Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod,Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productionsand used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and noinfringement is intended.

The song Total Eclipse Of The Heart belongs to:
- written by Jim Steinman
- #1 hit for Bonnie Tyler in 1983
- as recorded by Bonnie Tyler
*using without persmission! SORRY!*

And Trisha thanks for your teacher instincts !!! Typosetc you still see here are min and only mine, hehehehe



Total Eclipse Of The Heart
part II
by Nicolette





*********

(Turn around)
Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listeningto the sound of my tears

*********

With a final sigh, Miss Parker got out of the car. It was no use tosit there any longer. She hated this feeling. She felt completely helpless,how in the world would she ever be able to face the little girl.

She had been finally able to reach Sydney. He was now on his way overhere, for a brief moment she thought about waiting for him, but she calledherself a coward and fool.

With a final slam, she closed the door of her car The cold air aroundher, made her aware that she was not really dressed for this weather, afterall it was nearly December. The air smelled like snow, as she looked upinto the grey sky, clouds in all shades of grey, rushing to an unknowndestination.

Miss Parker walked over to the entrance of the building; as soon shestepped in, an all too familiar smell, tortured her nostrils. She had reallyspent too much time in hospitals during the last few years. The thoughtof the last time in the hospital made her shoulder ache, again.

Outwardly she was perfectly calm, everybody who looked at her wouldnever have guessed about the feelings inside. Feelings that wanted herto ask for the closest restroom and double over. With every step she took,she built up her wall again, step by step, brick by brick. When she finallyreached the information desk, she was the perfect model of a calm, uncaringwoman.

"My name is Parker. I received a phone call, about 3 hours ago, youhave a patient, her name is Debbie Broots. I want to see her and talk tothe Doctor." Miss Parker told the woman in front of her. She noticed thewoman's friendly smile froze the moment her name passed her lips. For sure,the same one I spoke to on the phone, she thought.

"Ah, yes Miss Parker," the woman behind the counter glanced over tothe woman who was standing there as if she would run the hospital. Shehad been right, simply a cold bitch. Expensive clothes and perfect makeup. She would bet that the outfit would nearly be worth more than she earnedin a whole year of hard work.

She really hated this type of woman. Money the only thing on their minds.No feelings, no emotions, just work and their own pleasure. She could reallynot believe that a father would want his daughter living with somebodylike this. Sure, she would never have the chance to meet this man, neverthelessthere was no reason she could come up with that required leaving a littlegirl with this kind of person.

"I'll call the doctor. He wishes to talk with your first before yousee the little girl," satisfied, she saw the impatient flicker in MissParker’s eyes, somehow she hoped she would lose herself control, but sadlyit was only a flicker, with a disgusted snort. She found no other wordfor this sound, Miss Parker turned away and started to pace.

The woman beeped the doctor, keeping an eye on the tall woman in thehall. Angrily, she observed that she was not alone in watching, every menthere did the same. The way the two male nurses behind her talked aboutthat woman made her not like her more, contrary.

Miss Parker could still feel the gaze of the nurse on her. Another friendfor life. Anyway, she was not here for any small talk. She was concerned,the bad feeling was growing with every passing second. That the doctorwanted to talk with her first was not a good sign.

She knew enough about hospitals and the way they worked to be deeplytroubled. It took every ounce of control not to go back and demandthat the woman should try contacting the doctor again. Her rational mindtold her that she would not gain anything from this, except to upset thenurse even more, not that she really cared, there were to many other thingson her mind now.

For what seemed to be the thousandth time today, she cursed that shehad quit smoking. A good dose of nicotine would be the best thingfor her fluttering nerves. For the first time in months, her stomach washurting like hell, again. Overall, this was a hospital and so she decidedto ask the doctor for a bottle of pepto bismal.

Nothing had changed with time, only the players, but not the game.She was still on the hunt. A hunter hunted by her own nightmares. She couldalmost laugh about it, if it wasn't so damn serious. What pathetic excusefor a life.

Miss Parker turned, just in time to see a middle aged man talking withthe nurse at the counter, after which the woman pointed in her direction.She assumed that this was the doctor she was supposed to talk to. For amoment, all she wanted was to turn and run. Leave the hospital, the Centre,Blue Cove, Delaware, even the USA, to find a spot nobody from this lifewere no one would be able to find her. At the same time, she chideded herselffor being so childish. So far, she had managed everything in her life,this couldn't be any worse, however, the little voice in her head wouldn'tstopped mocking her, teasing her about beening so sure. This time.

She stopped pacing, trying to persuade herself, that she wanted to keepher image up, but the little voice was there again, telling her that shewas just biding time, even the seconds it took for the doctor to reachher.

"Miss Parker," the doctor addressed her, "my name is Doctor Fraser!"He extended his had and flashed her a smile than never reached his eyes.Every word was calculated. Trained for the many conversations, like thisone, that he had to give.

Miss Parker decided to overlook the outstretched hand and the doctorseemed not to mind. His eyes glued on the file, again. After some seconds,he spoke again.

"I am the specialist for these types of injuries... "

Dr. Fraser started to report about Debbie's current condition and thetreatment they had used. But all Miss Parker really heard was *criticalcondition*, *possible brain damage* and *not much hope*.

She wondered why it had never occurred to her, that Debbie could havebeen hurt as seriously as her father. She had marvelled at how she hadworried so on how to tell the girl that she just had lost her father, butnow it seemed that she may never know.

Suddenly, Miss Parker noticed that the doctor had stopped talking andlooked expectantly at her. What had he said last? Yeah, something abouta major fume poisoning, and about revival.

Can I see her now?" Miss Parker asked instead of reacting to his words.

Doctor Fraser looked at the woman, he almost shook his head. Nurse Simonehad been right, a real cold bitch. Beautiful, but still a bitch. He hadtold her that there was a little girl fighting for her life and she lookedat him with her ice blue cold eyes, bored.

He wondered what the little girl had dared to interrupt. For sure thiswoman was not happy that her schedule had been turned upside down. He wasreally surprised that she even asked to see Debbie. He had a hard timeto fight down his urge to yell at her and tell her that if she didn't careshe should just turn and leave, because this attitude she had would dono one any good.

People in coma needed their family and love, more than any medication,especially when, like in this case, the patient was a small child.

For sure he kept his mouth shut, he knew her name and the money thehospital received from her every year one wrong word the director wouldget aware of he would kick his sorry ass so far that he could be thankfulthat he would keep his license.

He pressed his lips together and lead with his hand the way down thecorridor. Soon the stopped in front of a brought door, the doctor turnedthe door knob and let her step into the semi dark room.

Miss Parker looked a the small pale frame on the bed, a strange senseof déjà vu crept up into her mind. Debbie just looked likeFaith. Like a little angel, pale motionless only the beeping sound fromone monitor that indicated her heart beat and the steady raising and fallof her chest gave away that there was any life left.


TBC