Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 15


Nightmares and fears


Slowly the sounds and odours around her invaded her consciousness.

Parker struggled to open her eyes. Groaning, she closed them again, shutting out the light that blinded her.

She relaxed back and concentrated on her senses.

She could smell the sweet scent of coffee. Then she felt a small movement under her head and there was a soft rustle of clothes.

She didn’t feel threatened but merely curious so she opened her eyes once more.

Looking up, she saw Jarod smiling down at her. He was sitting on the bed, with her head resting on his legs. In his hands he had a big mug, probably filled with the coffee she had smelled.

“Hey there,“ he smiled.

“Hey,“ she replied hoarsely, her voice rough with sleep.

Jarod stayed silent, giving her some time to wake up.

“Have you been here all night?” she asked.

He nodded his head yes.

“In that position?” She questioned further frowning.

He merely nodded again.

“You shouldn’t have,” she whispered.

He looked at her and questioningly quirked an eyebrow.

“I can’t imagine it being very comfortable,“ she explained.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ve slept in worse positions and places,” he grunted and smiled.

“All the same: You shouldn’t have!” she insisted.

“You asked me to stay with you last night and I told you I would stay. So, here I am. You know me, Parker. I’m no one to break my word,“ he shrugged, sipping at his coffee yet again.

“Thanks,” she murmured.

“You’re welcome,” he winked and sipped once more on his mug.

It was then that he saw the longing expression on her face. He reached over to the bedside table and produced a second mug she hadn’t seen before. Ben had brought both mugs some time ago.

“Sorry, I forgot. You might want that,” he gave her the mug.

“You’re a saint, Jar!” she said sitting up and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

“I should stay in your room more often when you are in such a good mood afterwards,“ he pondered, a twinkle visible in his eyes.

“Shut up,“ she chuckled.

They both sipped at their coffee for some time, lost in their own thoughts.

“Do you want to talk about it now?” Jarod asked.

“About what?” she shot back innocently.

“Aw, come on. Don’t play dumb. The nightmare you had last night. The nightmare that had me barrelling through that door,“ he said, indicating her bedroom door.

“I’m not sure yet,” she confessed, looking up at his face.

He kept a neutral expression and gave her time to decide for herself.

“It was a strange dream. I don’t know what I should make out of it,“ she admitted.

“Maybe I can help you to set it straight?”

She considered this and shrugged her shoulders, giving up her reserve.

“It was a little bit like travelling through time. At first I was back in our youth. Back at ‘that’ day. The day mom died. I could hear the shots again,” she shuddered.

Jarod reached out and gently rubbed her back. She shot him a look of gratitude and then drew in a deep breath to continue.

“Next thing I know is that we were in the plane. You know, when Mr. Parker jumped,“ she paused once more, hesitating to go on.

“And then…?” Jarod probed slightly.

She swallowed hard and clenched her jaw, her mouth becoming a thin line. Her hands were clasped tightly at her sides.

Jarod reached out once again, this time touching one of her tightly balled fists. She didn’t look up.

“Parker?” he asked carefully.

“The next scene plays somewhere in between past and future. Again I’m standing in front of this elevator. Again, I can hear the gunshots but this time, when I round the corner it isn’t my mother lying on the floor…,” she looked up and met his eyes. They were full of despair. “This time it is your body lying in that damn cabin!” Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

“Oh, Mel!” Jarod tightened his hold on her hand and drew her over to him.

She accepted his offer of comfort and started sobbing.

“What if it is kind of a foreboding?” she snivelled. “What if that is what is going to happen if we continue this?”

“Oh no,“ Jarod took her shoulders and pushed her slightly away from his body. “No, that’s not going to happen,“ he said in a determined tone of voice.

“How do you know?” she shot back.

“We can’t be sure but you know what? We can’t be sure of anything in life.” He searched her eyes and held her gaze. “Maybe one of us or someone close to us will have a car accident tomorrow or the day after. Or something else happens. We don’t know. That is what life tells us everyday. We don’t know what comes next. We can only live our lives as best as we can. The rest isn’t our choice to make,” he stated.

She leant back into him. “I’m scared. I feel like I’m not in control anymore,” she confessed.

“I know.”

“I’m scared to loose you,“ she whispered.

“I know,” he repeated.

They fell silent for some time pondering the situation.

He looked down and searched her eyes. She returned his gaze. He felt himself being drawn into the pools of stunning blue. They held some sort of spell over him. And not only her eyes but the person Parker was herself.

Never in his life had anyone else had so much power over him. He would go to hell and back for her.

She was special to him:

His best friend, the girl who gave him his first kiss, until not long ago his enemy, and maybe there was a prospect for more.

He knew that he had deeper feelings for her.

After their encounter in Scotland he hadn’t been able to deny it any longer. At least not to himself. But laying the cards open on the table in front of her… that was still not possible.

Not at the moment but maybe in the future.

“There was one more thing in the dream,“ she said, interrupting Jarod’s musing.

Jarod remained silent and waited.

“Not a new scene or else but something was strange. Remember when I told you about Mr. Parker jumping out of the plane?”

Jarod nodded.

“I heard mom in that moment,” she uttered and entangled herself from him to some extent.

Jarod looked at her and frowned.

“When daddy….. I mean Mr. Parker jumped, I heard her say: ‘They still exist’!” she huffed. “I think she referred to the Scrolls.”

“Then maybe we haven’t reached a dead end,” Jarod contemplated.



To be continued…