Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter Eight


“I watch from a distance as they all mourn

My chest is on fire, my heart is torn”



“Will you?”

“Ohmigod...” Parker stuttered in surprise. “Ohmigod.”

“Yes or no will suffice.” Jarod laughed. “Yes would be preferred.”

“Yes! Ohmigod, yes!”

“Score!” Jarod murmured, slipping the ring onto her finger.

“What?”

“Catching up on modern pop-culture and slang.” Jarod grinned. “Score.”



Three months later...

The small wedding, attended by only a few people, was difficult nevertheless to put together. Sydney had taken vacation time, and Broots had as well. It took two well crafted alibis to explain why two of Miss Parker’s former co-workers were taking time off at the same time. Ben had graciously offered the use of his Inn for the ceremony and the reception, however small, and the invitation had been accepted readily by both Jarod and Parker.

When asked the question of her real name, and the use of it in the ceremony, Parker had laughed and told everyone she was just going by Parker– old habits die hard, and the absence of her first name was a very, very old habit.

So, it was a fine autumn morning when, in the second story of Ben’s inn, Parker was anxiously attempting to find her veil. Young Debbie Broots, the only other girl present, had joined in on the search but neither of the girls were having much luck. That is, until Debbie found and brought out tuxedo pants, stored in a box under the bed.

“Parker?” The young girl asked inquisitively, holding up the pants. Parker didn’t have an answer.

Meanwhile, in a room down the hall, Jarod was searching desperately for his pants. Clothed still in jeans that were oddly mismatched with the classy shirt and jacket he was wearing, he was having zero luck. Jarod was nearing a panicked state when he found a box in the closet– a box containing a veil.

Merely yards away from each other, the bride and groom puzzled over the missing items, and the items found. That is, until stones tapped against the windows, thrown from below. Both windows were thrown up, and Jarod and Parker stuck their heads out.

Lyle stood beneath them, wide mischievous grin on his face. “Missing something?” He called up. “If so, I know absolutely nothing about it. I’d ask Sydney.” An angry growl erupted from Parker’s throat, and Lyle entered Ben’s kitchen only moments later, asking for ice to place on the high-heel shaped mark on his forehead.

Debbie ran the pants to Jarod, and brought the veil back to Parker, and all was well.

That is, until everyone started to get woozy after a glass of punch, and Jarod found Lyle shattering bottles of wine on the back porch...



“Honeymoon?” Sydney inquired casually the next morning, over a cup of coffee. “If you don’t mind my asking.”

“Oh, Jarod wants to go to this resort in California.”

“Fancy?”

“Disney World.” Lyle, who was listening from the other side of the room, lost his mouthful of coffee. Ben whacked him upside the head with a dish towel, and handed it to the younger Parker twin.

“Wipe it up.” Lyle glared at Ben with a feigned scowl, and Parker smiled to herself. She had a feeling from the very beginning of the whole mess that Ben Miller would make a very good tamer for her younger brother.

“But, I told him I’d rather go to Las Verdad, and he’s just as thrilled.”

“The Truth? How ironic...” Sydney mused quietly. Parker nodded.

“That’s what Jarod said.”

“What did I say?” Jarod asked in a sleepy voice, as he entered the kitchen.

Las Verdad being an ironic choice of resort.”

“Oh.” Ben handed Jarod a cup of coffee as he passed, and Jarod kissed Parker on the forehead before sitting down at the table. “Yeah. We’re leaving this afternoon.”

“Have fun.” Sydney intoned. “I’m leaving this afternoon as well, but it’s only so I can start work again tomorrow.”

“Have fun.” Jarod returned with a grin.