Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter one

Authors Note: Hi everyone. Up to now, I think there is no real ‘drive’ in the story. I just can’t persuade my muse to get it going. It is still a little slow but that will change soon.
At the moment I’m still trying to describe the situation Parker and Jarod are in and the disappointments they have to take before they get to Catherine’s plan and everything gets moving. And it will get moving soon! ‘wiggles her eyebrows’
Have fun with the next chapter and leave a review, please.

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 10


New ideas


Parker drove back home from work. She had just had an encounter with Lyle. He was back to his normal annoying self. This time there had been no trace of the person she saw briefly at the graveyard and then again a day later when he waited for her in her office.

No, this time he took all his pleasure in annoying the hell out of her. ‘Why she couldn’t bring Jarod in and such.’

She chuckled mirthlessly.

Pushing all thoughts of Lyle and the rest of the Centre away when she arrived at home, she got out of the car and walked up to the front door.

“Jarod? Jarod, are you there?” she called out into the dark house, when she got in.

She was greeted by only silence.

“Obviously not,“ she murmured to herself.

There was no light in the front but then there never was when she got back in the evening. Jarod always sat working in front of his laptop in one of the rooms in the back of her house. They had agreed that this would be best.

Should there be anyone from the Centre either following Parker or dropping by to install bugs or something else they shouldn’t be alarmed by lights in the house when Parker wasn’t there.

In case there should be any Centre personal coming by to install bugs, Jarod would always have enough time to get out of the house through the back.

Though he slept in her guest room, there were never many things from him to find. He had stored his clothes in the basement, still hidden effectively from view. Normally, the only thing that indicated that he was there was his laptop sitting on a desk.

If the DSA case was in her house she hadn’t found it yet. Not that it bothered her. She didn’t even search for it. It didn’t matter.

She went into the living room. It was dark. When she switched on the light she saw that there was no laptop on the desk.

Jarod either took it with him or stored it with his clothes when he left the house.

So he wasn’t here. Maybe he was still busy, preparing the lair.

‘I wonder where he leads us this time,’ she speculated.

Hopefully he had calmed down enough that they could start planning the next visits this evening. He had been pretty upset about his own ‘mistake’, if it could be considered as such.

She went upstairs to change into something more comfortable. Twenty minutes later she came down again to start some coffee.

The moment she reached the bottom of the stairs she knew something had changed.

“You better put my mother’s photo back onto the mantelpiece,“ she called out.

“Or else?” Came the reply from behind her.

Startled she turned on her heel to find Jarod standing close to her.

“Stop sneaking up on me,” she breathed.

“You’re not on your guard anymore. It could have been someone else.”

“Yeah, someone who took my mothers’ picture with him but not the TV, microwave or anything else of value,” she frowned doubtfully at him.

“Ok, you win!” he relented, smiling. “So, what’s new in hell?”

“At the moment it’s all quiet. That’s what I don’t like. Silence in the Centre is never a good sign,” she huffed.

“I know what you mean but maybe we are just being paranoid. I keep looking constantly over my shoulder these days,” he agreed.

“You always have to look over your shoulder to watch your back, boy wonder,“ she reminded him pointedly, frowning.

He rolled his eyes. “Yes, but now it’s different!”

“Sure!”

“Yes, it is!”

“Ok, ok, fine, if you think so!” She raised her hands in surrender.

“Yes, it is!”

She groaned and he just smiled.

~~~~~~~

The living room was lit dimly. Parker and Jarod both sat side by side on the couch just the way they had many evenings in the last two weeks. They had been talking about the next place they would go to investigate for some time. By now, they both were loosing themselves in their own memories.

Parker was dozing of, her head on his shoulder in much the same position she had dozed of on the first evening these few weeks back and Jarod, too, had difficulties to keep his eyes open.

As it is so often, solutions tend to arrive in stages of sleep or slumber.

Suddenly Jarod shot up, stuck by a thought. The sudden movement roused Parker from her sleep.

“What is it?” she asked sleepily.

“Parker, is the Centre aware of Ben or the position he had in Catherine’s heart?” he questioned.

“What?” she still struggled to wake up.

“I kept thinking. Till now, we were trying to find Catherine’s plan or the DSA close to the Centre. Now that we didn’t find anything in the near district we have to change our way of thinking.”

“Yeah, that’s what we talked about in the car this afternoon. I just don’t see what connection Ben might… have… in that…,“ she tailed of.

Jarod could see her thoughts racing. Her eyes started sparkling.

“That might be it!” she cheered, suddenly wide awake again.

“Wait, Parker. It’s too early to get joyful yet. It might be another dead end,“ he objected.

“Yeah, maybe, but the Centre doesn’t know about Ben, as far as I know. I didn’t tell them a thing, and mom… I don’t know but I think she would have tried to protect him from the Centre. She wouldn’t have told them about him. If she had, she would have wiped away her last refuge. There is still the possibility that they found out anyhow.”

Jarod considered that. “I thought so, too. I didn’t find anything on Ben in the Centre’s records. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything but I think we should take our chances!”

“Ok, next visit: Ben’s inn! When?”

“Hmm,… today is Tuesday. We could head up there on Friday, that way we will have some time there. If he doesn’t have the DSA we can relax a bit in Maine and get our wits together again!” Jarod suggested.

“Ok, Friday it is!”

She leaned into him once more, relaxing.

“Jarod?”

“Hmm?” he mumbled.

She looked up at him and he returned her gaze.

“I’m glad that we are in this together,“ she admitted.

“Me too!” He admitted, freeing his arm and gently encircling her.



To be continued…