strode directly toward the entrance. When she reached the door realized that Jarod hadn’t moved and was still standing next to the car, she frowned and went back. Standing in front of him she crossed her arms in front of her chest and impatiently tapped her foot on the ground.

“What?” she asked irritated. “We are not going to get any further by standing outside. Believe me, if we want to find something we will have to search for it. It’s not going to fly here and place itself into our hands,“ she snapped ironically.

Jarod didn’t answer. He turned to watch the area. He seemed to be lost in a memory.

“Jarod!” she snapped again.

He turned towards her. She searched his face. Several emotions flickered over his face but they were gone before she could determine them. Only the last one stayed: sadness.

“Jarod? What is it?” she asked this time without malice or impatience.

He huffed and his shoulders fell.

Parker put her hand on his shoulder. She spotted a bench and gently tugged at his elbow to manoeuvre him towards it.

Jarod followed her without complaint.

She pushed him down to sit on the bench and seated herself next to him.

“So, wonder boy, tell me what your problem is.”

“I’ve feared to come here,” he said silently as if it explained everything.

“Why?” She asked confused.

“I’ve been here before,“ he swallowed and looked over to her.

She crooked her head but waited for him to go on.

“It was nearly a year after I got away. I know that a lot has happened since then but…,“ he huffed.

Parker put her hand on his to give him some moral support.

He looked up once more with despair in his eyes. “It was the first time I saw Kyle after decades and I didn’t even know that he was my brother at that point. I know that he neither died at this place nor had it any meaning for him but I just can’t help it. In my mind this place is tied to my first encounter with Kyle in the real world. For me it has a special meaning.” He clenched his teeth and swallowed again.

Parker reached out and cupped his cheek in her hand and later on drew him into her arms. Maybe she could give some small part of the support he had given her back to him. If not, at least she was here and he didn’t have to go through this alone like they both normally had to.

Kyle. Another child that wasn’t able to grow up with his parents thanks to the Centre. Kyle. Jarod’s little brother who had been Raines lab rat and who had been turned into a psychopath. Kyle, whom Jarod had never been able to get to know even if he was his own brother.

She could understand his pain, hell she even knew it first hand.

Her own twin brother had been ripped from her and again it was Raines who turned Bobby into Lyle, into a sick psychopath.

It seemed as if all ways of evil lead back to the Centre.

She could feel Jarod’s body shaking in her embrace. She tried to soothe him and whispered words of reassurance to him, just like he had done so many times since they started their ‘project’.

It took Jarod a while before he finally caught himself. He drew a last shaky breath and then straightened.

Parker withdrew to allow him to get his composure back.

“Better?” Parker asked when he looked at her.

His eyes were still red but he nodded and even managed a small smile. “Thanks Mel,” he whispered hesitantly, using one of the old nicknames he had given her all these years back.

“You’re welcome, Jar,” she replied, liking the feeling she got when he voiced her forename. She nodded her consent that she was ok with him using it and he smiled slightly.

Parker saw that there was still hesitancy in his eyes. “You don’t have to go in there. I can do that alone or we can go home directly,“ she suggested.

“No, first off we are in this together and second I don’t want to stay outside,” he replied, getting up.

“Ok,” she reached out once again and gently cupped Jarod’s cheek in her hand. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply.

~~~~~~~

They were shown to the bureau and told to wait. A few minutes later an older nun came. After closing the door, she turned to face her visitors and froze.

“Catherine?”

“No, I’m her daughter,” Parker replied.

“You look just like her!” the nun whispered astonished.

“I hear that a lot. I take it you knew her,“ Parker asked sadly.

“Knew?”

“Yes, she died several years ago,“ Jarod replied instead of Parker.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Of course I knew her. She lived here for some years. I always liked her. She was such a good person! Forgive me, where are my manners… I’m Nancy.”

“I’m Jarod and this is…,” he hesitated.

“Melina,” Parker introduced herself, silently thanking Jarod that he left her the decision to tell her forename or not.

Nancy smiled warmly at them both. “So, how can I help you two?”

“We wondered if my mother gave you something for safekeeping, a box with files for example.” Parker explained.

“Not to me personally and I don’t know about the other nuns but I believe there still is something stored from her in the basement,” Nancy mused.

Jarod and Parker exchanged a look of excitement.

“Can we see it?” Parker asked.

“I don’t know why not,” Nancy shrugged. “Follow me.”

All three got up and Jarod and Parker followed Nancy through several long corridors.

At long last they were standing in the basement. A musty smell hang in the air and the small light bulb left them in semi-darkness.

Nancy went ahead of them and determinedly strode over to a large closet. She opened it and searched through the contents.

“Ah, there it is,” she reached out and pulled a box out of one board to put it on the floor.
“We stored it here in case she came back looking for it.”

Parker and Jarod crouched down to get a closer look.

When Parker reached out to open the box, Jarod could see her hand shaking.

There were some clothes in the box, a bible and another book. Parker was about to close the lid in disappointment when Jarod interfered and reached into the box.

He pulled out a smaller box covered with dark blue velvet.

He looked up and searched Parker’s gaze. She returned his glance and nodded, shivering in anticipation.

Jarod slowly opened the jewellery box. There was only one item in it. It was a delicate bracelet with a small tear shaped pendant.

Jarod looked at it more closely. Somehow it seemed familiar but he couldn’t quite place a finger on it.

Parker watched him frown and put her hand out. He placed the bracelet in her hand and she inspected it.

When she looked up, she saw Jarod staring into space in concentration.

‘There is something to this bracelet’ her mind screamed. She looked at it once more.

‘Yes, there is, darling. Give Jarod time, don’t push him. He will remember,’ she heard her mother’s voice.

“You looked for some files, didn’t you?” Nancy asked, interrupting Parker’s musing.

“Yes, we did,“ Parker confirmed gazing over to Nancy who had a questioning expression on her face.

“I’m sorry there isn’t anything else in the box,” Nancy said compassionately.

“Don’t worry. We will find them eventually. Can we take the box with us?”

“Sure. It’s yours anyway. Catherine would want you to have it,“ Nancy nodded.

“Thanks,” Parker stated and straightened. Addressing to Jarod she said “Jarod, come on, we have to go.”

Jarod, too, straightened, sober again. He still had a confused frown on his face when he looked over to Parker.

She kept silent and decided to comply with her mother’s advice not to push him.



To be continued…