Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 13


Getting closer together


With that the DSA ended and the room fell silent.

Jarod, Parker and Ben sat on the couch still staring onto the screen.

Ben was the first to regain his composure. He looked over to Jarod and Parker. They were still sitting next to each other and by now they were holding hands. Silent tears rolled down Parkers cheeks. Jarod was pale and had a shocked expression on his face.

Ben silently got up and went to the kitchen to make some coffee for them. He needed time to come to terms with what he had just seen and he supposed that Jarod and Parker needed just the same. He wanted to give them the space to comfort each other.

The coffee Jarod had started before they watched the disk was ready when Ben got to the kitchen. He took three mugs out of the cupboard and filled them.

When Jarod got back to his senses, Parker was still seated next to him but Ben was gone. He heard faint noises out of the kitchen and assumed that Ben was finishing the coffee. He turned to Parker.

She was crying softly. Without a second thought he reached out and took her in his arms.

She didn’t struggle but willingly accepted his gesture. Burying her head in his shirt, she started sobbing openly.

Ben returned to the living room and found Jarod and Parker hugging each other, giving and taking comfort at the same time. They were both crying softly.

Ben turned and went over to the window, one mug in his hand.
He took the window seat and looked unseeingly into the darkness that had settled outside. He was still trying to comprehend what had happened.

After some time Parker and Jarod both calmed down. Parker looked up at Jarod. He returned her gaze, his eyes red rimmed, just as her own were.

Jarod reached out and laid his hand on her cheek. She leaned into his touch. He tripped her head up slightly and dropped a feather light kiss onto her forehead.

She drew a deep breath. Then she straightened and withdrew somewhat.

Jarod let go of her hand to give her the space she needed.

He looked at her and when she nodded indicating that she was ok, he smiled comfortingly and relaxed a little.

She saw the mugs standing on the coffee table in front of them and reached for one.

“Seems you were right with your estimation that we would need coffee after we saw the disk,“ she sniffed and handed him the mug, then reached for the other one.

“Looks like it. But to be honest, I would have preferred to be wrong in this situation,“ he replied.

“Me too!”

They fell silent once more.

“Again we are staying in front of the problem that we don’t have the Scrolls,” she huffed.

“Yeah and that doesn’t make the riddle any easier,” he agreed.

Parker remained silent and contemplated their situation.

“Maybe we have to concentrate on your memory,“ she suggested looking over to Jarod.

“The problem is that I still can’t remember anything.”

“How do you know that there is anything in your memory?” Ben asked, startling both, Jarod and Parker, when he spoke up. They had been too much lost in thought to realize that they were not alone in the room.

“Mom talked to Jarod after her supposed suicide,” Parker explained.

“I wasn’t sure if she did really talk to me about her plan but now I’m certain that she did,” Jarod agreed with Parker.

“You are? Do you remember anything?” Parker asked.

“No, I don’t remember a damn thing but somehow I’m certain that she told me something. Don’t ask why I know that….. I just know,” he huffed, shrugging his shoulders.

“Ben, when did she give you that disk?” Parker directed her next question to Ben.

“She gave it to me in April 1970. It was the last year she came up here. She came earlier than usual. Normally she came at mid-April but that year she arrived the last day in March,“ Ben remembered. “She didn’t stay long. Barely a week and when she was ready to leave, she gave me this disk and made me promise to hide it until the both of you came up here together and asked me for it. It was the last time I ever saw her.”

They fell silent again.

“And what now?” Parker asked.

“Now we all go to bed and try to get some sleep. We have to get our wits together to solve this,” Jarod advised. He got up and Ben followed suite but Parker stayed where she was.

“Come on, Parker. It’s useless to stay here. Without sleep we won’t be able to get through this. I, too, want to stay here and try to figure out a way to get to the answers we need but that won’t happen. We will have to digest what your mother just told us. Plus, I might be able to go without sleep for a long time and still get sims accurately performed but I can’t force my mind open to find out what your mother told me. And like it or not, I think we depend on that piece of a memory now,” he said.

“I don’t like it,“ she growled. “I want to actively do something, not wait until you remember.”

“Then we are already two!” Jarod grumbled. “We will start with a new list of places tomorrow,” he promised.

“Ok,” Parker huffed and got up.

All three went out of the living room and parted to their own quarters.



To be continued…