Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: Please oh please oh please carefully read the words to the song. They are important to the feelings I’m trying to express for the characters! Thanks. And review! No more chapters unless I get reviews! “Feedback feeds the soul, as gas feeds a truck. Some writers are like Dodge- without their feed, they are like rocks.” -Unknown. Actually, off-topic, ever wonder about that? Why do they call it Dodge and why are they like rocks? Isn’t that kinda contradictory? Look, Mommy. I’m Dodging a couple Rocks. And I’m no longer making sense. Read away!

Chapter Four

“The midnight robe cloaks the pealing brass

Shattering silence as shattering glass”



Jarod stood in the doorway, leaning against the oak frame, watching her sleep. She looked peaceful, undisturbed, and calm. They had made it to Canada, to a cabin he bought some time ago. It was now two AM, and officially their first morning in the cabin- but he couldn’t sleep. He had to see her, to know she was there and that she was for real.

Just two weeks ago, the situation wasn’t one he would have imagined possible, and now he was living it. It was too good to be true. A pattering on the window caught his attention, and he looked up to see that it was sprinkling outside. Miss Parker, known to be a light sleeper, opened her eyes and blinked.

“Jarod? What time is it?”

“About two.” He whispered in reply, neither of them sure why they were whispering. Miss Parker looked to the window, and saw the rain. Her face lit up, and she sprung out of bed. Jarod was halfway down the stairs after her before he was aware that they had moved. Miss Parker pulled on his hand, trying to hurry him up.

“What are we doing?” He asked in a whisper, a confused smile on his face. She grinned back.

“It’s a magic moment.” She answered, flinging open the door.

“We’re in pajamas!” He called out, as she ran out past the porch. Jarod had no choice but to follow. Crickets whirred their violinist legs faster with the rain, and the million drops of water pittered and pattered against the roof, the porch, and the car in a musical pattern.

“Listen, to the music.” Miss Parker instructed, holding Jarod’s hands as the rain washed over them and made them pleasantly damp. It was a warm rain, with a cool breeze, a perfect summer night. He listened for a moment, head tilted to the side.

“Let’s dance.” Jarod suggested, caught up in the moment. Miss Parker, if she had wanted to protest, had no chance- for Jarod started spinning in circles. She laughed, and copied his motions. They spun in the rain, until they ended up in each other’s arms- breathless and wet. Jarod grinned down at her, and gave her a friendly, hug-like squeeze. He leaned close to her ear, as if he was going to kiss her, then whispered.

“You’re it.” And with that, he darted off into the dewy dark. Miss Parker laughed, and gave a humored shout of protest, and chased after him. She rounded the corner of the house, and he jumped out of the shadows.

It was instinct- she squealed. Jarod laughed and pointed to a hill not far off.

“Let’s go up there.” The night had already been full of unexplainable actions- dancing in the rain, tag in which the runner caught the hunter, so Miss Parker just nodded. They climbed the hill hand in hand. Just as they reached the top, the rain ceased, and a swift wind blew.

“See, I told you it was a magic moment.” Miss Parker spoke softly, and Jarod nodded in silent agreement.

“Look,” He pointed, “The stars.” They looked up into the sky together, the heavens ablaze with silvery specks of light on a deep blue canvas.

“It’s beautiful.” Miss Parker breathed, gazing at the stars.

“You’re beautiful.” Jarod retorted, eyes now focused on her.

“Thank you, Jarod. For everything.”

“Thank you, Parker. For trusting me.” His arms encircled her shoulders, and together they watched the stars twinkle.

***

Miss Parker climbed down the stairs, refreshed after the midmorning nap; to hear someone playing a piano. She tiptoed further to investigate, and found Jarod playing with the keys. His fingers flew rapidly, with the speed and grace of an experienced pianist. He was playing a tune she had never heard before, and humming with it. Then, as if he sensed her presence in the room, he spun.

“Oh, good. You’re awake.” Jarod spoke, a red tinge creeping onto his cheeks as he stared at the piano keys.

“What were you playing?”

“Because- I mean, something I wrote for you. I was going to record it, and send it to you after my next Pretend.”

“Play it then.” She urged, sitting down on the sofa. He shook his head indecisively. “Go on.” Miss Parker spoke with a smile, almost enjoying his discomfort. Jarod slowly nodded, and his fingers returned to the keys. It started out slow, then gained speed- staying soft all the while. Miss Parker closed her eyes, immersing herself in the music, when Jarod began to sing.

His voice was a strong tenor, exploring the full tenor scale as he sang- precisely hitting the higher notes yet still able to reach the lower ones. The words of the song- undoubtedly by Jarod as well- made her vision blur, and Miss Parker had to wipe away a tear.

“Because you love me

I have faced a million storms in years gone by

When the days were long

When you were gone

My eyes never ran dry

Because you love me

I would stand against the wind and raging sea

And when I felt alone

I remembered home

And it gave me strength to be

Because you love me

I would catch the stars and braid them in your hair

When all was dark

You were losing heart

Their twinkle said I care

Because you love me

Because you love me

I always knew that you were true

I always showed my love for you

I always know that when you go

You’ll always be watching me

Because you love me

I have braved a thousand pains in days gone by

When the years were long

When you were gone

I found the strength to cry

Because you love me

I would rather die than live without you here

I’m nearing home

Don’t feel alone

Wipe away that tear

Because you love me

I will promise to the very day I’m lost

Do what I can

To be Superman

Regardless of the cost

Because you love me

Because you love me

I always knew that you were true

I always showed my love for you

I always know that when you go

You’ll always be watching me

Because you love me

I see things new

Because you love me

Or is it

Because I love you?”