Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 14


Trying to remember


Jarod wandered into the kitchen. The house was silent which was not surprising because it was one o’clock in the morning.

They had left the living room about an hour ago to call it a night.

He had already known back then that it would be hard for him to get some sleep.
It had turned out that it was not only hard but downright impossible.
He had lain down for some time; tossing and turning in his bed and not getting anywhere near sleep.

So now he had decided to give up on trying to sleep and get up once more.

He opened the fridge and aimlessly searched through it. What he was looking for was beyond his knowledge.

Without finding something of interest, he shut the fridge and leaned against it.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply.

His mind was still spinning, trying to digest what they had found out this evening.

Catherine’s dedication to each of them had been heart wrenching.

Parker was shocked but he knew that she had to deal with this alone.
She was used to cope with her problems that way and he wouldn’t be able to change that.

And even if she would have let him comfort her, he knew that he wouldn’t be able to do so if he wasn’t in control of his own feelings.

That was why he had insisted on their going to bed. He knew he had to understand their situation himself first to be able to help her get over the shock.

To be able to work through his own feelings he had to be alone to analyze them.

He went back to the living room, sitting down on the couch and staring sightlessly ahead.

Catherine had hid the Scrolls in Scotland. The problem was that they weren’t there anymore. In fact they had no idea where the Scrolls were now, if they still existed.

Catherine’s letter had made it pretty clear that they would need the Scrolls to execute her plan properly.

When they were able to find the evidence she brought to safety they would at least be able to go through with her original plan.

Then they could destroy the Centre.

What he feared now was that Catherine had told him the places where they would have to look and coupled this knowledge to some sort of key-word.

That alone was no problem but when the knowledge would only surface if you combined the key-word and the information the Scrolls provided they wouldn’t stand the slightest chance of ever finding the hidden evidence.

On the other hand he was confident that Catherine wouldn’t trust in the prospect that everything would go according to her plan. Not after she had lived under the influence of the Centre for such a long time.

She knew better than to trust fate.

Which again brought him to the problem that they desperately needed his knowledge about what Catherine had told him all these years ago.

He shakily drew in a deep breath.

Forcing himself to relax he stretched out on the couch and closed his eyes.

He concentrated on slowing his breathing down. Then he directed his focus on his on mind and tried to wander back in time to the moment Catherine had told him about her secret plan.

In his head he went over the information they had uncovered thanks to Sydney’s hypnotisation over and over again and tried to find some kind of stepping stone into the part of the conversation between Catherine and him that still lay in the darkness.

Several times he had the feeling the information they needed lay just at the tip of his tongue, directly under the surface waiting to come out only separated by a tiny wall.

He struggled to go beyond that point but try as he might he wasn’t able to overcome the barrier.

Frustrated, he let himself be carried out of the past and back into the present.

He got up and went into the kitchen to get something to drink. He wanted to try to access the hidden information once more after getting in touch with the reality again.

He was just about to reclaim his seat on the couch when he heard someone scream in terror.

It was Parker.

While his mind still tried to understand that part of information he was already up and running trough the hall leading to Parker’s room.

He threw the door open and scanned the room.

It was then that his brain finally caught up with his actions.

Parker was sitting in her bed, panting and shivering uncontrollably.

The moment he burst through the door her head snapped up. Her eyes were wide with fear.

With some more big strides he went over to the bed and crouched down in front of her.

“Parker?” he asked. He wasn’t sure if she even saw him. Her eyes were darting back and forth.

“Parker!” he called out more forcefully trying to get her attention. This time it had the desired effect. Her eyes came to rest on him and they seemed to focus.

“Nightmare?” Was all he asked.

She nodded still panting.

Slowly, as not to startle her, he got up from his crouched position and sat down on the bed besides her.

She still had a hard time breathing.

“Hush now. You’re safe! Concentrate on your breathing!” he gently directed.

He reached up and started stroking her back. She responded in leaning into his touch, seeking comfort there.

Feeling her still shivering, Jarod drew her into his arms.

“Hush. Just breathe, Melina. I’m here,” Jarod consoled. He kept stroking her back.

She clung to him and he tightened his hold on her. He placed his head on hers.
When he saw a shadow in the doorframe, he looked up.

Ben was standing in the light staring at them and searching Jarod’s gaze. “Do you need help?” Ben whispered.

Jarod returned his look and shook his head slightly. “Go back to bed, Ben. We can manage,“ he replied.

Ben hovered in the door but Jarod shook his head once more. “She’ll be ok!”

Making up his mind, Ben nodded curtly and turned.

“Ben?” Jarod called.

Ben’s head returned in the door.

“Would you shut the door, please?”

Ben nodded again and drew the door shut behind him, leaving Jarod and Parker in the dark.

The moment the room was dark, Parker’s breathing quickened. She started to get agitated again.

“Shhh...,“ Jarod cooed.

He reached for the lamp on the bedside to switch on the light.

Comforting her, Jarod murmured nonsense into her ear and continued to stroke her back.

At long last, she calmed down.

“You want to talk about it?” he questioned cautiously.

She shook her head. “Not now. I don’t want to go there now,” she replied in a small voice.

“Ok.”

“Will you stay with me? “ she questioned.

He just nodded.

Drawing in her breath, she relaxed back into his arms.

Jarod merely continued to hold her and the rest of the night was spent in silence.



To be continued…..