Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter Two

“The square echoes with their ringing clear

Death’s sandman knocks, and summons fear”


by RRP



Miss Parker entered her house, and looked around. Sure enough, just as she had suspected, Jarod was sprawled out on her couch- asleep. She had told Sydney she was never accepting the job of ‘nurse’ again, but she felt that she owed it to Jarod. So, Miss Parker, Ice Queen, tiptoed over to the still figure on her couch and felt his forehead.

He had a fever, alright. That was settled. She could make herself some tea, and wait until he woke up for an explanation. So she took off her jacket, and dropped it on the kitchen table along with her gun, and busied herself making two cups of tea. She doubted he would feel like drinking any, but made some just in case.

Miss Parker didn’t have to wait long for the Pretender to wake up- but when he did wake up, he barely had time to acknowledge her. Instead, he made a world-record sprint for the bathroom, slamming the door behind him. Miss Parker filled up a glass with cold water, and wet a washcloth. Armed with this, she made her way to the bathroom.

She winced at the retching sounds, and waited until they ceased. She seriously doubted that Jarod would want her coming into the bathroom and seeing him in an ill state at all, and decided that she could wait a few minutes- he had no hair to hold back. She knocked softly on the door.

“Jarod?”

“Go ‘way.” Came the mumbled reply.

"No." She replied firmly, yet calmly. "I'm coming in." There was no word of protest, so she eased open the door, and slipped into the bathroom. Jarod was leaning against the wall, eyes closed, breathing heavily. She flushed the toilet without looking into it, and knelt down next to him.

"Hey, Wonderboy." Miss Parker spoke softly, using the term more as a name of endearment than a barb. Jarod opened his eyes, and blinked at her.

"Wha?"

"Here." She handed him the glass of water, and he took a slow sip of it before handing it back. She set it on the sink counter, and set the washcloth on his forehead. He sighed, and closed his eyes again.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have come back." He finally mumbled.

"Why did you?" She asked, watching him carefully, concern clear.

"I tried to leave." Jarod began, coughing a bit. "But I wrecked. Couldn't make the road stay still. I told one of the police officers that you were my sister, and he dropped me off."

"Well, that explains the absence of your car." Miss Parker murmured. "Come on, you can take the bed." She stood up, and tugged gently on his arm. He stood, and shuffled after her into the bedroom.

"You want me to take the couch?" He asked warily, attempting to make his mind function despite the fever.

"No. You take the bed." Miss Parker insisted. "Go on, get in." He obeyed, and slid under the covers with another grateful sigh. He leaned back on the pillows, and closed his eyes again. She sat down next to the bed, and sighed as well.

"Life sucks sometimes." Miss Parker spoke after few moments of silence.

"Yeah." Jarod agreed quietly.

"I didn't get to thank you for taking care of me last week."

"No problem."

"Sleep, Jarod. You look like hell."

"You know, Parker? You really do a great job with compliments."



Miss Parker couldn't call in sick again- it would look suspicious. So during the day, she went to work. In the morning, and at night, however, her time was devoted to taking care of Jarod. He was a compliant patient for the most part- or at least he strived to be. But his moods shifted from whiny or complaining to silent or angry.

The one good thing about work was the absence of Lyle- no pesky brother to ask her why she was five minutes late to work, or to interrogate her on why she was suddenly leaving at six on the dot. In a way, she felt sorry for him. He was the only one of them to get sick and not have anyone to check on him. Then again, he probably deserved it.

It had been three days of masquerading before Jarod scared her. Or rather, she was scared for him. His fever had been high, but not dangerous, for the most part. His health never exceeded normal flu symptoms, and he would live. But on the night of the third day, she was complaining to herself about sleeping on the couch, about to go to sleep, when there was a scream.

Not a yell, or a word, or even human sounding. An ear-piercing, heart-wrenching scream. And it was coming from the room Jarod was in. She sat bolt upright, flung the covers off, and pretty much ran to the room.

He was thrashing in bed, mumbling and muttering, flailing helplessly. She tiptoed closer, almost afraid that he would unknowingly hurt her if his arm swung her direction. She caught his mumbling, and tried to make sense of it.

"No no no no no don't go help the boy please don't leave me die you don't die come on not going to no no no Raines won't Sydney help make go send help please gun down Miss Parker!" Her name was the only clear part of the monologue, and was repeated. "Miss Parker. Miss Parker. Don't shoot her, don't shoot! No can't die, her, no no no...PAAAAAAAAAARKER!" The last two syllables came out as a yell, not as desperate as the scream, but still carrying enough emotion to make her tremble. Something had to be done.

She reached forward and grabbed his wrist as it flew near her head, then the other. She found that to maintain this position, she had to climb upon the bed. He calmed a bit when she grabbed his arms, and she cautiously dropped one. He seemed to jump in his sleep, and quickly rolled over onto his stomach, still muttering something about death.

"Jarod, calm down." She used her free hand to rub his back in a comforting motion, as she remembered her mother doing for her. "Shh...It's okay. I'm here, and you're here. Nothing's really happening. Shhhh..."

At the sound of her voice, he calmed a bit more. Then started twitching, as if going into a seizure. He flipped back over suddenly, almost crushing her hand, and the mumbling grew louder, more frantic.

"Can't die, can't die. No no no. Miss Parker. Sydney, not true. Lies lies lies. Tell them her to stop it. Can't die, she can't she can't she can't. Not. No no no. Stop the gun stop the gun, make it stop. Jump, Parker, move...please move..." The yell came again, ever fiercer than before if that was possible. "PAAAAAAAAAAAAARKER!" He sat straight up, gasping and sweating, panting for breath. His eyes wide and disbelieving, he looked at her and met her eyes. His lower lip trembled, and his hand tightened around hers.

"You...you were dead. I saw you, I saw you dead!" With a sound somewhere between a gasp, a moan, and a cry of pain, he flung himself into her arms and began sobbing uncontrollably. "Don't leave, Parker. Promise you won't leave." He was sniffling, and crying, and tears were flowing down her face as well- it tortured her to see her old friend in so much pain.

"I promise, Jarod." She raised his head to meet her eyes. "I'm right here, and I'm not leaving." He buried his head in her lap again, unashamed. Sobs still wracked his limp frame, and he clung to her like a dying man to a lifering. She held him, unconsciously rocking him back and forth until the sobs subsided. He sniffled, and shifted slightly when she moved.

She felt his forehead, and was relieved to find that his fever had broken. He was sweaty and damp, but cool to the touch. She started to move him off her lap, and back onto the pillow, and he whimpered.

"Jarod. I'm not leaving. I told you that." His warm brown eyes fluttered open, and he looked at her, begging through his eyes. He finally managed to make his mouth form the words he wanted to say.

"Stay with me?" A hundred reasons flew through her head at why she shouldn't stay- he just got over the flu, what if he has another nightmare, the germs are still on the sheets, he's Jarod for Petes Sakes- but only one reason to stay. He needed her.

So Miss Parker nodded, and climbed back onto the bed, sliding under the covers next to him. He looked at her gratefully, and his eyes spoke volumes.

"Thanks." He murmured, eyes closing again. The sound of soft breathing filled the room, and she matched her breathing pace to his, as was soon asleep.



When Miss Parker awoke, she was warm and drowsy- there was an arm wrapped protectively around her, and her head was resting on the shoulder that arm belonged to. It took her less than five seconds to figure out who it was- Jarod. Everything came back to her- the nightmare, his screaming, climbing into bed with him.

Miss Parker wondered if he was still asleep, and craned her neck to see. He was awake, and looking back at her. His warm, chocolate eyes held an array of emotions- from sincere thanks, to a jestful twinkle. He smiled at her.

“Comfy? I was beginning to wonder when you would wake up.” She sat up, and yawned and stretched.

“What time is it?”

“Eleven something.” Jarod replied nonchalantly. Miss Parker sat up straight, and looked at him in horror.

“Eleven?” She shrieked. “I’m supposed to be at work. Has the phone rang?”

“Twice.” Jarod replied, concern creeping onto his face. “It’s a Saturday, Parker. Don’t you get Saturday’s off?”

“Usually. But not this week, because of the schedule for the past few weeks.” She replied, hopping out of bed and dashing around the room gathering stuff. She paused to look at him. She couldn’t help thinking that he looked sexy, in his boxers, hair ruffled and un-brushed. She pushed the thoughts away, and spoke.

“Listen. They’re going to suspect something, so you need to be gone when I get back tonight.”

“But-” Jarod began to protest, and Miss Parker cut him off.

“Do you want to go back?”

“No.”

“Then please, Jarod. Be gone.” She started to gather things again, when he protested again, in a near whisper.

“But Parker, I love you.” Miss Parker froze. She wasn’t sure if it was his fever-riddled brain recovering, or if he actually meant it. He had sounded sincere.

“What?” It was the only thing she could think to say.

“I love you.” He repeated, a bit louder. She turned to face him, and he continued. “I’m sick of this ‘I run, you chase’ game. I’ve missed you ever since you went away all those years ago, I’ve never even felt for anyone else what I felt for you, and last night, for the first time in years, I felt safe.” The speech was hurried, and she was speechless. She finally regained her ability to speak.

“Are you saying you want me to run away with you?” Jarod bounced forward on the bed, so he was only a couple inches from her face.

“We can disappear, Parker. Start a family, spend time together. Away from them.”

“Jarod…”

“Please, Parker. I’m begging you.”

“Jarod…” He wouldn’t let her finish, afraid she would say no.

“Last week, despite the fact that you were sick, I was the happiest I’ve been in a long time, and that’s because I was close to you. The past four days, you’ve raced home from work, waited until the last minute to leave in the morning, when if you really didn’t want to care, you could have called in a Sweeper team.”

“Will you just shutup for a minute?” She demanded. “I was going to say yes two minutes ago, but you wouldn’t let me finish.”

“Oh.” Jarod looked stunned. He sat back on the bed, blinking. She laughed.

“Look who’s speechless now.” Miss Parker teased him.

“So, you mean it? You’ll come with me?”

“Yes. But not now.” She replied firmly. “There are some things I need to do first.”

“But, Parker!” Jarod exclaimed, a pained look on his face. He was cut off by the door being flung open. Both of them jumped, and Miss Parker turned in surprise to see Mr. Lyle standing in the doorway. He shook his head, as if to clear thoughts from it, and in the pause she noticed that he look flushed. He coughed, and winced, then spoke.

“Listen, I’m going to pretend that I didn’t see this. I don’t even think I want to think about what may have happened here last night. But Sis,” Lyle shot a sidelong glance at Jarod. “Go with him.”

“What?” Both Jarod and Miss Parker nearly shouted at the same time. Lyle cracked a small smile, and coughed again.

“Dad thinks something is going on. A Sweeper team is on it’s way over right now, to bring Jarod back if he’s found, and terminate you if you’re here with him. I came to warn you.”

“Why?” Was all she could think to ask, her mind attempting to process all the information at once.

“Because, I may tease and taunt, but I don’t want you dead. You’re my sister. The only family I’ve ever really had.” Lyle replied, coughing for a third time. “Just go with him. Don’t look back. I’ll keep an eye on Sydney for you.”

“And Broots.” She added, gathering things from the room again. Lyle nodded, and opened the closet doors, and pulled out a suitcase. He looked over at Jarod, and raised an eyebrow.

“Are you helping, or not?” Jarod slid out of the bed, and tugged on some jeans.

“Parker, what do you want me to do?” He asked, standing before her. She looked over at him, and thought fast.

“Get your stuff, get what you think we’ll need from my house, and load the car.” He nodded, and left the room.

“Mr. Broots is being relocated.” Lyle spoke after the Pretender left. Miss Parker frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve arranged for him to move to Washington State, and work in our computer development lab. He’s leaving tomorrow, with his daughter. He’ll be head of a project experimenting with advanced holograms, there.” A disbelieving look crossed Miss Parker’s face.

“You did all of this, within two days, and you’ve got the flu?” Lyle shrugged, and sat down on the edge of the unmade bed.

“I’ve been planning it out for a few weeks now. I knew they were going to act drastically, sooner or later.” She leaned over and kissed him on a flushed cheek.

“Thanks, Lyle.” He smiled, and rubbed the spot on his cheek that her lips had touched.

“You’re welcome. Just stay safe. Let Jarod take care of you. He’ll do a better job than I could. And sis?”

“Yeah?”

“Promise me two things.”

“What?”

“That you’ll stay in contact with me, let me know how you’re doing. And that you don’t set foot in Blue Cove for a long time. Leave, and don’t look back. If the first one gets too dangerous for you, then drop it. But never forget the second one.”

“I promise, Lyle.” She nodded, and zipped up the suitcase. “Don’t get into too much trouble yourself. If I ever see you again, I don’t want you missing both thumbs.” He grinned and nodded. “And after I leave, go home and get some rest. You look like hell.”

“I’ll try.”

“She’s great with compliment, isn’t she?” Jarod asked from the door. “Car’s ready. Are you?” She nodded, as Lyle grinned at the comment. She left them in the room, carrying her suitcase. Lyle tried to follow her, but Jarod stopped him.

“Lyle.”

“Jarod?”

“Thank you. For her sake.” Jarod held out his hand, and Lyle shook it firmly.

“Take care of her, Jarod.”

“I will.” Jarod nodded, and they both followed Miss Parker out to the car. Miss Parker hugged Lyle, and he hesitantly returned the hug. She climbed in the car, and Jarod released the brake.

Without any chance for second thoughts, they were off. As they drove away, Miss Parker watched as Lyle turned around, and saw what she had just caught in the corner of her eye- a black Lincoln, Sweepers pouring out of it. She spotted Sam among them, and his eyes met hers. He nodded to her, and nothing more, and continued towards the house without saying anything to the other Sweepers.

Lyle stood among them, as they brushed past him and towards the house. One last Sweeper stepped out of the Lincoln, held up a gun, and pulled the trigger. Lyle went down, Miss Parker barely heard herself scream his name, and the Lincoln revved it’s engine.
Jarod did the only thing he could do to keep her safe- he slammed down on the gas, and the house disappeared into the distance.